Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there are solid wargame designs built around cooperative play?

Imagine something like Pandemic, but about moving military units around, dealing with logistics, fog of war, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambush! is a solitaire system that can be played coop. Each player controls a half-squad through each missions. Great experience I've heard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
gab4tac wrote:
Ambush! is a solitaire system that can be played coop. Each player controls a half-squad through each missions. Great experience I've heard.

Beat me to it. I had great fun in the 80s playing this coop with two friends. We each controlled 3-4 men. I particularly remember when they blew up a bridge in the D-day night drop scenario, despite the fact that I was lying in the middle of it at the time, badly wounded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played D-Day at Omaha Beach cooperatively and it was a blast.

Also most OCS games are played cooperatively in teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anything at a larger scale?

Imagine you have six people, each controlling several hundred rank and file troops, fighting it out on an tactical or operational level rather than skirmish level.

I'm a bit stumped. Having that many people playing a traditional wargame becomes interminably long. Having teams makes it twice as long with all the decision making.

The trick is to someone get turns to be kind of rapid fire, so that a round of play is only a few minutes long at most, giving incremental effects most of the time, but leaving some opportunity for decisive moments to get fleshed out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D-Day Omaha Beach from Decision has a co-op mechanic where each guy takes half the units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
The upcoming Six Day War: 1967 has both players commanding Israeli and Arab forces. One player commands the Sinai front for the IDF and the Syrians, while the other player controls the Egyptians and the Israeli northern front. Both players are going to win as the Israelis, it's just a matter of which one will perform better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:

Imagine you have six people, each controlling several hundred rank and file troops, fighting it out on an tactical or operational level rather than skirmish level.

I'm a bit stumped. Having that many people playing a traditional wargame becomes interminably long. Having teams makes it twice as long with all the decision making.

The trick is to someone get turns to be kind of rapid fire, so that a round of play is only a few minutes long at most, giving incremental effects most of the time, but leaving some opportunity for decisive moments to get fleshed out.

Most contemporary wargames that will be indicated for multiple players on each side will be games with a lot of subordinate units, thus distributing the command and control responsibility. Unfortunately, this doesn't usually mean that it's the kind of game where you can get everything done in a few minutes, for a turn.

This is not to say that there aren't wargames with simple enough rules and few enough units to have turns that only take a few minutes, but you probably won't find playing such games with multiple commanders very interesting. You might end up only pushing around 1 or 2 units, yourself, if you try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit of a stretch - but for a simple unit tactical game, Gears of War: The Board Game kinda fits the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
God's Playground kinda fits the bill. It's competitive cooperation and possibly leans slightly euro for many wargamers tastes but it's good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
Are there are solid wargame designs built around cooperative play?

Boots on the Ground can be played co-op. A deck of cards controls the deployment and activation of insurgents, and players each control a squad of Allied force soldiers.

It may be a little to light for most wargamers, but D-Day Dice is a co-op as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is light in the rules and certainly heavy on theme but believe it or not Succession Wars works cooperatively by having round-table turns for each House. Everybody makes decisions on what to do, resolves the turn, and then on to the next House you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lamb
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runage, though set in a fantasy world, features cooperative war fighting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Doctor X wrote:
It is light in the rules and certainly heavy on theme but believe it or not Succession Wars works cooperatively by having round-table turns for each House. Everybody makes decisions on what to do, resolves the turn, and then on to the next House you go.

huh... no.

Move troops in sector areas. Try to control the capitals of the other players. Get cash, use cash to buy more units.

That's pretty much it. Closer to Risk than any coop i know off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
echoota wrote:

I've rather found the opposite in my only real foray that
attempted both two and multi player per side, Terrible Swift Sword.

By segmenting the front under different players, tasks could
be handled in parallel instead of sequence. Adding people didn't
reduce time proportionally (no surprise), but it definitely sped
things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember reports long ago of large scale multiplayer games of B-17: Queen of the Skies being played at conventions. Technically speaking, I guess you might call that multiplayer solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a large scale game but London's Burning can be played cooperatively. I actually just played some solitaire phases today and would like to see how the co-op and VS game plays (Im not a huge solitaire gamer, much prefer playing with other folks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:

Napoleon's Triumph supports team play with up to 4 players per side, and plays in a manageable length of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 1812: The Invasion of Canada, you can have up to three players as the canadian/british/indians fighting two american players (regulars and militia).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mutant Entertainment Studios
United States
California
flag msg tools
Campaign of 1863 Online Team vs Team Game is currently in Open Beta testing and is F2P (free to play)*

*blatent plug disclaimer: Im one of the designers

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All Things Zombie: The Boardgame

You can find more via Search for category "Wargame" and mechanic "Co-operative Play".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ThomasAH wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you are playing a solitaire game then there will always be an element of 2 sides and so therefore not completely a co-op game.

Friedrich has an unbalanced player ratio. 1 Versus 3 or 4 if my memory serves me correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

But I 3mm-rounded the counters, cards and the play aid!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ThomasAH wrote:
calandale wrote:

But I 3mm-rounded the counters, cards and the play aid! :)

I clip my euros. What of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.