United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Updated October 1, 2012
Relaunch KS Link: http://tinyurl.com/keepsystemKS

Our Mission
For you to take your games everywhere you’ve ever wanted, organized exactly the way you want them.

Product Description
The Keep System is method of storing and traveling with hobby games. Organizers are used to store and label game components and Mobilizers are used to transport the Organizers. Organizers are interchangeable with each other and standard across the mobilizers.

The Great Chamber is a waterproof, padded sleeve organizer with a series of mesh pockets. These pockets come in a variety of sizes and allow you to easily store rulebooks, large hexes, boards of many sizes and more. Old Monopoly™ bi-folds, Ticket to Ride™ and Arkham Horror™ hex-folds, Tannhaüser™ and Ogre™ oversized boards will all fit.

The Magic Chamber is a high quality plastic, long-box organizer tailored for cards and other similarly sized pieces.
* The ridge system in the Magic Chamber allows [/b]Dividers[/b] and Bit Pits to have custom positions giving gamers a large amount of flexibility in what they can store.
* Besides just creating compartments, Dividers take customizable labels allowing you to organize and segment your cards and pieces the way you like.
* While baggies fit in the Magic Chamber, we've developed a special organizer, the Bit Pit, for smaller pieces like dice, chits, coins, and other tokens. Bit Pits provide a better long term storage solution as they don't wear out, can be used as an in-game tray, and also take custom labels.

The Keep is a high quality messenger style carry case that is the mobilizer for this Kickstarter. It carries the two main types of game organizers - Great Chambers and Magic Chambers. A standard Keep can have a number of configurations:

* Five Magic Chambers and Two Great Chambers OR
* Six Magic Chambers and One Great Chamber OR
* Ten Magic Chambers OR
* Four Great Chambers

If you have any questions don't hesitate to drop me line. Thank You!

Links to Website
Relaunch Press Release: http://grumpyowlgamery.com/news/the-keep-relaunches/
Photo Gallery: https://www.facebook.com/GrumpyOwlGamery/photos_stream

Link to KickStarter
Relaunch: http://tinyurl.com/keepsystemKS
Original: http://tinyurl.com/keepstarterupdates

KickStarter Campaign Dates:
Relaunch: October 1, 2012 - October 31, 2012

Original: August 12, 2012 - September 30, 2012

Link to BGG Press Release: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9318437#9318437
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McCarthy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
This is pretty cool.

I went to board game night last night and one of the guys had a giant canvas grocery bag with about 8-9 games in it. It must have weighed a ton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OgreMkV wrote:
This is pretty cool.

I went to board game night last night and one of the guys had a giant canvas grocery bag with about 8-9 games in it. It must have weighed a ton.

Yeah... but $750k? Not going to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Groller
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's not how you start it's how you finish! It is a big goal, but I don't think impossible. If you do think its cool, help us out - spread the word and back us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the $750k is totally out of reach, but, wow... that thing seems expensive, and, to be honest, I'm not sure it offers a whole lot of convenience factor for the cost. I've basically got to pick the games I want to travel with, and leave them in there.

Also, as someone who has traveled extensively with Dominion, using the same case you picture next to The Keep, and has had it THOROUGHLY gone through by TSA, I think that taking The Keep through security would be Hell. So, really, it only works for taking my games around locally. I don't think that's worth $150. Compared to a $2 Ikea bag that carries a lot of boxes, that's SUPER expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Groller
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well - some of the price is convenience, but it also is protection for your games! I think that once you start traveling with your games, there are some factors you have less control over - moisture, rain, someone bumping into you. Most of the other options out there are not tailored for the job of taking your games to the outside world. Cardboard is just too easy to destroy and damage and even something small could make a game less playable, even unplayable. I haven't seen many original boxes that are efficient with space either. Carrying $1000 plus in games is rarely comforting - especially in a tote bag. I would get more value out of my games if it were easier to take them with me without damaging them.

Also, you don't have to leave them in there - but if we're talking games you play a lot, I think it makes sense to do that.

As for TSA - it is what it is
I think because the pieces are modular and removable in manageable chunks that it is less likely to be dropped or damaged, but it is sized to be carry on (at least some airlines). It's a good, high quality option to protect your games in the airport, at a convention, and other places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
G-Rolla wrote:

Also, you don't have to leave them in there - but if we're talking games you play a lot, I think it makes sense to do that.

Personally, I think it sounds like a pain.

I wish you the best of luck. I hope it takes off. I did want to express my opinion, though, that I think your price point is too high. To me, it's like the Sultan game table. Would I like one? Sure! Am I willing to shell out the cash? Definitely not, particularly because there are much less expensive options available.

In all honesty, I do hope I'm wrong, because I'd like to see you succeed. I don't think I will be, though. I think the way to get to your $750k is for people to be able to get rewards that they want. The reward they'll want is a Keep, but at $150, I don't think many people are going to jump on it.

EDIT: Sorry... $170, not $150. And that doesn't even get you one in the first run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cook
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I'm a backer. I think we all know it's a long shot of it getting funded, but I'm a part of the little niche of folks who are willing to pay a premium to organize board games the way I want. I've got a small army of plano boxes and toolboxes I use to keep everything tidy - the Keep is pretty much exactly what I /really/ want! I'm willing to pay for that. Hopefully a few hundred thousand of my closest friends are that OCD too .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Groller
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Todd - Thanks for sharing your thoughts! If I could do it for any less I surely would, but that will take a significant level of support. I realy don't think it will be as much of a pain as you think. When we get funded I hope you test one out!

Travis - thank your for your support! I guess I should have said the OCD Case for the OCD gamer laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
I wish you could have a BGG Contest for one - that seems to get the ol' interest up.

But considering this project isn't funded (and might not fund, sadly) you can't really promise one of these if they are never going to come to fruition.

I'm a backer and I've been excited about this project from day one.

However... $750k is a TREMENDOUS amount of money for an unestablished company and the fact that the lowest amount you can pay for tangible gain (i.e. a copy of The Keep - you know, that thing you're prmoting) is $170. This might be a little unreasonable.

I hope you get there - I'm going to talk about it and post about it all that I can but every time I tell them it's going to be over a Benjamin they just scoff...

I wish us nothing but good luck though... because at 3/4 of a million bucks to fund we're going to need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McCarthy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
My thoughts on the matter. Yeah, $170 is a bunch of money. How much do you have invested in your entire dominions set? How much in the Magic decks? How much in board games?

Now, how much would it suck to have to replace all of those games after something bad happens?

If the keep is weather-proof and hard-sided, then you not only have transportation, and storage, but also protection. Yes, it's expensive, but look at the details. You won't get those details in a tackle box or a gun case... not for something that is actually useful to transport games.

OK, I can go buy a bunch of tackle boxes for $150. I still don't have a place for boards. I can get a couple of big gun cases, but I still have to keep all the pieces in ziplocs.

I freely admit I'm a storage geek and this is pretty dang cool for that. I thinking, just based on what I've seen and read, that I could fit my old Magic decks, Catan, my dice, Car Wars, and a couple of other games in it. That's a Magic case and at least 4 game boxes I don't have to carry.

As far as the TSA... just put everything in the Keep and ship it UPS to your hotel or friends house. It's way easier and cheaper than dealing with the airports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Groller
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The price point will always be tough. Miniature gamers know they need something of similar quality to move their stuff around. Board games haven't really had a tailored option like this. While they don't want their game box to get damaged, they also think in terms of "I could get 'x' games for that". Miniature gamers think - "I could damage 'x' pieces if I'm not careful". Most good popular games are in the $45-60 range and this can hold many of them.

I see The Keep as a one time investment into your passion for gaming. How much would you play your games, if you had a case ready to go at all times with your favorite ones? Add an organization system that you can tailor to your preferences and now your saving time in clean-up and set-up too. I know it's not for everyone - but if you have a large game shelf, chances are you could use one of these to get your games mobile and played more.

We will get this product up one way or another! I want board and card gamers to have better than what they have now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
G-Rolla wrote:
The price point will always be tough. Miniature gamers know they need something of similar quality to move their stuff around. Board games haven't really had a tailored option like this. While they don't want their game box to get damaged, they also think in terms of "I could get 'x' games for that". Miniature gamers think - "I could damage 'x' pieces if I'm not careful". Most good popular games are in the $45-60 range and this can hold many of them.

I see The Keep as a one time investment into your passion for gaming. How much would you play your games, if you had a case ready to go at all times with your favorite ones? Add an organization system that you can tailor to your preferences and now your saving time in clean-up and set-up too. I know it's not for everyone - but if you have a large game shelf, chances are you could use one of these to get your games mobile and played more.

We will get this product up one way or another! I want board and card gamers to have better than what they have now.

Great idea, but at the end of the day, it holds games. For $170 you can replace up to 4 of those games at your price.

Make it $50-60 and you have a winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
G-Rolla wrote:

I may be mistaken, but I think the comparison to the miniature game hobby is pretty far off-base. The thing about board games is they already come in a box, and boxes are really easy to transport. This is different from miniature games like Warhammer, Space Hulk, etc. When you buy a miniature game, everything probably fits in the box just fine, but once you assemble everything and (typically) supplement with additional units and armies, you're going to have to look at alternate storage solutions--especially if you're a painter and don't want all the miniatures chewed to death in the box.

Miniature gamers just have a built-in storage problem. Board gamers don't, really.

G-Rolla wrote:
Carrying $1000 plus in games is rarely comforting - especially in a tote bag. I would get more value out of my games if it were easier to take them with me without damaging them.

Is carrying $1,000 worth of games around very common? I can't imagine it is.

I will admit that I have made some significant road trips once or twice and packed, maybe, up to 10-15 games. So I guess that it's a possibility that some people do that on a more regular basis. That's why I was eager to check out your Kickstarter page. This would be a nice solution for those rare times when I need to bring a slew of games on a long trip. Not because I buy into the proposition that my games are in mortal danger, but because space in the car is a problem. I wish that your price points were more reasonable. As is, this looks like a case of very limited functionality for a very high premium.

I suspect that the folks that would get the most use out of a product like this would be those with a limited collection of games who are willing to use it as an all-inclusive and permanent storage system. I also suspect, unfortunately, that those are the type of people least likely to invest in something so expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mueller
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"A Serious Case For The Serious Gamer"

Then you show a Monopoly board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Groller
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your input and checking us out as well!

Original boxes are fine for storage - but they aren't great for traveling. It's not a perfect comparison but I think it's close. Same with a CCG - you don't really get a storage option without getting something special. Most games are made of cardboard which is pretty flimsy next to a metal miniature. I would like consumers to have options beyond cardboard and cheap plastic. Even the chambers in this case can take a fall. At $50-$60 you can expect only slightly better than what currently exists - which isn't much and isn't high quality.

How much you travel with cost wise really depends on what you carry. I could easily see a collectible card game like Magic the Gathering™ getting way up there.

As far as the price point being reasonable - for the quality and functionality of what you get - it is. High Impact, waterproof cases like a Pelican™ case have high mold, material, and manufacturing costs. Price wise The Keep compares very favorably with high quality cases with complex inserts that do a lot of different things

The ability to travel with many games in an organized fashion, label to your preferences, to modularize more games into chambers so that you can change them out as needed, save space, and protect the contents from moisture, crush, and fall damage. You can store boards of many sizes, cards of all sizes, tiles, dice, chits, tokens, coins, and more. I'd like to understand functionally what this isn't doing that makes you say limited.

This a carry case at the end of the day - I'm not suggesting this as a permanent storage solution! You don't need to protect your games going from shelf to game table (well - maybe some people do ). But some folks take games camping, some on trains, some on planes, in cars, in the rain, to their local games store, conventions, and more. If you are traveling with one game - this solution could be overkill - but if that game has a lot of pieces and many expansions, this could make traveling with, setting it up, and cleaning it up so much easier. If you want to travel with a lot of games, in minimal space and ensure they are protected and organized - this is the only option specifically designed for the board and card gamers out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Groller
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Century wrote:
"A Serious Case For The Serious Gamer"

Then you show a Monopoly board.

If you read the GeekDad article about The Keep, you'll see that I am not a fan of Monopoly... at all

It's only there to show that standard bi-folds boards will fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure all my Memoir '44 stuff will fit in this... I have two of everything and a whole lot of extras.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mueller
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I just thought it was really ironic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Groller
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Century wrote:
Sorry, I just thought it was really ironic.

laugh

Fair enough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Groller
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
I'm not sure all my Memoir '44 stuff will fit in this... I have two of everything and a whole lot of extras.

Well - no case has limitless space. Two of everything is a lot - You must really be into Memoir!

We can fit one round of Memoir with space - I'll have to confirm if we can get two whole sets in there but I'll check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McCarthy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Dominion (as of Dark Ages) has almost 2600 cards. That's 8 boxes of cards (not sleeved). $30 for the base game and $20 for each expansion is roughly $170. Same price for storing the entire set, with sleeves.

I don't have a lot of games, but I've got a variety. Deck building, collectible card, wargames, board games... all of it. Sure, I can take a box of 10 Magic decks, and another 2-3 boxes of Ascension and expansions, and another 2-3 boxes for Catan, Panzer Leader, and the other board games, and a tackle box with car wars counters and bag with the CW books and maps.

Or I could put all of this into one box (with my dice) and play whatever I want to at game night.

As far as prices, My Magic decks are probably worth $200 (probably more, I haven't counted it up in 4-5 years). Ascension decks about $80. Catan about $30. Other board games between $100-$180. Car Wars and stuff (if you could buy any of it anymore) about $200. So, I'm almost to $900 right there.

Yes, it's pricey, but it's very well organized... which no other product is. It's also disaster proof... which no other product really is. Plus it takes up a lot less space on the shelf than 15+ boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately Plano boxes and large rubber bins from Walmart are cheaper and just as good. Nifty idea but the goal seems a bit nrealistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stingel
United States
Denver
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
100 bucks for a keychain and t-shirt?!? mmmKay! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Groller
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bearn wrote:
Unfortunately Plano boxes and large rubber bins from Walmart are cheaper and just as good. Nifty idea but the goal seems a bit nrealistic.

I would argue an option - but nowhere near as good and certainly not tailored to games!

Walmart bins aren't the easiest thing to carry around with one hand. It is certainly not crush or fall proof - you could drop the walmart box and still damage what's inside. Also - it not really all that efficient. You'll get way more games in less space with The Keep.

I like Plano cases too - I have a modified one I use as my Dominion case right now. But it's not big enough to hold all expansions or the tiles, it doesn't take labels - I had to custom make them out of poster board and with time and cost in for that I'm already more than halfway to a Keep and that's one game.

The fact is I haven't found one case versatile enough to meet my needs across many games and greatly simplify or eliminate DIY - we are able to do this because of customizable dividers in the Magic Chambers and having a separate Chamber for the boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.