Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just played my first game and it was a blast.
But this one really screams for asteroid miniatures instead of cardboard chits.

Would you guys have suggestions as to where I might find those?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe L.
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lava Rocks used for grilling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your local hardware store. Buy a big bag of lava rocks, cleave with a chisel until they fit into spaces, and bag them separately (the dust is pretty brutal)

I have tried spraying the rocks with a spray varnish, but I'm not certain that it helps. The rocks just soak up the varnish like a sponge, and it doesn't seem to help much.

I still need to start on an article series for game pimping. Alas, I gave up my preview copy to the other guy demoing BBS at Gencon (who was awesome, btw). So I don't have a copy myself for a couple of weeks.

(And I still owe Jrachfal a pimped copy as part of the Vasel charity drive.)

The one question I'm trying to work out is ship and asteroid stands. I've come to the following conclusions:
1. Clear plastic sucks for stands. They are brittle, and the gloss makes them way too visible.
2. Something in metal painted flat black is the way to go.
3. You don't want them to be very tall. 1/2-3/4 of an inch. Maybe an inch for cap ships to allow you to have fun with the cap ship damage markers. (The prototype pics use cotton with alligator clips glued in the middle).
4. Ideally, I want one piece, and am seriously considering roofing nails with very large heads. Possibly supplemented by washers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any date that we can pick this up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I'm going to with these when I get a copy,

http://www.boardsandbits.com/product_info.php?cPath=1051&pro...

Not exactly asteroids, but I think they'll look good on the table,

They also have other colors, as I'm just thinking the black will probably blend in too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The release window is a couple of weeks out. I believe that games were arriving at the warehouse this week. I've been checking Alliance to see when they show that in stock, which will strip that down to a few days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
The lava rocks look great. Yes, they cause a little dust, but they don't seem to wear out. I recommend a freezer thick zip lock bag to store them since they are somewhat sharp. Best of all, they are easy to replace. (Goodness. I think I still have a bag of several hundred lava rocks in my garage left over from pimping this years ago. I would give away packages of them, but shipping makes it silly to do so.)

I love the alligator clip in orange painted cotton ball damage markers. They don't make much sense (no air in space), but they just look cool. They are also cheap to make.

These definitely add to your set!

Painted Nails with washers should work as stands, though I wonder if there is room in the model to attach them. I have not seen the final models as all I have is the prototype.

I am looking forward to getting this one once it becomes available in my area to buy! If nothing else, I need the box because my prototype is just in a generic box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fbranham wrote:
The release window is a couple of weeks out.

Really? My contact at Z-Man told me they received the shipment last Friday, and I ordered a case. Got it on Tuesday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Would you guys have suggestions as to where I might find those?

I bought these and was very happy with them: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect asteroids!

As for the stands, my plan is to buy a long, wooden rod at my local hardware store, and chop it into half-inch (or maybe three-quarter) thick discs (similar to scoring discs in most Eurogames) that I'll spray paint matte black, and then stick under each ship.
I'll have to use a larger diameter for the capital ship, but I think it'll work very well. I'll come back and post pictures once I'm done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
fbranham wrote:
The release window is a couple of weeks out.

Really? My contact at Z-Man told me they received the shipment last Friday, and I ordered a case. Got it on Tuesday!

Yay! That may be what Zev told me. I think that the this week was when they hit the US warehouse, followed by whenever they start to hit Alliance, and then trickle their way into stores.

That's a couple of weeks on the outside. Probably start trickling into stores late next week for the US, and tomorrow and early next week for Canada.

...ish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Perfect asteroids!

As for the stands, my plan is to buy a long, wooden rod at my local hardware store, and chop it into half-inch (or maybe three-quarter) thick discs (similar to scoring discs in most Eurogames) that I'll spray paint matte black, and then stick under each ship.
I'll have to use a larger diameter for the capital ship, but I think it'll work very well. I'll come back and post pictures once I'm done!

Hmm. Those might make nice "stands". Just use two for the cap ships, that helps reinforce the idea that they occupy two spaces.

As to attaching, I picked up some roofing nails and fender washers today. I use a Dremel drill press for pinning spaceships for stands. I know I'll need the fender washers for the larger ships, and can use some metal epoxy putty to add the fender washers to the nails. Great stuff, epoxy putty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.firemountaingems.com/Search?Keywords=lava&ItemsPe...

There's a variety of lava beads here, if you scroll down you'll see a few that are more natural/rugged looking than the round etc. ones (which still have all the pores and otherwise lava-ness to them). These should not be dusty at all; I have a strand of I think 10mm round ones.

hit to view 50 or 100 per page to see most or all of them, there's a few more natural-ish shape ones further down.

There's a variety of sizes; also, if these don't work, there's a variety of sphere or pebble/nugget beads of other types that might work (obviously in the cheap gemstones which are often 2-4 a strand of a bunch of em).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure of the scale, but larger aquarium or atrium rocks from the local pet shop might work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walsh
United States
Batavia
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if you could spray the lava rocks with matte clear varnish or something to seal the dust in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwalsh1 wrote:
I wonder if you could spray the lava rocks with matte clear varnish or something to seal the dust in.

I don't think it works very well. At a guess:

The lava rock absorbs the varnish, which should in theory help strengthen the outer layer of the lava rock. Problem is, the outer surface of lava rock is so innately fragile that it just crumbles anyway. It definitely never is able to form a hard shell around the rock--the stuff is so porous that the varnish is gone in seconds.

It might be possible to attack it with something brushed on or dipped. Enough to completely saturate the stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fbranham wrote:
jwalsh1 wrote:

I don't think it works very well. At a guess:

The lava rock absorbs the varnish, which should in theory help strengthen the outer layer of the lava rock. Problem is, the outer surface of lava rock is so innately fragile that it just crumbles anyway. It definitely never is able to form a hard shell around the rock--the stuff is so porous that the varnish is gone in seconds.

It might be possible to attack it with something brushed on or dipped. Enough to completely saturate the stuff.

Why not just dip it in varnish?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Perfect asteroids!

I took the clear plastic stands from a .99 thrifted copy of Star Wars: Jedi Unleashed and used plastic model glue to adhere each sculpt to it. This worked great and it was super cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.