Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The title says it all - I remember having a couple boosters of Netrunner during my brief MtG phase (6th grade, Mirage block, and I cared more about collecting than playing), but never played the game and felt like it was just another MtG clone at the time.

Nowadays, I'm pretty solidly a eurogamer, and tend to shy away from anything that FFG puts out for that very reason. That said, I'm more of a card-game eurogamer (7 Wonders, Glory to Rome, RftG, and Dominion all sit near the top of my personal list), so I'm wondering if I'd be interested in this.

Could/should this appeal to me, or is there a lot of luck involved that can't be mitigated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunner plays like a resource management Euro game in many ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
Not very luck based at all. This game is more about the interaction between players than between players and their cards. You would probably enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - The guy in my gaming group that introduced me to classic netrunner is primarily a euro gamer. In general, he shys away from most things with dice.

2 - My top 10 on BGG isn't currently dead on, but my top 5 games are. They are Dominion, Time's Up, Through the Ages, Agricola, & Le Havre... and I adore Netrunner. That should give you an idea. (I also really love Glory to Rome and I continue to cross my fingers that the black box will eventually be purchasable since I missed the kickstarter.)

3-
byronczimmer wrote:
Netrunner plays like a resource management Euro game in many ways.

Agreed. Of the Trading Card Games I have played (LCG or CCG), Netrunner feels the most complex and euro. There is luck involved in deck draw, but the game is less dependent on what order the cards come out than Magic (as an example.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:
Could/should this appeal to me, or is there a lot of luck involved that can't be mitigated?

I don't think luck will be an issue, at least compared to the games you've mentioned.

A bigger consideration from the POV of a fan of the games you mention is how you feel about building decks. The starter set gives you a very simple pick-up-and-play system (take a faction, add all the neutrals, play). But after this, as expansions come out, you won't be able to do this.

When you sit down to play 7 Wonders, you have to consider which expansions to include, and there's some fuss around pulling out the appropriate cards (guilds, player count). New cards added to A:NR will take a LOT more effort. You can't just grab a pile, shuffle and go. You have to factor in faction points, agenda limits, let alone card types and synergies.

I suggest thinking about whether you're going to want to expand this, and whether you and your friends are going to want to take time to build decks. I'm sure someone will come up with a "sealed deck generator" for A:NR, where you'll take a list of a valid, randomly-selected deck, pull those cards out, and then play. But even with something like that, it's a lot of work compared to other card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this game you'll find:
– resource management: choice of your actions, money management, best moment for playing your cards.
– a lot of interaction: you must react to the opponent's activity turn after turn.
– deception and bluff.
– luck also, but nothing that can't be mitigated with a solid play.
– and, of course, deck-building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:
The title says it all - I remember having a couple boosters of Netrunner during my brief MtG phase (6th grade, Mirage block, and I cared more about collecting than playing), but never played the game and felt like it was just another MtG clone at the time.

Nowadays, I'm pretty solidly a eurogamer, and tend to shy away from anything that FFG puts out for that very reason. That said, I'm more of a card-game eurogamer (7 Wonders, Glory to Rome, RftG, and Dominion all sit near the top of my personal list), so I'm wondering if I'd be interested in this.

I agree with what's been said; Netrunner is the closest thing to a eurogame I've played (amongst LCG/CCGs).

That having been said, it's still possible to get burned by your draw. The difference between this and every other CCG/LCG I've played is that you have the power to mitigate that.

In every other CCG/LCG I've played, draw is fixed (Magic is one card per turn, AGOT is 2 cards per turn) and the only thing that modifies this is card effects. So you don't pull the cards you need, you may be screwed (especially since you need cards to draw more cards).

In Netrunner, you have a set number of actions per turn (4 for runner, 3 for corp) and you can choose how to spend them, including drawing 1 card per action.

Much like in Race for the Galaxy, if you commit to a military strategy, you can get screwed by the draw by drawing no military worlds. But the game structure itself offers you a way to combat that (choosing the deep draw phase).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldil wrote:
In every other CCG/LCG I've played, draw is fixed (Magic is one card per turn, AGOT is 2 cards per turn) and the only thing that modifies this is card effects.

Another area where Jyhad/VTES shines fully. In this CCG, you always have 7 cards in the hand. If you play one, you immediately replace it from draw (if the card did not say otherwise or you are out of the deck...).

I am looking forward for A:NR but the card drawing will probably feel like step back to M:TG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vodnyk wrote:
I am looking forward for A:NR but the card drawing will probably feel like step back to M:TG.

In Netrunner, you may draw first (more than once if you want) then play your cards. You may consider this as an improvement over VTES.

You may start your turn with 5 cards, play Diesel (+3 cards), Diesel (+3 cards), Diesel (+3 cards). You now hold 11 cards, you play one, then you discard down to 5 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vodnyk wrote:

Not really. In MtG, it's one card draw a turn and an effect is needed to gain more cards.

In A:NR, the corporation is required a card draw, but this is to give the game momentum. Either side can draw a card as one of their actions.

Cards are one of the resources to manage in this game. Especially with cards in hand representing the health of the runner. (Actually similar to RFtG in this manner.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
im a former magic player that now plays primarily euro strategy games in my weekly game meetup. i heavily favor card games in general though, and love all the games you mentioned. Race for the galaxy, ascension, and 7 wonders (drafting!) are all fun strategy card games to me.

and I LOVE netrunner. its awesome as a 2 player game for any group willing to put some time into learning it. lots of headgames and playing of the opponent, and plenty of economy and engine building to think about. i say give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Meunier
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
The only thing that's equal to Legend of the Five Rings in card games was Netrunner, and new Netrunner will probably not cost literally $200+ dollars to play competitively, unlike L5R, so I say go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyjam wrote:
Vodnyk wrote:

In Netrunner, you may draw first (more than once if you want) then play your cards. You may consider this as an improvement over VTES.

In VTES you also have cards with which you can draw, either to discard immediately, or to have your handsize enlarged temporarily...
But I see that it is a different approach to card management. This really shows R.G. in good light, with three of his games having three different approaches:

Cards:
MTG: No effort, slow draw. Deck has to be build around "I have one card per turn"
VTES: No special effort to have full hand. Deck has to be build around "I need optimal mix of different cards (action/reaction/combat/master) not to be stuck in one phase"
Netrunner: Spend 25% of turn to draw a card. Deck has to be build around "Is this card worth more than an action with another card on table?"

Other resources:
MTG(mana):need land cards on table, reusable, not able to accumulate.
VTES: starts with 30 blood, the more cards you bring to play (and basicaly pay with own life) the more are you closer to death. Big effort needed to replenish (cards+actions).
Netrunner: 25% of your turn to get bit, able to accumulate. If you waste too much you need a lot of time to "regenerate".

Play field:
MTG: symmetrical, two players.
VTES: "symmetrical", multiple players, everybody attacks to the left (and defends against right)
Netrunner: asymmetrical, two players.

Thank you R.G. for such great contribution for gaming world!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.