Hide
25 Posts

BattleCON: War of Indines» Forums » General

Subject: What is the point of the character stands? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drift -
msg tools
They only seem capable of damaging the character tokens :S There's no way to actually open them to allow anything near as thick as those tokens to slide safely in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fábio Fontes
Portugal
Torres Vedras
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
That seems to be a common problem. What can I tell you is to grab a butter knife, and use it to loosen the plastic a lil'. Worked for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fontes wrote:
That seems to be a common problem. What can I tell you is to grab a butter knife, and use it to loosen the plastic a lil'. Worked for me.

This is what I had to do, as well. It sounds like Level 99 Games will be looking for higher-quality stands next time, which is good, because this was my only real complaint about the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Fontes wrote:

This is what I had to do, as well. It sounds like Level 99 Games will be looking for higher-quality stands next time, which is good, because this was my only real complaint about the components.

We're going to have higher quality everything next time--bigger box, Dominion-style storage solution, larger board, better stands, more cohesive art (and more art in general), larger rulebook with backstories, etc. Devastation of Indines will be comparable to any "Triple A" title you see coming out of Fantasy Flight or Days of Wonder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
mbmbmbmbmb
I stuck nickels into the stands the first time I stored them. This has loosened them up to the point that the stands slip into them easily but still stay put during gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
We're going to have higher quality everything next time--bigger box, Dominion-style storage solution, larger board, better stands, more cohesive art (and more art in general), larger rulebook with backstories, etc. Devastation of Indines will be comparable to any "Triple A" title you see coming out of Fantasy Flight or Days of Wonder

I'm not a big fan of the redesigned character cards only because of the inconsistency with War of Indines. Out of curiosity, is there any chance that redesigned character cards will be released for the older characters? When I combine the two, I'd like for it to look like one big game instead of two games I've put together. It's just a quirck of mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Warner
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the new box hold all of the cards from the original as well? Also, I might go for an AEG style storage solution (Thunderstone, Nightfall) instead of a Dominion style.

-randyw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the Fantasy Flight stands which work really well, and fits the standups perfectly.

I like the smaller box or half sized box that Ascension Storm of Souls uses. I usually never take my Dominion box out because I bring so many games to game nights space is at a premium and since the Dominion cards only take up a quarter of the box, I pack the cards into something else. But the Ascension box is not that big, so it's a lot easier to carry & the original BattleCon box is awesome too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like the compact size of my BattleCon box, although I suppose it would be nice if I could sort out the cards into different slots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please, please, please make sure the box can hold sleeved cards. I love the original BattleCON box becuase of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
delios shadowsoul
msg tools
mbmb
I have to say that i LOVE the smaller box size. I can still put all the cards in the box sleeved, and it is small enough i don't feel like i'm hauling around half a game store with me when i take it somewhere (yay dominion =p). I kind of agree that the smaller ascension box would be a dandy size tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sputang wrote:
Please, please, please make sure the box can hold sleeved cards. I love the original BattleCON box becuase of this.

Agreed. If the new game box doesn't hold cards in sleeves, it's all just going in the garbage anyways. I need my sleeves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AtomicReaction wrote:
sputang wrote:

Agreed. If the new game box doesn't hold cards in sleeves, it's all just going in the garbage anyways. I need my sleeves!

I'm really intrigued that so many people are putting their BattleCon cards in sleeves. I never bothered, since there isn't any shuffling in the game to cause wear and tear. Am I unusual in this regard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fábio Fontes
Portugal
Torres Vedras
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
I'm really intrigued that so many people are putting their BattleCon cards in sleeves. I never bothered, since there isn't any shuffling in the game to cause wear and tear. Am I unusual in this regard?

While I don't sleeve them individually either, I do keep each character's cards and tokens stored in a single larger document sleeve. So, not for protection, but more for organization.

And for this I had to remove the white cardboard from the inside, as many did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in the camp that'll be very happy for a bigger box . The too-small box size, the time counter, and the plastic stands were my only two real complaints with vanilla BattleCON

it's definitely convenient for travel, though.

kurthl33t wrote:

As soon as my first black border got nicked (happened fast) I sleeved away. Pretty common in card games with black borders, even without shuffling. Also, people seem to like to "mix their cards around" in their hand before picking to stop opponents eyes from tracking their cards, and some Mayday Premiums make that much easier to do without ramming the cards into each other and damaging the borders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirHandsome wrote:

kurthl33t wrote:

As soon as my first black border got nicked (happened fast) I sleeved away. Pretty common in card games with black borders, even without shuffling. Also, people seem to like to "mix their cards around" in their hand before picking to stop opponents eyes from tracking their cards, and some Mayday Premiums make that much easier to do without ramming the cards into each other and damaging the borders.

Plus constantly placing them on the table and picking them up causes wear. I guess I'm just paranoid and feel safer with the extra protection for a game that I enjoying play a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight stands are the way to go for BattleCON. They work perfectly. A pack or two of them are not very expensive at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
Fantasy Flight stands are the way to go for BattleCON. They work perfectly. A pack or two of them are not very expensive at all.

This is actually what we asked the printer for, but they told us they didn't stock these

With Devastation, I'm considering 2-part punchboard stands, so that all the characters will be permanently on their own stands.

When I say Dominion-size, I'm thinking something more like Alchemy or Cornucopia--or a Thunderstone expansion.

And of course, it will hold your sleeved cards

We are going to have some promotional packs that will make the new characters look like the old ones, so don't worry about that. They'll be easy enough to obtain for those who want them.

I was surprised by how quickly the cards show wear (they're 300 gsm matte coated), but then you use the same bases over thousands of turns, so oil gets into them faster than most games. I am thinking of upgrading to the nigh-indestructible and water/oil-proof 35mm KEM cards (that is, plastic core) in the next edition. It depends on how well the kickstarter goes though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
And of course, it will hold your sleeved cards

We are going to have some promotional packs that will make the new characters look like the old ones, so don't worry about that. They'll be easy enough to obtain for those who want them.

Excellent! Now if can somehow get nice looking or PDF EX and Almighty versions of the characters (maybe via stretch goals or as a promo) then I can check that off my wish list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drift -
msg tools
Kyokai wrote:
I am thinking of upgrading to the nigh-indestructible and water/oil-proof 35mm KEM cards (that is, plastic core) in the next edition. It depends on how well the kickstarter goes though.

I would love it if you did this, I'm a huge fan of games which use proper quality playing cards. I don't mind so much for BattleCon though as there isn't any shuffling

And thanks for the stand tips guys, will put some coins in em to try an stretch them out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
I was surprised by how quickly the cards show wear (they're 300 gsm matte coated), but then you use the same bases over thousands of turns, so oil gets into them faster than most games. I am thinking of upgrading to the nigh-indestructible and water/oil-proof 35mm KEM cards (that is, plastic core) in the next edition. It depends on how well the kickstarter goes though.

I'm not familiar with those cards. Can you name some games that use 35mm KEM cards so I know what you're talking about?

Also, any chance of a stretch goal or cheap add-on for people to get optional War-sized boxes with Devastation covers?

I find the small box easy to tote around, and a full sized box would be a bit of a killer on that "grab and go" factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
palmerkun wrote:

I'm not familiar with those cards. Can you name some games that use 35mm KEM cards so I know what you're talking about?

Also, any chance of a stretch goal or cheap add-on for people to get optional War-sized boxes with Devastation covers?

I find the small box easy to tote around, and a full sized box would be a bit of a killer on that "grab and go" factor.

I don't know of any board games off the top of my head that use plastic cards (they're about double the cost of the regular cards). You'd probably have to look at poker decks to find that.

The Devastation/War cards should also all fit in the War Box (if you take out the insert) so you can go either way on that. The advantage of the Devastation Box will just be a tray that keeps them all separate and a larger board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
delios shadowsoul
msg tools
mbmb
without the insert, with all the characters sleeved in mayday premium sleeves, there is no real leftover room. i think with a regular mayday sleeve you MAY get another 6-8 characters in, but no WAY will another full set of 18 sleeved characters fit in the war box =\
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berjerber Sanchez
United States
California
flag msg tools
sorry to rez a thread, but i have found that putting the stands into eachother between use keeps them a little bit loose, but not too much so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also thread necroing, but I have seen a handful of games use these types of cards. The Puppet Wars Fate Deck for Malifaux was released using this material, and I believe that the Killer Bunnies cards are made of this material as well (though not entirely certain). It does feel kind of strange when you first start using it, but you get used to it rather quickly, and it certainly is a very durable material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.