Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Examples of play: combat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't played Descent 2E yet, but I've read through the rules, and they seem pretty straightforward. Still, I'd like to be sure I understand combat, particularly which dice to use. Are there any examples of play available (aside from those in the rulebook) that don't contain spoilers? Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat is actually pretty simple. I'll try and condense it to the basic rules, and if you've got any questions feel free to ask.

First off, you need to figure out who's attacking, with what weapon, and what the target is. Weapons are either melee or ranged, and sometimes there's special abilities that work off of keywords in the weapon's description, but we can cover that later. The main thing to know is if you need to figure out if you have enough range, or if you're just up front smacking the thing.

Each weapon has colored cubes on the card, that match the dice. Just grab the dice that match the colors and roll them. Your target also has colored cubes for defense; again, roll those dice.

Now, to compare the symbols. Ignore the defense dice for now. First off, check to see if you hit. If you're doing a melee attack, you hit automatically unless the blue die rolls an X. For ranged, count how many squares are between you and the target (including the target's square, but not the attacker's). Then, look at the numbers on the dice, add them up, and you hit if that total is equal to at least the distance between the two figures.

After that, look how many surges (lightning bolts) you roll. Every weapon has at least one surge power, and sometimes you can get extra powers from your character or class. Each surge power can only be triggered once per attack however, so if you've got something that gives +1 (wound) for a surge, and roll two surges, you still only get one wound. Note that sometimes you can spend surges on getting extra range, so make sure you take that into consideration when you see if you hit or not. Also note that all heroes can spend a surge to recover a fatigue; again, only once per attack

Finally, look how many heart symbols are on the dice you rolled. That's how much damage you deal. Add any heart symbols from surge powers or other abilities, and that's your total damage. Now, you look at what the defender rolled; each shield symbol reduces the damage by 1. Subtract the shields from the hearts, and that's your final damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the Play By Forums here, there are 3 games going on right now and it illustrates quite nicely how the game plays.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernan Stanton
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Trapped In A World I Never Made...
mbmbmbmbmb
You could check out gameplay videos by critshappen and hats4jesus in the videos section. They do show a fat goblin (encounter 1) and first blood (intro quest) play throughs and it's not spoiling much as these are the very first quests you will take on in the campaign. Hope these help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NerdyCat wrote:
They do show a fat goblin (encounter 1) ... these are the very first quests you will take on in the campaign. Hope these help.

You don't have to do Fat Goblin as your first chosen quest. You can do the Act I quests in whichever order you please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the very helpful replies! We played through "First Blood", and I think we did handle combat correctly, for the most part. One question I had was whether ranged attacks auto-miss if they roll an "x" on the blue die. Or do ranged never use the blue die?

Now that I've played that scenario, I will indeed look at some video plays. And I hadn't thought of looking at the Play by Forum plays -- great idea! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You always use the dice on the weapon card. So far, every single weapon uses the blue die, but by the rules it's technically possible to have a weapon that doesn't use it.

That aside, yes, all attacks auto-miss if you roll an X, whether it's ranged or melee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The blue die is known as the "attack" die, so every attack uses it. The red and yellow dice are "power" dice, boosts to your attack. Red is heavy damage, while Yellow is some range,surge, and damage.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! That helps. I think I've also gotten to used to the dice icons, the colors of which were a bit hard to discern at first -- especially for defense dice. It looks like most (all?) the heroes use one grey defense die at campaign start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the base game heroes do, the Conversion Kit heroes have a couple Brown die and Black die heroes.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.