Subject: Thematic explanations? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Sorenson
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
When teaching Aeroplanes to people who are big on theme, how do you explain certain aspects of the game in a thematic context? Specifically:

You buy an aircraft and it comes with a quantity of airports. Aside from "this is how it is, shut up," I'm having a hard time coming up with a thematic explanation for this mechanism.

An aircraft can deliver a fixed number of passengers. (this, I think, is best explained as: remember that the game phases are eras, not years, and an aircraft's capacity is an abstract number reflecting its durability over those eras)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg Sorenson wrote:
When teaching Aeroplanes to people who are big on theme, how do you explain certain aspects of the game in a thematic context? Specifically:

You buy an aircraft and it comes with a quantity of airports. Aside from "this is how it is, shut up," I'm having a hard time coming up with a thematic explanation for this mechanism.

An aircraft can deliver a fixed number of passengers. (this, I think, is best explained as: remember that the game phases are eras, not years, and an aircraft's capacity is an abstract number reflecting its durability over those eras)

I actually find just about everything thematic in the game. But, others in my group looked at me cross-eyed until I explained it to them. (I think some of them looked at me cross-eyed still).

Passenger capacity: The passenger tokens aren't actual "people". They are flights. Just like airlines today have direct flights from Spokane to Los Angeles and then all of a sudden cancel those flights (like jackwagons!) after a few years.

Airport quantity: Basically, you need a kind of airplane that is capable and allowed to travel to different airports before you can actually get there.

I have more. But you asked about those specifically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a simulation, it's a game. That's the difference.

But even the most hard-core simulations have some "gamey" elements; otherwise, they would be virtually unplayable.

Martin just really, really leaned in favor of the "game" side, on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And to expand on the (correct) direction above, aeroplane cards represent a technological advancement and a capacity increase for your airline, not necessarily the physical plane itself. Consider it as upgrading to a more modern fleet, which can be used as a selling point to transfer landing rights at a city to another airline (displacing airport tiles), and allowing your airline to add more and further-afield destinations. This is also helpful when explaining why you have passengers going to two different cities on the same plane...

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg Sorenson wrote:
You buy an aircraft and it comes with a quantity of airports.

Don't think of it as buying aircraft that come with airports. Think of it as building airports and stocking them with planes. The numerical order of the planes represents the passage of history. When you build an airport very early in the "flow of history", then the only planes available to you are the crappy biplanes, unless you pay the big bucks to rush production on better planes.

Greg Sorenson wrote:
An aircraft can deliver a fixed number of passengers.

"Passengers" are an enduring demand, like the cubes in Age of Steam that never stop paying you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I posted this elsewhere, I think of the airport tokens as having technological and reputational aspects to them. A cool new plane design/tech development may produce interest and desire from the travel community. Those advancements might spur new terminals and facilities. On the other hand, a cumulation of engine failures and a failed roll represent the loss of prestige and momentum to an airline. Don't fly here, your airline brings trouble!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.