New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
I've been hearing rumblings about a new Heroscape exclusive. The Elite Onyx Vipers will be exclusive to WalMart - and will be packaged in special Master sets.

There was a hoax involving pictures and attributes of these figures over at the Heroscape fansite, but apparently it is widely accpeted the the existence of these exclusive figures is very real.

Anyone know anything more concrete?

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
A Walmart employee at HeroScapeHQ says that the master set that includes them will be on the shelves for the day after Thanksgiving sale. That's all I've really heard.

All I know is that they had better be a unique squad and not a common one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They are indeed real. They should appear at your local WalMart hopefully in time for Thanksgiving, but don't hold your breath (I still haven't seen Jandar's Oath in Northern California). The "early" photo of the Elite Onyx Vipers Army Card was indeed a malicious prank perpetrated by one of the moderators of heroscapehq.com. Just one more black mark in their book.

For more info:
http://www.heroscapehq.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
This is reportedly the real stats card for the EOV

Hey...at least their Unique, right? Right!?

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willson
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why don't they just bring out the blind boosters already and be done with it.

Don't even mention that thought again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, those are some nasty snakes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malechi wrote:
The "early" photo of the Elite Onyx Vipers Army Card was indeed a malicious prank perpetrated by one of the moderators of heroscapehq.com. Just one more black mark in their book.
laughI think it is funny! Malicious? shake I think not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny? It could have been had the circumstances been different, but they weren't.

You had a moderator and a member conspire to create a fake card. Then create a fake user name to announce it. The member then went to a computer koisk to upload the image so that his IP address could not be traced. If it were not malicious, why go to all that trouble? If it were simply a joke why not just make a joke? It went so far as the moderator and "fake" member perpetraiting the hoax arguing with themselves. Resulting in another mod GrungeBob being made to look the fool, in hindsight, as he defended the moderator.

Finally, the card image was uploaded into a thread during a time of high conjecture on the Elite Onyx Vipers. There were multiple threads all concerning the Elite Onyx Vipers, those threads were regularly combined and moved. Even now the thread that contained the image is titled "THE BIG HOAX", which, if you didn't know the new title of the thread, you might not know that it concerned the faked card! So there are now members and casual reader guests still believing the fake card to be real.

The reason given for the hoax was that members were salivating for info on the Elite Onyx Vipers so much that they could easily believe any tidbit. Feelings were hurt on purpose. Read the definition of malicious, becuase it was indeed a malicious act.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still funny to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MMM: Thanks for posting the real stats. The goofy hoax detour notwithstanding, these look to be a fun team to use, especially with the Warlord and some other Venoc Vipers.

My stats pages will be updated soon for those who care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like they're already hitting shelves as well. You can already order these from Walmart.com!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Luub
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'Exclusive' and 'Promo' figures suck. I had a complete set until Nerak (the Toys-R-Us promo fig) came out. Now I don't. So, I have no reason to try to collect them any more, do I? Great marketing, Hasbro.

Oh, yeah, plus I will never buy anything at Wal-Mart if I have any choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vipers, Schmipers. I want to know about the release of the Flaming Drag Queens booster pack and their hero, Paul La Rue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'd trade a Nerak for a Onyx Vipers set... Any takers?

Plan B: Hope for Wal-Mart to put these on sale for the holidays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my thought. Get a set down to about $20 around the day after Thanksgiving and I might get some vipers. Otherwise I'll do without since I don't have any of Maalloddinnnn's Prophecy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Malechi wrote:
If it were simply a joke why not just make a joke?

Because they wanted to be convincing. And they were. And its hilarious.

Up here in Canada only ONE expansion has ever showed up - the non-bridge half of Utgar's Rage, for $30. $5 A FIGURE?

I would very much enjoy this game if it was a heck of a lot cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
Vipers, Schmipers. I want to know about the release of the Flaming Drag Queens booster pack and their hero, Paul La Rue.

Another ugly hoax!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Up here in Canada only ONE expansion has ever showed up - the non-bridge half of Utgar's Rage, for $30. $5 A FIGURE?

Ummm... that's $6 a figure.

It's a bargain! (relatively)

You haven't purchased any other miniature games, have you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
You might be shocked to learn that I've avoided miniature games due to the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quixotequest wrote:

Plan B: Hope for Wal-Mart to put these on sale for the holidays.

This sentence struck me as very funny... their moral stance may not allow them to!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
this is the first ive heard about the elite vipers, and i have to say im a little pissed. Ive run around and picked up every expansion to this point. not to mention i was lucky i heard about the nerak promotion and was able to find a toys r us giving them out. now im gonna have to buy another whole master set just to get these 3 new vipers. what am i gonna do with an extra set of unique master set figures?
i was a little mad about the nerak thing too, but i let it pass because i was able to get my hands on one and they were free. but this just sucks. i love the game, but im gonna be broke.
well i guess if anybody gets their hands on an extra set of these new vipers keep me in mind. $$$$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
scribidinus wrote:

Quote:

Another ugly hoax!

Charlie's Angels with Charlie? Rumor has it that Charlie is represented by an empty space in the booster box. There's just a unit card for him. Is that a hoax too?

Ya know, I have one Master Set, 2 bridge sets and 1 Volcano set. That's really plenty of playing area. I got in late in the game so I don't have all the squad expansions but I would rather not have duplicate basic game figs just to get three Elite Vipers. I can buy terrain tiles only on e-bay.

I especially hate seeing Wal-Mart being offered the exclusive special Master Set. Ya know just because W, the retailer, marks stuff down from the MSRP, it doesn't mean they are making less of a mark up than anybody else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh. This is an ugly one for me. I already have two master sets and have withheld on buying more-- even at half the price. Mainly, two is more than plenty, and second, why should I even have to buy a new master set to get at the exclusives? Well, heck, I don't have everything I dabble in, anyway, so why should Heroscape be any different?

Actually, this may be a nice deal for late-comers to Heroscape. They get something no one else has out of the box. For once, the completists and over-purchasers are the ones faced with a spending dilemma while the new players get a bonus for jumping into the game that the old-timers didn't. (I'm not saying it's right or even smart. Just that this seems like funny table-turning on the usual late-comer scenarios.)

Still, as long as the stat card is made available, I can download that and it can go in the box with the "Nearak" card. I'll just call my cobblers "Elite Phonics Vipers..."

....And just where IS all that Jendar's Oath stuff anyway??? My FLGS got some 'splainin' to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mc
United States
Dunkirk
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read on HQ that someone indicated the dice were colored differently, for whatever that may be worth.

For 2ed rules and 3 new figs I'll have to wait until this one goes on sale too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dyer
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to the local W/M here in Little Rock, Arkansas (home state for Wal-Mart) and they did not have the onyx viper master sets on sale. Quite a disappointment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.