Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Warhammer: Invasion» Forums » General

Subject: Cards for balanced decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
Hey all,

I purchased a core set, played a few games, and enjoyed it. However, I don't think I can add another LCG onto the monthly purchase list. So I was going to get just enough to make 6 thematic, fun, and balanced decks to have when I feel like playing (I say this now, but then it's payday...).

So here's what I'm thinking:
Core set - do I need more than one copy of this, or will I feel like I have all the cards I need with 1?
Ulthuan - already ordered

After this, I was planning on picking up the Enemy Cycle and Legends, and leaving it there. I don't feel the need to get the neutral factions, as I like keeping it thematic to the races in the core set.

Would this give me the tools to get some thematic decks that really show off what the game has to offer?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Mehta
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
If you are looking for the most replayability / theme for your dollar, then definitely do not buy multiple copies of the Core Set. That's much more important for tournament play.

I don't remember exactly what is in each cycle, but that sounds like a very good start. If need be, you can purchase one more cycle, too, partly with the money you saved from not buying multiple copies of the core set.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
opotamus wrote:
If you are looking for the most replayability / theme for your dollar, then definitely do not buy multiple copies of the Core Set. That's much more important for tournament play.

I don't remember exactly what is in each cycle, but that sounds like a very good start. If need be, you can purchase one more cycle, too, partly with the money you saved from not buying multiple copies of the core set.


The B&N by me had them on deep clearance, so I picked up 4 for the price of one (bought out their stock). I was going to trade the extras, but I didn't know if that should mean keep 1, 2, or 3. So that's not an issue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are not interested in tournament play, limit yourself to 1 base set.

I would advise you to pick Assault on Ulthuan rather than buy the Enemy cycle. You will get the cards needed to play with 2 more factions (High Elves and Dark Elves). The base sets has only several HE and DE cards, not enough to creat a full deck.

The Legends expansion is a good choice. It has many good cards, but more importantly it includes legends, which are fun to play. They are quite costly and hardly ever seen in tournaments, but for casual play they work well.


If you lived in Poland, I could send you many 3x and 2x cards from the Core set, because I bought 3 base sets for my use, and now the cards just lay in the box. It would give you and your opponent even more room to create two-faction decks. Unfortunatelly, the international shipment cost is outrageous.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
hobb3 wrote:

I would advise you to pick Assault on Ulthuan rather than buy the Enemy cycle. You will get the cards needed to play with 2 more factions (High Elves and Dark Elves). The base sets has only several HE and DE cards, not enough to creat a full deck.


Already have Ulthuan on order - should be here soon! I was going to pick up the Enemy cycle because I wanted to get 1 chapter pack cycle to flesh out the decks, and I heard Enemy was a great place to start. I also heard Legends are fun, so glad to have that reinforced!

Thanks for the offer, but yep, shipping to New York would be out of control.

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hall
United States
Marion
SC - South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Order tends to need the second core more than Destruction, and Empire in particular still gets significant help from a third, whereas the third core is barely going to be noticeable for the Destro races. If you already have the cores in hand, I would definitely keep two. If you wind up getting enough other stuff, you can get Empire away from the Judgment plan and they won't need the third core so much.

Dwarves get some *really* strong cards in the Enemy cylce, so they should be on par with the Destruction races even without the second core.

Both of the Elf factions could use a second Ulthuan, but I'd probably try to target some of the Battle Packs that give them good stuff first. Two Ulthuans is plenty even for tournament players, really.

Legends is worth it for sure. Dollar-wise, March of the Damned is probably better than most battlepacks even if you don't want to build Undead- or Lizardmen-centric decks. If you're going with no neutrals whatsoever, it's less attractive.

You can usually tell which race is getting the best stuff in a given pack. So, if you find one faction is getting rolled all the time, you can just buy a pack that helps them out. Or you can just buy them all.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look here. You can select the packs you are interested in and then switch to the Spoiler View to see the cards.

http://deckbox.org/games/whi/cards
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
dangerouslycheesy wrote:

Both of the Elf factions could use a second Ulthuan, but I'd probably try to target some of the Battle Packs that give them good stuff first. Two Ulthuans is plenty even for tournament players, really.


Ah, Ulthuan doesn't have 3 of each card included?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hall
United States
Marion
SC - South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
MattShinners wrote:
dangerouslycheesy wrote:

Both of the Elf factions could use a second Ulthuan, but I'd probably try to target some of the Battle Packs that give them good stuff first. Two Ulthuans is plenty even for tournament players, really.


Ah, Ulthuan doesn't have 3 of each card included?


Nope, unfortunately it was still on the old model, though it wasn't nearly as bad as the core set about giving you 1x cards that you wanted 3x. There were two copies (or more) of most things worth playing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.