BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Art and Graphic Design

Subject: card frames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mazurowski
United States
flag msg tools
designer
hello, i am new to the forums here, though i have been lurking bgg every since i found out about super dungeon explore :3

anyway, these card templates are part of a game i am developing. It is a cut throat game for 4 players. The game consists of one 60 card deck. There are three flavors of card. Having playtested a bit with scribbles ontop of pokemon cards, i discovered i really needed bold icons to cut down on reading. I hope the purpose of the icons is apparent without context/art.

being new to trying to develop of board/card game, i'd like some feedback and this sounded like the best place for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These look pretty good. I like the revolver card.

I suggest however you cut down on the sporadic "brightening" of the text, like near the "o" of "Holdings" and "Revolver". This is especially true for the card text of Art Holdings; I'd darken that considerably to improve legibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are alot of threads under the graphic design forums (in Board Game Design) that can help, and many designers on here who will gladly give you direction.

It's hard to say from your brief descriptions, but it looks like you have a basic grasp of how to make a design.

points to consider:

1: The prominent icon (for manually holding a hand of cards) is usually in the upper left.

2: The edges of the face of all cards should be a standard color (which you did here...black)

3: Use a font which is readable at a medium distance...avoid "Fancy" fonts except for where they are useful

4: Use color coding with icons, and keep all things consistent within the rules AND the cards.

that being said I agree with Alain...the faded text is bad. Also, if you are going to use that cool blood splatter as an icon on a card, be prepared to use it everywhere, including the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.