Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, had a situation where there were two creatures in the blast radius of a fireball spell, one in open ground and the other in cover. Can the creature in cover tap to avoid the damage from the fireball, or does this not technically count as avoiding a ranged attack because it is not the specific target of the spell?

Also, unless SPECIFICALLY stated otherwise, all "within X squares" abilities require line of sight, right? including shield, and beneficial ones?

I'm guessing it can't tap to take cover, but that's thematically a bit disappointing.

Thanks for input in advance.

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Cover only applies to incoming ranged attacks; Fireball is not a ranged attack.

The creature casting the Fireball must have "line of sight" to the "square" he is choosing, as per the rules at the bottom of page 13 (left side).

I must admit that it never occured to me that for the Order card Shield, you would need to be in "line of sight", but I guess as per the rules, you must.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Haver
United States
Upper Arlington
Ohio
flag msg tools
www.theCOGS.org
badge
www.theCOGS.org
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked Chris Dupuis this question:

Fireball
If I drop a Fireball on an unoccupied square adjacent to an Obstacle (Square) tile, does the fireball affect those tiles as well or does it still provide cover? So long as the target square has LOS, does the damage affect all squares within 2 tiles, even those around corners or behind walls?

A: Cover - and the ability to tap to dodge - is focused on ranged attacks. Fireball is an instant damage ability as opposed to a ranged attack. If you can trace line of sight(remember whenever we use within we're talking about LOS from one space to another) from the target square of fireball to a creature's square (even if they have cover) they take the damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.