Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobi Wagner
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hei.

We had our very first game of SoR yesterday and enjoyed it very much.
Nevertheless, several times, we struggled with the rule of coordinated attacks via campaign play:

If I activate my army and one of an ally for a coordinated attack: does it matter which one has to be the primary force or not?

I can't find it clear defined in the rulebook, only several hints in the examples that suggest that my army has to be the primary one and that of my ally has to be the flanking force. Is this right or could I also lead the attack with the allied troops and flank with my own?

Another question is regarding the avoid battle attempt: 11.1 states: " If the roll is less than or equal to the leader's Tactics Rating, place the army in an adjacent space."

But the very next sentence is: "An army may avoid battle through a space containing an allied army."

And the Restrictions of 11.2 forbid:
"To enter more than 4 spaces."

What is right: can I avoid only into an adjacent space to the space I was when attacked or can I avoid further, up to 4 spaces?
My second quote with avoiding through an ally could refer to the Appian way, but the third quote is in direct conflict with the first, I think...

Thanks for helping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
Campaign: the cards (not the rules) specify that the allied force, if any, is the second (flanking) force.

You must evade to an adjacent space if possible, but may evade through an allied army if no other route is open. The four space limit of 11.2 applies to repeated evasions in the impulse or very constricted positions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobi Wagner
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks, that makes sense!

edit: although, as I just mentioned, it makes perfectly sense, I checked all campaign cards of all 5 decks of my game and none of these mentiones anything about that issue. The only sentence referencing this is: "Coordinated Attack allowed (9.5.6)."

And while Section 9.5.6 of the rulebook perfectly describes how coordinated attacks work, it misses to define that the allied army can only be the flanking force, not the primary force.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.