flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Players:

Molly, as Lady Mary
Andy, as Goldfinga
Jason, as Fridolin
Patrick, as Sir Moo

We played this Dungeon Fighter session immediately after a failed attempt that saw us get halfway through the dungeon before being vanquished by a particularly dastardly foe (which forced us to roll the dice from the top of our heads as I recall).

With one defeat under our belts, and a solid understanding of what to expect, we carefully chose our heroes for the follow-up attempt. Much thought was given to the various special abilities, which color die they required, and who was sitting where. Basically, we didn't want two characters whose key ability used the same color die as the player to the left, if possible. I was favoring my party heal (green die). To my left, Lady Mary was trying to use Seduction as often as possible (free damage against future monsters is always a good thing). Alternatively, when the party was low on health, we could double up on healing with her blue die party heal ability following my green die roll. When Goldfinga rolled first, or when Lady Mary didn't roll red for Seduction, he rolled Red for his Five-Finger Discount (which I must say single-handedly made Goldfinga the MVP of the party - all of the extra treasure he stole off of monsters was critical to our success). Finally, Fridolin could roll blue for extra damage and used that ability most frequently, although his Enchanting Melody did shut down the special roll requirements of a couple of monsters which helped greatly.

After a rough slog through the first half of the dungeon in the previous game, we absolutely trashed the place on this go. We one-shotted a monster early on thanks to Sir Moo's mad hate for all things undead (rolled a 5 and added 4 for his Sworn Enemy: Undead ability), netting us two bonus dice for having two unused hero dice in the encounter. We snagged another bonus die as well for two-shotting another early encounter.

In the first two sections of dungeon, we took the long path both times, which gave us a treasure room (+2 coins and a random treasure) and a healing fountain (for a full party heal near the beginning of the second dungeon section. We also stocked up at the shops. Fridolin and Sir Moo were packing shields. Andy discovered a propensity for rolling dice off his nose, and so we purchased him a pepper shaker weapon that required the nose roll for some extra damage. We also were able to keep stocked up on +damage and healing items, thanks to having a party of characters who could all carry at least one item.

Our adventure saw us forced to use several special throw types. We had to toss dice under our legs (which proved to be fairly easy), from our heads and noses (fairly hard except for Andy), with our off-hand, off our elbows, while jumping, from below the table height and with eyes closed. Thankfully, we never needed to combine throw types and so managed to scrape through even the more difficult encounters with relative ease.

Because we had an abundance of healing abilities and items (thanks to ol' Goldfinga the loot-stealing maniac) we also never had a single character faint, although there were several times when one or more of us were hovering at just a couple of health points. Still, with savvy use of healing items and strategically opting when to reset the hero dice (causing the whole party to lose health equal to the level of the monster), and what I have to say were some above average dice-throwing skills overall, we kept everyone intact and unscarred throughout the adventure.

We also had a pretty good dungeon layout. Not only did we have a healing fountain in the second section, we had one in the third section as well, just before hitting the final shop before the boss. We were so loaded down with gold at this point (mostly from Goldfinga's Pickpocket ability) that we were able to buy everything we wanted and still have gold leftover to buy up all of the available bonus dice.

The boss monster turned out to be 10 goblins with 1 sword. At first this monster seemed kind of weak. Only 25 health... but wait, what's that special ability on his card? No matter where the die lands on the target, the base damage is 1? Oh man... we quickly assessed our special abilities and weapons. In order to deal maximum damage before running out of dice (and thus losing the game) we would need to cash in all of the +damage items we had, and use weapons and abilities that added damage whenever possible.

And so we did. We threw exploding potions (I believe Lady Mary threw the Crazy Cat Lady she had charmed earlier in the game to add damage to one attack), Andy made ridiculous rolls from his nose and off his head, Jason rolled Fridolin's +2 damage ability. Once our three hero dice were used up, we started in on the bonus dice. Slowly we whittled the Goblin horde's health down, chipping away with each successful roll.

And it all came down to one roll. The 10 Goblins had only 3 health left, and Molly was holding the last bonus die. In order to score the 3 damage necessary to kill the beasties and win the game, she would have to use her weapon, a bow which required a throw from below table height, and score a hit. With the pressure on, she took careful aim.... the die flew... and landed squarely on the target! We had won the game with the last possible toss of the dice! It can't get any closer than that!! There was much rejoicing, and a good time was had by all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Williamson
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report. Played again last night and we ended up against Death (Final Destination) as the boss. Again, his health was whittled down to 3 with one white dice left. No special throw was required and the sacred duty fell upon my shoulders. I meditated for a short while, clicked my wrists and then threw. The dice didn't even make the board. I had choked. Mad props to Molly for holding it together when the time came.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.