Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm torn. I've been eyeing both of these thinking they might make good additions to our pile of family games. (I'm not necessarily looking for a game that the whole family can play at once. I realize that Dominant Species TCG plays 2-6 and Agricola ACBAS is strictly two.) I do know that in both cases, their namesakes are unlikely to get played as a family activity.

So, I am trying to decide if the flexibility of DSTCG in terms of # of players and its more appealing theme (for my boys, anyway) should outweigh the impression that I get that Agricola ACBAS is the better game (and might make a good wife lure).

I know its a bit of an apples vs oranges comparison, but just wondering if anyone has thoughts on the matter anyway. I've read the reviews. If I could I'd buy both, but it has to be one or the other for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard numerous "meh" type reviews about Dominant Species TCG. I would get Agricola ACBAS and look at something else for 2-6. I see no reason to buy a subpar game just because the player count fits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DEFINITELY get Agricola:ACB&S. Much better game of the two. We covered both of them in Episode 17 of the This Board Game Life podcast if you're interested in hearing about them.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepodcastepisode/83010/this-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
BEAVERTON
Oregon
flag msg tools
If you're simply looking for a 2-6 player game, I'd say there's easily a few hundred other games you might consider before DS:TCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Valnor
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I do go against the grain, but I think DS: the card game is a decent family game.
There is enough random luck so everyone should get a chance at winning.
The concept is dead dumb simple, so very quick to pickup/teach/explain/no niche rules or exceptions.
Finally there is some interaction to get back at someone, but it is never mean in spirit.

A few negatives, time, the 15 min per person is accurate so at an hr for 4 or 1.5hr!? for 6 is quite a time commitment for this sort of game; but if you only play 1-2 games a night as a family, the time is less of an issue.
Doing basic arithmetic over and over and over(we've gone to dice) slows and just gets in the way.
The luck sometimes(usually) just does not go your way, brings frustration.
Passing at turn 1 of a round means you become bored for a good 2-4 mins, turn it into a positive by getting a snack, bathroom, something to drink.

It is certainly not a knock-your-socks-off game, but as a light game I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
leiavoia wrote:
If you're simply looking for a 2-6 player game, I'd say there's easily a few hundred other games you might consider before DS:TCG.
Indeed, try The Resistance or something like that. DS:TCG is awfully boring game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
NBAfan wrote:
leiavoia wrote:
Indeed, try The Resistance or something like that. DS:TCG is awfully boring game.

I'm not looking to fill any particular player count. As I said--I've got a pile of games that fit up and down the scale. These two had simply caught my eye, but I'm only going to get one at the moment.

I like the theme of of DS:TCG, but I think Agricola ACB&S sounds like a better game. Probably go that way.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
rmilanov wrote:
DEFINITELY get Agricola:ACB&S. Much better game of the two. We covered both of them in Episode 17 of the This Board Game Life podcast if you're interested in hearing about them.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepodcastepisode/83010/this-...

Thanks for pointing this out--it was very helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.