Popular Tags: [View All]
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, my understanding is that you can only play action cards of a given type during a matching action on your turn--i.e., if you're moving, you can only play action cards that have the 'move' icon in the upper left.

Does this include tapping cards? The rules seem to indicate that you can tap any card at any time for +1 move, +1 block, etc. But, what's the purpose of the icons in the upper left (and limitation on playing certain cards only at certain times), then? I haven't played more than a single round yet, so maybe it'll be obvious when I play a full game, but so far I haven't seen any cards that you would have any reason to play outside of the matching action phase (other than for tapping).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
So, my understanding is that you can only play action cards of a given type during a matching action on your turn--i.e., if you're moving, you can only play action cards that have the 'move' icon in the upper left.

This is not quite correct. Move cards may only be played during movement, combat cards may only be played during combat, and influence cards may only be played during interaction or when you have some other need for influence (Diplomacy, Learning). But special cards (Mana Draw, Crystallize, etc.) may be played at any time during your turn.

DavidT wrote:
Does this include tapping cards? The rules seem to indicate that you can tap any card at any time for +1 move, +1 block, etc. But, what's the purpose of the icons in the upper left (and limitation on playing certain cards only at certain times), then? I haven't played more than a single round yet, so maybe it'll be obvious when I play a full game, but so far I haven't seen any cards that you would have any reason to play outside of the matching action phase (other than for tapping).

Thanks!

You may play a card sideways for 1 Move during movement. You may play a card sideways for 1 Attack or 1 Block during combat. You may play a card sideways for 1 Influence during interaction or when you have some other need for influence (Diplomacy, Learning).

Edit: There are also healing cards (hand symbol) which may be played at any time during your turn except during a combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
"Tapping"!?

Playing a card sideways gives you 1 Move, 1 Influence, 1 Attack or 1 Block. You would play them for Move when you are moving, Influence when you need to use Influence, etc.

You are right that there is no point playing a card sideways for 1 Attack when interacting with locals for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePustilnik wrote:
DavidT wrote:

This is not quite correct. Move cards may only be played during movement, combat cards may only be played during combat, and influence cards may only be played during interaction or when you have some other need for influence (Diplomacy, Learning). But special cards (Mana Draw, Crystallize, etc.) may be played at any time during your turn.

You may play a card sideways for 1 Move during movement. You may play a card sideways for 1 Attack or 1 Block during combat. You may play a card sideways for 1 Influence during interaction or when you have some other need for influence (Diplomacy, Learning).

Thanks very much. So, just to clarify: When you say I can play a card sideways for 1 Move during movement, it can be any kind of card? For example, if I want to gain 1 Move during movement, can I play a Combat card sideways to do this?

My confusion arises from the fact that I think the answer to this question is "yes," but if so I don't really understand the limitation of only playing "Move" cards during movement, etc. From what I've seen (and I've only played one round), non-Move cards don't give any bonuses for movement, anyway, so what would be the point of playing them during movement (aside from playing them sideways)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an important distinction being implied that I see it a lot in these forums.

A "card played sideways" provides "1 of something", NOT "+1 to something".

I could take my opening hand of 5 cards and play them all sideways for 5 Move. I do not need to play a Move card to generate Move and then play a card sideways to add to that move.

Of course, maybe that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Silverthorn
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:

Thanks very much. So, just to clarify: When you say I can play a card sideways for 1 Move during movement, it can be any kind of card? For example, if I want to gain 1 Move during movement, can I play a Combat card sideways to do this?

Yep.

DavidT wrote:

My confusion arises from the fact that I think the answer to this question is "yes," but if so I don't really understand the limitation of only playing "Move" cards during movement, etc.

What the rules are referring to are the two distinct parts of your turn: movement and action. You must move first (if you move at all) and then take an action. You cannot, for example, take an action and then move. Hence, you can generally only play movement cards during the movement phase of your turn, though, as mentioned above, you can play any card sideways to get +1 move, and you can heal at any time except combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Maloof

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
DavidT wrote:
My confusion arises from the fact that I think the answer to this question is "yes," but if so I don't really understand the limitation of only playing "Move" cards during movement, etc. From what I've seen (and I've only played one round), non-Move cards don't give any bonuses for movement, anyway, so what would be the point of playing them during movement (aside from playing them sideways)?

You're actually correct that mostly those icons in the upper left don't matter. (I played my first several games without paying any attention to them, and I still kind of wish they weren't a thing.) There are only a very few advanced cards where it does make a difference.

For instance, one card gives Move 2 and Heal 1, but it only has a move icon on it, so you're not allowed to play it after combat for the healing alone. Another gives +4 influence and +2 fame, but you can't play it during movement for the fame alone (unless you've played some other card that allows you to use the influence for something). It is legitimately a bit confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
and by the way, 'tapping' is a completely different game. I just happened to get a little explanation of the other game the other day, otherwise I would have no idea why you use that word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mag74b wrote:
and by the way, 'tapping' is a completely different game. I just happened to get a little explanation of the other game the other day, otherwise I would have no idea why you use that word.

Sorry. Old habits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
mag74b wrote:

Sorry. Old habits.

Well, although the tapping mechanic turns up identically in some games (like some of FFG's living card games), it's important to note that cards being played sideways in Mage Knight are not really being tapped as in Magic. The cards you're using for +1 attack/block/etc. are not already in play. They're being played from the hand sideways to indicate that they're being used for the +1 rather than their basic text. (Not the world's most important distinction, but I'd avoid using the word 'tap' for that reason: it's not quite the same mechanic.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
DavidT wrote:
mag74b wrote:

Sorry. Old habits.

Well, although the tapping mechanic turns up identically in some games (like some of FFG's living card games), it's important to note that cards being played sideways in Mage Knight are not really being tapped as in Magic. The cards you're using for +1 attack/block/etc. are not already in play. They're being played from the hand sideways to indicate that they're being used for the +1 rather than their basic text. (Not the world's most important distinction, but I'd avoid using the word 'tap' for that reason: it's not quite the same mechanic.)

Sure. Agreed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.