Subject: 4p Game tonorow - deck building tips required rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Guerra
United States
Eagle pass
Texas
flag msg tools
Hey everyone, in need of some suggestions on how to tackle this situation.

Got some of my cousins coming over tomorrow night for a night of gaming and they are all LOTR fans so im thinking of this as the game of choice for the night.

Currently I own: 1x Core Set , the first cycle expansions (all 6) and the khazad dum expansion 'big box' expansion.

I will be using pen & paper for threat tracking for the 3rd and 4th player so thats not a problem.

My question is how make the 4 decks. should i just make them all single sphere so that 1 is tactics, 1 is spirit, 1 leadership and 1 lore to keep things simple? and just add 1 gandalf to each.

If doing this i will be removing from each deck all the multi-sphere oriented cards (belt of narv, songs, etc...)

Or should i go crazy and make 4 dual-sphere decks?

(this will be the first time playing the game for 3 of the players).

thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation is to build four mono-sphere decks.

It is much easier, if you do not have to also keep an eye on which hero has how many resources to play your cards, especially, if some of the players do not know the game.

And it makes the whole experience more cooperative, I believe.

Each sphere has specific advantages and disadvantages, which multi-sphere decks tend to have to a much lesser degree. That's cool. It makes each of the decks more unique.

And when you play a second game, you can switch decks, so everyone can try something else.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Weidus
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the easy way out. If you made some themed decks, you might actually get them to like the game better. You could do a Rohan deck, 1 or 2 dwarf decks, a elf deck. They don't need to be completely optimized. Just give them a sense of something more than "I'm the tactics guy"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to do the first quest as mono sphere. It just makes it easier for the new players to get the mechanics.
Then, for the 2nd, 3rd, etc, switching up to 2 spheres should be a lot easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Themed decks is also a good idea.

If you have the time, it might be a good idea to make deck lists for mono-sphere decks and for themed decks, so you can easily switch between them.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Fuqua
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would probably go mono-sphered with everyone's deck. If you had more expansions then themed decks with two spheres would be good. Really the only two theme types worth doing is Rohan and Dwarf. Elf decks are catching up because there are tons of Noldor and Silvan allies, enough heroes, BUT just not many attachments or event cards yet focused on elves. I definitely look forward to having robust Elf and Gondor decks. Finally, you might want to look into OCTGN, it's a program that allows you to play the card game online with friends or even do solo games.
Here's the program: http://kellyelton.github.com/OCTGN/
And the files you need to play: http://octgn.gamersjudgement.com/viewforum.php?f=25
My name is WillFuqua on there if you ever want to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If teaching game, go monosphere. There's enough to learn without having to keep track of spheres, and gives new players a more located sense of what their deck does...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.