Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Image Admin hilarious rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
Thanks to those that approve images. you are sooooooooooooooo cool.
The latest hilariousness.
7 images declined. All too similar to each other....yet none approved. I have others loading.....oh wait a new mail...make that 8 images, fair cop that one was blurry, I grabbed wrong one! dang it.

Hmm.
all too similar but...similar to what? something already there? No.

People keep asking me why I dont post AARs or many video here any more.
This is why.

I spend all the time to painstakingly follow the laborious process add comments to every pic, summary or other wise, then click each picture "game" gallery, then click to load each picture..wait for all the pictures to load, go back and re load the ones that hang..2out of5 usually do.

Then I get a 90% of pictures or even a 100% declined. If I am trying to construct an AAR that is a sequence of turns then yes they WILL LOOK similar....sigh.

From now on I'll be posting in General with a header saying session report. with a link to images or a link to a facebook page or a blog post.

keep your GG.

http://bigboard.tumblr.com/

16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I just put things into my personal gallery.
48 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
leroy43 wrote:
This is why I just put things into my personal gallery.

most likely a good idea.
I think it is also going to be easier however to just link to images, versus this. Some games dont have many good shots, however.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife also thinks I buy the exact same game over and over and over!
23 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The 4E Russian Campaign photos? I just saw 6-8 of them. They were on the game page.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange: my experience as a geekmoder us that anything wargame-y gets approved no matter how bad the picture is. I always supposed those were the euro-moders just clicking "accept" so as to not have to look at a wargame for too long.

But it seems it's just a matter of luck.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Queen Carlotta
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
Contre nous de la tyrannie, l’étendard sanglant est levé
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, didn't happen on my shift. I did a fair bit of modding yesterday and today and looking through my history, it seems everything wargame related got through. Golan 73 cover, UBoat Leader counters, Across Four Ocean Minis, Russian Campaign, even this one, where the focus is arguably not on the game

(who am I kidding, "even" should be an "of course")

Seems like bad luck - a flock of stern Abstract/Euro players geekmodding at the same time and mistaking the "pending" queue for the "Existing images" gallery. I'm pretty certain that it wouldn't have happened, if you'd added a "note" for the mod that those images were for a session report (best not to use "AAR" - not everyone knows what that means)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I rarely mod anymore, I can understand both their side, and your frustration.

The game page is really not the place for a series of turn-sequence photos. That would best work as part of a session report. The pictures are not tied together in the db, so they will not appear as a group, which is your intent, and the basis for their relevance.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I put images for AAR's in my own gallery rather than load up the games images. I might post one of them to the game images.
24 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
diehard4life wrote:
Although I rarely mod anymore, I can understand both their side, and your frustration.

The game page is really not the place for a series of turn-sequence photos. That would best work as part of a session report. The pictures are not tied together in the db, so they will not appear as a group, which is your intent, and the basis for their relevance.


Yeah you know what you are right. I just just went to the wrong spot. My bad.
I had it in my mind to post "some" shots to the gallery, then just went all crazy and shit ....Dam drugs. Gotta stop that. blush

Well of the ones I popped up 4 of 20 made it. Not bad......Just like my die rolls.
7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
I have to concur with about Y-O-U placing them within your own "Personal Gallery" here, as it were much better with avoiding that dreaded or often 'Photo Image Violation' "B-S" occurrence you'll get FROM many off-line, "supposedly" 'hosting' sort then.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
hipshot wrote:
People keep asking me why I dont post AARs or many video here any more.
This is why.


Kev, I love you man, but posting more than three AAR photos in the game gallery is just unworkable. First, they always end up out of order, so you can't even go through the gallery and have them really make sense. Second, they end up cluttering the gallery. I find myself wading through page after page of pictures that only make sense in the context of the AAR.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
Avatar
mb
Alois_Schimmerlos wrote:
Well, didn't happen on my shift. I did a fair bit of modding yesterday and today and looking through my history, it seems everything wargame related got through. Golan 73 cover, UBoat Leader counters, Across Four Ocean Minis, Russian Campaign, even this one, where the focus is arguably not on the game

(who am I kidding, "even" should be an "of course")

Seems like bad luck - a flock of stern Abstract/Euro players geekmodding at the same time and mistaking the "pending" queue for the "Existing images" gallery. I'm pretty certain that it wouldn't have happened, if you'd added a "note" for the mod that those images were for a session report (best not to use "AAR" - not everyone knows what that means)
Is that a photo of Kasserine Pass?
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kev i load pics to my gallery to do aars. Most recent aar was declined because i posted link to csw where the aar was originally posted. i havent posted an aar on bgg in awhile because csw has more traffic and is easier to do aar there.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The modding by committee doesn't really work, as a look through almost any image gallery will tell you.
Galleries are packed with poor photos and some interesting ones get declined.

I have no problem with people uploading hundreds of photos of their cat sitting on a board or the 1000 minis they painted, but these are best in personal galleries.

I'd like to see the game galleries reserved for the best photos.

While modding I've noticed that many pictures originally declined are simply resubmitted, until they are approved.

It's clear many mods don't understand the rules. Are "individual component" images ever declined for this reason?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
'moi' "GOT" 'dibs' on E-V-E-R-Y 'die-face'-*representative symbol* then! surprise
1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
gorgeous WoW photos
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
elbmc1969 wrote:
hipshot wrote:
People keep asking me why I dont post AARs or many video here any more.
This is why.


Kev, I love you man, but posting more than three AAR photos in the game gallery is just unworkable. First, they always end up out of order, so you can't even go through the gallery and have them really make sense. Second, they end up cluttering the gallery. I find myself wading through page after page of pictures that only make sense in the context of the AAR.

Point taken.As I mentioned, I mena to post a few happy snaps to "add value" to the gallery,,,, sans large breasted women play TRC...or W.E.
Got distracted.
The point was- 100% rejection for sameness, 0 posted..oh..um..ok..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
gohrns wrote:
Kev i load pics to my gallery to do aars. Most recent aar was declined because i posted link to csw where the aar was originally posted. i havent posted an aar on bgg in awhile because csw has more traffic and is easier to do aar there.

Interesting TOm. I was unaware.
I rarely post content here now unless I do it in General forum. to avoid random ass Adminery.... its a new word..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
nickbolton wrote:
The modding by committee doesn't really work, as a look through almost any image gallery will tell you.
Galleries are packed with poor photos and some interesting ones get declined.

I have no problem with people uploading hundreds of photos of their cat sitting on a board or the 1000 minis they painted, but these are best in personal galleries.

I'd like to see the game galleries reserved for the best photos.

While modding I've noticed that many pictures originally declined are simply resubmitted, until they are approved.

It's clear many mods don't understand the rules. Are "individual component" images ever declined for this reason?

lol no shit. I was trying to post to Angola.. a new reprint from MMP. shots that I think are useless adorn the gallery, and my shots - closeup .. what ever get punted. Really.
They might be better off assigning a game to a person once a month on rotation randomly, and have some one go thru, and just delete shitty pics.
I'd prefer that....! OR make it Publisher approved. OR ..hmm about anything else.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
gohrns wrote:
because csw has more traffic


Eh... No?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
* Use your own galleries for bulk photos

* Upload one or two really nice shots to the gallery

* Keep posting your AARs on BGG, it is highly appreciated and is a vaueable resource to the whole gaming community. Sometimes I stumble across old AARs of games I've never heard of and get inspired. If you post an AAR on CSW it is virtually gone after a week, because of the forum format. No one has the time to dig backwards in the user hostile CSW forum format. On BGG I can click on "reviews" or "sessions" for each individual game.

You will never create new wargamers by posting on CSW. More wargamers is a good thing, that means more games in the future.

* Crosslink everything you do on CSW and BGG to make the the different users see the value of both sites.

My 2 cents.
18 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Queen Carlotta
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
Contre nous de la tyrannie, l’étendard sanglant est levé
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If "AAR" refers to a string of step by step pictures without being framed in an accompanying post in "sessions", then, yes, the image gallery is not that ideal for such. It might help a little if the poster added links to the before and after photos in the comments, or, just added them to a forum post anyways - maybe in General not in Sessions, people are used to see some text in Session Reports.

I have no problem with re-submissions, as long the submitter adds a note to the geekmod as to what his intentions are. If image posters would do this in the first place, it would lead to far less frustrations on both sides. People need to communicate more in these cases!

As to kevs original problem of having pics declined for similarity to non-existant images, I guess that could be explained by the way the modding system works (at least that's how I understand it to work - I read that somewhere here in some forum post - ):
Modders don't receive the images in the same order!
That means if get a string of similar images by one poster and I approve of , say, the first two, but then decide that is enough of those kinds of pics and decline the rest in the queue, those two I let pass might end up later in the queue for the next mod who had decided "enough is enough" before they came up...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
Alois_Schimmerlos wrote:

As to kevs original problem of having pics declined for similarity to non-existant images, I guess that could be explained by the way the modding system works (at least that's how I understand it to work - I read that somewhere here in some forum post - ):
Modders don't receive the images in the same order!
That means if get a string of similar images by one poster and I approve of , say, the first two, but then decide that is enough of those kinds of pics and decline the rest in the queue, those two I let pass might end up later in the queue for the next mod who had decided "enough is enough" before they came up...

ahhhh. well that makes sense.
Please read all my comments in the thread , I did make a clarification. Thanks for all the tips as well fellas.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
FWIW - The GeekMod system won't reject a photo unless the majority of people who reviewed it felt it should be rejected. That's always going to be subject to the group that was in at that given time.

Personally, I've never had a picture rejected where I didn't understand why.

That said - There IS a way to fix it. If enough people think the system is bad ... start participating and your participation will mitigate the problems inherent in GeekMod.

It's an elegant system that allows timely review and posting of, generally, good pictures.

Some of your critiques hit the nail on the head! Artistic shots like depth of field compositions, etc. miss the mark with reviewers when they're not of Euro components. How many long shadow cast by a meeple pictures does BGG really need right?

So, I think there's an outlet on your site which has some great pictures.

I'm also putting together a site that's focused on taking pictures of board games in a studio setup with a photographer friend. We're going to be rolling it out in the next few months once we have more content pre-loaded and prepared to sustain the site for a while.

Either way, this is a problem that has a lot of solutions. The easiest of which is to participate in the GeekMod process.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.