Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's get this straight right from the beginning: I am not saying I would rather be chased by a pack of rabid Pit Bulls than ever play FlowerFall again, but it would be close.

FlowerFall purports to be a fun, quick dexterity game. Each player has a small deck of cards and attempts to drop his cards onto the table to create the most or largest fields or paths controlled by his flowers. Flowers in the controlled areas represent points.

Well, I'm pretty willing to give just about any game a try, so why not? Our group of six took our turns dropping our cards. I suspect that some cards are better suited for breaking up paths or fields, while others are appear intended for trying to grow or control fields. Truth is, with our degree of "skill", a dropped card was essentially a random event, so this "strategy" aspect just didn't pan out. Some cards even ended up on the floor. I suppose this could be funny, but even in our fun loving group, no one thought so. The layout of the cards quickly became a jumbled mess. No one seemed to have the slightest control, without (illegally?) dropping cards from ever lower heights.

How much of a flower counts? How tiny of a path is still valid? The most telling aspect was that none of use even cared to get an answer. The "game" was over in a few minutes, but even the owner didn't want to try to score the results; it just looked like too much of a mess.

In my mind, a dexterity game should reward improving skill. Here the results just seemed too random. No one even appeared to want to try to get better.

Some telling quotes:

"We will never speak of this again." By the owner.

"Maybe this would be fun if we were drinking." Personally, I didn't even want to try to sort out the scores while sober, much less under the influence of alcohol.

Perhaps your group might find some fun or challenge in FlowerFall, but I can't recommend it to anyone and I don't ever want to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is skill involved. It's actually all in how you hold your card. I generally hold the long edges between my thumb and first finger. That seems to be the most accurate way to drop. if you pinch a corner, or hold the two short edges, you warp the card or get a bad release which angles the card and sends it flying where you don't want.

It is a dexterity game, but the technique isn't always apparent unless you play with someone who has played before.

I didn't have a chance to grab my production copy from GC, so if the owner wants to trade, I'll be glad to talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From how high we're you dropping the cards? I played my first games yesterday and when we missed our intended targets, it was by fractions of inches. Every now nd then we had a rogue card that might drop inches away from the intended target, and that was hilarious.

I can't imagining the cards dropping on the floor. The rules say to drop the cards from eye level. Were you doing this?

FWIW, I think it's a very endearing game and the two of us playing were laughing and having a joyful time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twinge
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing you might try is flicking. This needs a fairly small table (for bigger tables dropping is definitely better imo), but basically you just flick the cards onto the table from anywhere outside of the table. This can potentially feel like more control and a more interesting game for some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
From how high we're you dropping the cards? I played my first games yesterday and when we missed our intended targets, it was by fractions of inches. Every now nd then we had a rogue card that might drop inches away from the intended target, and that was hilarious.

I can't imagining the cards dropping on the floor. The rules say to drop the cards from eye level. Were you doing this?

FWIW, I think it's a very endearing game and the two of us playing were laughing and having a joyful time.

True, your eye level sitting and eye level standing are a vastly different level. I would say a good base distance would be about a foot and a half off the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:

Right, Eye level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
thedacker wrote:

Right, Eye level.

One does not simply *drop flowers* into Mordor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danwojciechowski wrote:
Let's get this straight right from the beginning: I am not saying I would rather be chased by a pack of rabid Pit Bulls than ever play FlowerFall again, but it would be close.

Perhaps your group might find some fun or challenge in FlowerFall.

Perhaps we would. Send me your hated copy and I promise to let you know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.