BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: How can these Kickstarter games do this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Haley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hello. I was wondering how a lot of the Kickstarter projects for tabletop games with figurines are able to increase the number of miniatures you get anywhere from 2-5 times the original.

For example, Bones started out with a measly 30 statues, but now it's nearly 200 thanks to over a million dollars in stretch goals. How can they afford to do that?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniat...

I understand that the more they are able to make, the cheaper it gets, but I don't understand how they can just keep adding to the same backer level ($100) indefinitely.

Sedition Wars and Zombicide did it as well. Since I'm not versed in the ways of making these types of products, I was hoping someone could spell it out for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they have a million dollars of stretch goals, does this mean that they've raised a million dollars? Or a million dollars minus Kickstarter's cut anyway.

If people get 200 models for $100, that's 50c each, which seems about right given that they're getting a lot made.

For example here are some platic minis that sell for 35c each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
The cost of the plastic in a miniature is maybe a couple of cents.

The cost to set up a run are staggering.

Make the run large enough and the cost per miniature will approach the cost of the plastic.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
paulidale wrote:
The cost of the plastic in a miniature is maybe a couple of cents.

The cost to set up a run are staggering.

Make the run large enough and the cost per miniature will approach the cost of the plastic.

- Pauli

To give some scale to "staggering", back in the old days when I cared about GW stuff (late 90s, early 00s), it cost (or so I read at the time) GW about 5,000 quid to machine each mould for a sprue of their plastics. The machines they used for injecting into the moulds cost much more. So that box of single-pose black orcs cost that much to set up. A box of their early multi-part, multi-pose stuff had about 4 different sprues, and so cost 4 times as much just to set up. It's no wonder GW saw plastics as a serious investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Making miniatures is like making microprocessors. Most of the costs are set-up costs which remain the same no matter how many you make.

"The first one costs a billion dollars to make. Each one after that costs 50¢"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
DV_Bastian wrote:
I understand that the more they are able to make, the cheaper it gets, but I don't understand how they can just keep adding to the same backer level ($100) indefinitely.

For some additional perspective, $25 of those $100 are for one single, limited-run metal miniature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind too that many companies offer lower prices for larger orders. So a print of say 1000 minis might cost 25c each whole a print of 5000 might cost 15c each. On top of the mold fee.

Varies from factory to factory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Haley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks for the insight, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DV_Bastian wrote:
For example, Bones started out with a measly 30 statues, but now it's nearly 200 thanks to over a million dollars in stretch goals. How can they afford to do that?

Send me a million dollars and I'll show you. Maybe. In a year or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CM Boyd
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I'm about to Kickstart a Card Game that has a ~150 card deck. One of my initial quotes had 1,000 copies costing roughly $8,500 and 10,000 copies costing just over $30,000. It really is all about the scale of economy when it comes to ordering, not just with miniatures, but most other (game) productions as well.

The Following will be a bit more math heavy:

Assuming the jump from 10k to 100k follows the same ratio as 1k to 10k, we'd be looking at 900k^2/8.5k or roughly $105k to produce 100,000 units. Or roughly $1.05 per unit. If I charged $10 per unit, (at 1k we were looking at 8.5 per unit, so $10 isn't unreasonable*) Then I could comfortably increase the level of my production to a 450 card deck instead of a 150 card deck and my costs are only $3.15** per unit.... that I'm charging $10 for. This is why they can get away with giving away 100 miniatures for the same cost as they were doing 30 earlier.

*$10 is actually entirely unreasonably low, since there are Kickstarter fees and shipping fees.
**The costs would probably be lower, because the initial 1.05 is including a much larger initial setup cost which is much less scalable.

EDIT: Added in the * and ** notes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.