Subject: Some More House Rules - Extra Zombie Activation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin O'Mara
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything about this game rocks, except for one main problem that has come up during the games I have played. My gaming group has been using all of the extra walkers, runners, fatties, and abomination devil in our games, but still run out of walkers sometimes. It kind of ruins the game when you reach red danger level and are almost to victory and then the walkers take 2-3 extra activations and kill the whole team in one fell swoop.

What my friends and I have come up with is that no matter what, during the zombie turn, between extra activation cards and running out of walker models the zombies may not take more than 1 extra activation. Meaning that if we are out of zombies and the first card is a walker spawn the zombies take and extra turn, but then if another walker spawn or walker extra activation card pops up the zombies don't get to take an extra activation. Also, as an extra measure I have brought out my collection of extra zombies from other games

On a side note about using extra models, it is really fun to have 2 abominations on the board at once without Dave the Geek in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's a pretty terrible house rule. The whole point is not to let the zombies get out of hand and you are and they tear you apart; that's how the game wins aghainst you. You need to start handling the crowds better. As is the extra zombies from the Kickstarter make the game twice as easy as it was supposed to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Mara
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They way my friends and I looked at it, we would rather the board choke up with over 60 walkers (since I have plenty of zombies from other games) than they just suddenly win. The fact that on a map with 4 spawn zones, once you reach red zone an average of like 20+ zombies spawn per turn makes it really hard to stop them from going over the limit of 40/60 zombies and gaining extra activations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Warhammer wrote:
They way my friends and I looked at it, we would rather the board choke up with over 60 walkers (since I have plenty of zombies from other games) than they just suddenly win. The fact that on a map with 4 spawn zones, once you reach red zone an average of like 20+ zombies spawn per turn makes it really hard to stop them from going over the limit of 40/60 zombies and gaining extra activations.

Thats the point though.
The game is designed to KILL you.
You are NOT supposed to win.
But good job if you do.
Thats the way I understood it, and the way weve played.
Knowing the odds are slim, but what choice do we have.
And getting into the red, unless a Scenario calls for you to get that high or kill a bunch of Zombies, spread the kills around more, and you hopefully wont end up in red at all.
Again, depending on the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone thought about throwing in runners, if you're all out of walkers, instead of extra turns? (Runners would follow the runner rules.) Extra walker turns is a bit of a bummer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But with how few runners there are, won't you just end up with a ton of those getting extra turns? The sounds worse than the extra survivor turns.

If you really want to, remove the extra-walkers'-turn card, and limit it to the walkers getting only 1 extra turn per zombies' turn. Beyond that, you may want to try avoiding the zombies early on to stay out of the yellow zone, and have someone focus on population control once you do hit yellow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Wilson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Honestly, I dislike the extra activation rule greatly. It may be unintentional, but it stinks of pay to win. Basically,anyone who pays them for more zombies has easier games. If you really wanted a house rule to make this easier, start using dice or tokens for walkers your missing. It would be just the same as if you shelled out money to them for more zombie figures.

Another reason to hate it, is, it breaks theme big time. Runners are fast zombies, they move two spaces. But on most maps, when you run out of walkers, they can be moving up to 5 times per turn! They're walkers! They shouldnt be moving like that. Forcing your players into combat they dont need to perform is senseless.

Everyone knows in a zombie apocalyse scenario, killing all the zombies is not your first priority
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Kucera
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
static
badge
static
mbmbmbmbmb
darkgeneralmax wrote:
It may be unintentional, but it stinks of pay to win. Basically,anyone who pays them for more zombies has easier games.

Eh, I certainly don't follow that line of reasoning. The rulebook specifies how many zombies of each sort you're supposed to use, anyone using the extra Abomination Pack minis is technically breaking the rules. Also there's nothing stopping you from using your own counters as extra zombies if you want to. It's physically impossible for the game to provide you with a literally infinite supply of zombie minis, after all - our group has run out of zombies even using the extra Abomination Pack zombies. If it bothers you just get some small change and say that walkers are pennies, runners dimes, and fatties quarters, or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Wilson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
sekhmet wrote:
darkgeneralmax wrote:
It may be unintentional, but it stinks of pay to win. Basically,anyone who pays them for more zombies has easier games.

The rulebook specifies how many zombies of each sort you're supposed to use, anyone using the extra Abomination Pack minis is technically breaking the rules.

The Rulebook states how many zombies are included with the game, but it never restricts you to that number.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying they are intentionally trying to coerce people into buying more minis. I'm just saying the rules, coupled with their decision to sell extra minis, created the situation as a side effect.

As for the game providing you with an unlimited number of zombies, they dont HAVE to provide them. They could just simply say to come up with your own tokens (as both of us have just suggested), to represent additional zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a VERY un-climatic way of losing.
My thought is this. The people at Guillotinegames realized people would run out of walkers.
This was what they did to handle it.

I wish there were a better way, but I can't think of one

Don't know if there will be more Zombies with the expansions (probably not) , hopefully...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing weve tried, when a extra activation card comes up, we pull another card, and place double the zombies called for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Deason
msg tools
One idea I wanted to try but never got a chance to test it is this: when outof minis to produce a sspawn, instead of a sweeping extra activation among all the corresponding type you instead extra activate the amount you are short with zombies closest to the noisiest group. Thematically it makes sense because the groups closest to the noisiest groups are more "active" due to proximity to the survivors. Of course with the inclusion of barricades now this may be a mute point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex A.
Germany
Koblenz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After some games i used a related alternative to Josh's idea.

If (for example) walkers appear and i don't have enough in reserve
so i activate the difference of walkers i can't spawn nearest to this
spwan point.

e.g. first spwan point: 6 walker must appear, i have only 4 left,
so i activate 2 walker nearest to this spawn point.
next spawn point: another 8 walker must appear, no walkers in stock,
the 8 walker nearest to this spawn point are activated.
and so on... equal if walker, runner or fatties.

With this line of action there is a kind of zombie activation like
the rules pretend and i can concentrate me to the situation next to
my character. (bad, if your charakter is near a spawn point devil )
This works fine for me.

Second thing is the split of zombies. Instead of adding a zombie when
an odd group split up, the remained zombie follows the group where more
zombies on his way. (perhaps he 'think' theres something to eat )
Alternatively he is so dumb and stay on his field because he can't
decide which group to follow.

regards
Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's some good suggestions for house rules but personally I don't think that they're needed. The splitting and extra activations rules are a design choice which are supposed to ensure that you are controlling the zombie movement and numbers as much as possible. Do away with those and you are making the game easier. That's fine if you are happy with that, but you should be aware that you are affecting the balance of the game.

The one time where those rules are annoying is when they combine though. Especially if an extra activation causes splitting which would then cause another activation. However, at that point there's so many zombies on the table that it's only a matter of time before your zombie food usually!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex69 wrote:

Alternatively he is so dumb and stay on his field because he can't
decide which group to follow.

Thanks for this. I have a friend who's totally against the splitting rule, and I'm against the idea of rolling a dice to determine wether the zombie goes left or right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
darkgeneralmax wrote:
Honestly, I dislike the extra activation rule greatly. It may be unintentional, but it stinks of pay to win. Basically,anyone who pays them for more zombies has easier games.

Actually, everyone with the extra Season One Kickstarter zombies has the Walk of the Dead cards, which place enormous numbers of walkers on the board at the higher activation levels. Unless those are taken out of the spawn deck--and very few people would think to do that--they run out of walkers about as fast as you folks without the extra zombies do, with the additional difficulty of having many more walkers on the board when they start going nuts.

Adding zombies to the game without adding those cards would result in an easier game, though. Something to consider before you houserule in zombie tokens or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emmit svenson wrote:
darkgeneralmax wrote:
Honestly, I dislike the extra activation rule greatly. It may be unintentional, but it stinks of pay to win. Basically,anyone who pays them for more zombies has easier games.

Actually, everyone with the extra Season One Kickstarter zombies has the Walk of the Dead cards, which place enormous numbers of walkers on the board at the higher activation levels. Unless those are taken out of the spawn deck--and very few people would think to do that--they run out of walkers about as fast as you folks without the extra zombies do, with the additional difficulty of having many more walkers on the board when they start going nuts.

Adding zombies to the game without adding those cards would result in an easier game, though. Something to consider before you houserule in zombie tokens or whatever.

Great response. And those of us with more zombies (note I didn't get the season one KS but I have season two now so have plenty of standard zombies) don't always use them all because of the way it affects the balance of play. You can pay to make the game easier if you choose, but easier doesn't mean better. It's why I like the splitting rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.