Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belgium is liberated but a lot of allied strength has yet to reach the front and both PLUTO markers are far far away. The red ball express allows a turn of intense support. I think landing at Arnhem is madness. It creates a very thin salient with exposed flanks inviting counterattacks. Much better to surround a part of the enemy army and destroy it in detail before he can respond.

September 2. Brest attacked at 1:1 both sides take a hit.

Pincer attack in Holland. Canadians round Antwerp linked up with the British from Eindhoven along the Albert canal with paratroopers landing behind. 4 German divisions were pocketed to be destroyed in exploitation. The pursuit down the right bank of the Scheldt just failed to clear the estuary. Antwerp repaired.

US 3rd army attacked out of Metz and French 1st army took Colmar.

I landed 4 divisions from England at Dieppe but actually only 1 is allowed. The other 3 would have to come ashore at Cherbourg.

Wide gaps in the allied line but the Germans are too weak to attack. Festungs in Rotterdam and Amsterdam. The Germans fall back to the Rhine and the Siegfried line. Panzer Lehr and Hitler Jugend repaired.

October 1. Brest attacked again. The odds rise to 2:1 as the 94th swaps with the reduced 8th infantry. 1 more hit on the defenders.

Utrecht taken and Scheldt estuary cleared. Supports hoarded by the allies.

US 3rd army failed to take Saarbrucken. French 1st army advances towards Strasbourg. The Germans retreat and reform the line again.

October 2. The odds at Brest rise to 4:1 and the port is liberated.

Pluto from Montelimar moved to the Dutch German border. Arnhem taken from the NW with the help of heavy artillery support. That lone support aided 2 regular and 1 exploitation battles. US 1st army cleared Aachen but couldn’t occupy it.

Attack at Saarbrucken failed. French 1st army broke through west of Karlsruhe, exploitation carried the French 5th armoured division over the Rhine.

Hitler lost patience and replaced Model with Runstedt as OB West. The Germans railed reserves to the south but can’t quite close the gap.

November 1. Winter is coming soon but the allies are ready to attack again. 3 Divisions from Brest shipped back to England, this will be slightly faster than moving by road.

101st airborne dropped in Germany. Pincers from Br 2nd & US 1st armies link up with it pocketing 4 divisions which are wiped out in exploitation and Duisberg was captured on the march.

Karlsruhe was open so the French moved in. US 7th army drove north into the Rhineland precipitating a grudging withdrawal from part of the Siegfried line.

In the shortest tenure so far Rundstedt was replaced by Kesselring. Another turn of just 1 replacement and no supports.

Engineers in Marseilles and Bordeaux were just waiting for a Red Ball express marker to make their port operational. That would be lot cheaper than assaulting triple stacked festungs like Brest.

I gave up on the Germans as I couldn't cover the front line anymore and there were 10 turns to go.Even in slack turns without much supports the allies sought out weaker points to attack purely to cause casualties. I think the Germans should have been more aggressive too. Panzer Lehr sat in the Ardennes achieving nothing. A few armoured exploitation attacks on turns 2 & 3 would have saved one dismissal and left more reduced allied divisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the Germans even have a chance in this one? Probably only during the initial landings right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to give them another go once I've mastered landings, Maybe weaken the south and pull back to the Siegried line earlier to strengthen the north.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raynald Foret
France
Thorigné-Fouillard
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I don't know for the various scenari, but in my experience (roughly 10 Grand campaign completed) the Germans is the easier side to play and win a little more than 50% of the GC.

In my opinion, all the landing sites are fascinating to study, but some have very little prospect to break the Siegfried line against a competent German player (Holland, Atlantic coast, and even Britanny).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.