Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does that mean that if all players in a three-player game have increased the speed i.e. turn 8 and 9, nobody can do it in turn 10?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olym Piad
msg tools
Re: Players can't increase the speed of the peleton twice in a row
First, since in one game turn only one team's support cyclists can accelerate the peloton, the situation described can not happen. However, since it is possible for one team to announce pursuit and advance the peloton once in game turn 8 and the same team do the same again in game turn 9 then that team would not be able to announce the pursuit and advance the peloton in game turn 10 or any other game turn until another team has announced pursuit and advanced the peloton. Basically once a team ( say team A ) announces pursuit and moves the peloton one extra space per turn and does this two times ( not necessarily two turns in a row) before another team ( say team B,C,or D) announces a pursuit then that team ( team A ) could not pursue again until another team ( team B,C,or D) chooses to pursue with the peloton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Schiewer
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this explanation - I understood it to mean consecutive turns not just consecutive player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emanresureal wrote:
First, since in one game turn only one team's support cyclists can accelerate the peloton, the situation described can not happen.

???
Is that really correct?
When we play every team can advance the peloton in the same turn and the last team to do so, will be the first team to be asked about advancing the peloton in the next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olym Piad
msg tools
I believe so. In the rule section : " Peleton's movement. The second bullet down explains : " If the peloton's pursuit is announced the peloton's movement will be increased by 1 square." I would believe if the designer wanted all teams to be able to announce one pursuit each per game turn then the line would explain : " If the peloton's pursuit(s) are announced the peloton's movement will be increased by 1 square for each pursuit announced during that game turn ".

One rule line that might be creating the uncertainty is the case a few lines under which explains : " If the peloton's movement is 5 or more, all cyclists ... " . In that case if the pelotons move could only be increased by 1 ( since only one team could affect the movement ) to a maximum roll of 5 with a + 1 increase to a total of 6 then the peloton's movement could not be more than 6. So the rule seems like it should state : " If the peloton's movement is 5 or 6, all cyclists ....", but it does not state this nor does the peloton tile show the 5 or 6 but also shows the 5 + as the rules indicate .

However, upon further reading a few more lines down there is the rule stipulation that explains : " If there are no cyclists left in the peleton, the peleton's movement will be increased by one square. " which makes a move of up to 7 possible. But since there are no cyclists in the peloton which allows the move of up to 7 what cyclists will pay the (5 + >2 )energy peloton move penalty ? Again, further reading of the rules shows the answer. It is possible for the peloton to absorb a cyclist back into the peloton during this move of 7. Which the absorbed cyclist would then have to burn the amount of energy listed on the peloton tile : ( 5 + >2 ) and at the same time following the rule that states : " If the peloton's move is 5 or more ( in this case 7 ) all cyclists : - in the back of the peloton pay 1 energy point, - in the front of the peloton pay two energy points . " This depends on whether the peloton : 1. gets next to the cyclist ( in which case the absorbed cyclist would now be in the front of the peloton and would pay 2 energy), or : 2. whether the peloton overtakes the cyclist ( in which case the cyclist would now be in the back of the peloton and have to pay 1 energy.) So the reasoning behind using " 5+ " on the peloton tile and " 5 or more " in the rules instead of using " 5 or 6 " on both is now understood.

Since the rules examples above are deliberately written in the rule book and not mistakes, misprints, or language misinterpretations then there could be only one interpretation of the rule and that is : One team and one team only (per turn ) can choose to accelerate and move the peloton 1 extra square per turn. Other teams being able to accelerate the peloton only after the first team declines or reaches two accelerations in a row ( not necessarily game turns in a row). And even then only one team per turn can accelerate the peloton 1 extra square per turn.

Of course not being the designer, I am not 100% sure if this is what he was trying to communicate, but the rules do show this although not so clearly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna Genovese
Italy
flag msg tools
I make an example.
My team decides to accelerate the peloton. The next turn, my team accelerates again. At the third turn, I cannot accelerate. I must wait at least one turn for another team to accelerate. It may occur that no team accelerates. I then can accelerate if I want.

Furthermore, only 1 team can accelerate during a turn. And the choice depends on the position of the support riders on the peloton tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.