Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julio César
Argentina
Rosario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi everyone! i'm finishing the design of a fantasy card game called WAR OF THE ELEMENTALS.

Is a card game for 2+ players -best with 4- with a single deck of 54 cards.

Each player is a General, gathering an army in order to battle against the generals of other kingdoms. BUT, since there are rumors that the other kingdoms manage to control an ELEMENTAL (earth, fire, air or water) you must try to invoke other elementals or regain control of those already in other armys.

The armys are formed with the cards held in hand -or in play- by the general. There are Elementals (4 in total), faeries, mages and soldiers represented by cards -in order to build an army- and other cards to cast arcane spells -in order to invoke the elementals or regain control of them-.

The game focuses on hand management to form melds -battle formations- and gain battle points; at the end of X number of rounds OR when some player reaches X points, the game ends.

I'm designing the cards and will post them here, explaining the mechanics a little more. See ya!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb

I am interesting I must say, even the informations about the game are few.
How the battle work exacly in the game?
How many cards you can have in total in your hands?

Zaxarias Faraggitakis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hodge

West Virginia
msg tools
Looking forward to seeing more about this. I like the idea of everything being played out with a single deck of 54 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio César
Argentina
Rosario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the interest. The "battles" are not exactly that. Once the four mages are in play and someone cast at least one minor Arcane -i'll explain them later- every player must show his hands and score points acording to the battle formations -card games-.
IE: the best formation is to have the four elementals + four amulets -special cards that make the elementals unable to be controled by other player-.
Seven cards -maximum- are held in hand, then you draw a card and can play one or more cards. In the end of your turn you must discard any card above seven.
See ya!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb

Thank you for your reply my friend.
I have some other questions to ask as well:

-How often can you change the formation of your hand after you already showed your first formation already in the game?
-What kind of game mechanic you have in the game to prevent the big luck of a player to win the game? What kind of strategy must the players follow to win a battle without the need of luck [or not a lot of luck]?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio César
Argentina
Rosario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
THE ELEMENTALS
The elementals are powerful creatures. They ALWAYS worth positive points, both in hand -once the round finish- and in table -in front of the general-.
In battle formations they worth even more points -i'll explain the formation values later-.
Once in table they can be activated -discarding a card with the matching element- to attack the other generals OR gain some benefit for the controling player. IE: a fire elemental in table under your control can attack other generals if you discard a card with the fire symbol on it.
Each elemental has a different effect once they attack.
The fire elemental: the attacked general must discard two cards at random from his hand –due to the unstable and unpredictable behavior of the fire-.
The water elemental: the attacking general draws a card from the draw deck and the top card of the discard pile -the water brings life again-.
The air elemental: the attacked general must shuffle his hand in the draw deck and draw the same number of cards -after the tornado there's disorder-.
The earth elemental: the attacking general gains one point for every player in game -including himself-.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio César
Argentina
Rosario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
-How often can you change the formation of your hand after you already showed your first formation already in the game?

The formation is a hand of cards with different values, like poker. But you can lay down some cards and form your hand with the cards already in play. IE: the most valuable hand is formed with the 4 elementals + four amulets that make the elementals unable to be controled by other generals. You can keep in hand the elementals until you draw the matching amulet and then lay down both cards OR you can take the risk and play the elemental in front of you in order to activate it.

-What kind of game mechanic you have in the game to prevent the big luck ofyuo can lay down the a player to win the game?

As any card game there's luck involved, but you must “read” other players moves; are they taking to much risks? Are they collecting cards of any particular element? Is time to lay down the final mage in order to end the round? What player is ahead in the scoring board?
Work with what you have, try to get strong in one or two elements, take risks if someone is getting too ahead in the scoring board. Be flexible!

See ya!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.