Subject: What are your thoughts on... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Channing Guenther
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
No matter the scenario, how do you feel about having a player drop out of a game mid-game? How would you resolve it? Obviously this question is pointless if this happens in team games or two player games.

I recently played two games where a player dropped out.

Both games were 3 player PVP games (Full conquest).

In the first game, one of the players had to rush off to deal with some minor emergency. My remaining opponent and I carried on and just removed all of the third player's presence from the board. It sort of worked, but I was worried about how unbalanced fame-wise it might be to have a 3rd city to conquer. In the end, our venue shut down early and we actually only managed to get to the end of round 4 before we had to pack up the game, so it didn't really matter.

In the second game, one of the players was having a really crappy game and decided it was really late and he wanted to go home rather than carry on with the torture. He left midway through round 5. My remaining opponent and I managed to finish the game. Again I was worried that the extra city would unbalance things and tip the balance over to whoever took the city. Interestingly enough, I won despite only conquering 1 city (and not assisting on any others), though it ended up being very close. I won by 6 fame. I had 10 wounds in my deck while my remaining opponent only had 1. I think that what really sealed the win for me was getting 4 of the 5 beneficial titles at the end of the game. I didn't get "Greatest Knowledge" due to my opponent having something sick like 5 spells and 14 advanced actions.

So now, I'm not so sure it's a horrible thing to lose a player mid-game and just remove their presence from the game. I'd still rather not have it happen of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would treat it like Titan, if someone wants to leave the game they just remove their hero from the map on their turn and the others then play on normally. You could debate whether to reduce the size of the source and unit offer, etc., in subsequent rounds; I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. Sure, the game will play out differently than if you had started with fewer players, but so what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just reduce the units/source available during the next round (day/night) and move forward from there. There really isn't a way to balance it other than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 2-player game with an experienced player who quit after my 2nd turn. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Channing Guenther
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
polychrotid wrote:
I played a 2-player game with an experienced player who quit after my 2nd turn. sauron

Lol.. D'oh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stivers
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First I would hate for anyone to leave a game for any reason, but it does happen once in awhile. My group lets them go and we reduce the game peramiters so everyone has equal opportunity to make a decision based on that player leaving.

Also, when playing a game like Mage Knight the owner of the game should set the expectations of length and all the players should except it before starting. I once got into a game of Wealth of Nations that went over 4 hours and hated every minute of it becuase I had no idea it was going to take that long.

Another time I played Twilight Emperium and knew that the game was long and we played on a custom board that simulated a universe that was round. I was having a great time and was suffering from one of my worse allegy attacks ever. I left after 6hrs near the end of the game becuase I could not take it any longer. I felt so bad that I left the game before it ended. This was at a Gen Con about 4 - 5 years ago.

So I have been on both sides of the coin and its just what you make of it when it happens. But if it happens to often with the same player, I would just tell them how it affects the rest of the group. Then if it continues they lose an invite.

Keep Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.