Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott G

Mentor
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.gamesalute.com/?p=32230

My thoughts on the game:
- Steampunk genre has never really pulled me in….
- The huge lead time is a turn off (.. ETA next June)…

But.. something about this game has me tempted. If I have to money, I’d backed instantly. So.. for now.. I’m on the fence. Mostly likely, I’ll have to wait (hope) for the kickstarter to fund successful… and maybe purchase at next year’s Origins after full demo / sample play.. (… also June 2013).

The family version in the rules makes me think I could get this to the table… and part of what swings me to purchase. And the art is just stellar.

Is the slow start on KS something to worry about?
Did Empires of the Void have a slow start.. and then surge mid/end of the KS campaign?
Any reason this game didn’t have a good start like so many other board game KS’s? Bad Gen Con perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
scottieGGGG wrote:
Is the slow start on KS something to worry about?
Did Empires of the Void have a slow start.. and then surge mid/end of the KS campaign?

I'm not sure the start has been THAT slow; after 9 days it's already over a quarter of the way there.

Maybe slowness is relative, but for the games I've backed, this hasn't seem atypical to me. I think those that get a strong surge up front may be the exception, not the rule (though I don't have anything to back that up with other than the games I've personally backed). Empires of the Void, if I recall, was this way as well.

I think the only thing "slowing" it is that he's still a small publisher and he's still trying to get the word out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G

Mentor
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. Good to hear that someone doesn't think it's "that" slow to start. Maybe I'm drawn / hear about the bigger name KS's and how they surge to 2000% of their asking level.. and often reach successful in only a few days.

That fact that GenCon was active during this KS (by design?), I actually expect many kickstarters to be promoted during that show... and ... thus expected to see many "quick to fund" campaigns during that time.

Worry if that if a game cannot get backers from in-person demos in the GenCon booth / game room... where else will the backers come from? What's really going to change in the next 40+ days to make people decide to back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if Ryan was at GenCon. He's literally a one-man-show in terms of designing and developing the game, so I'm not sure what his schedule looks like (and I know that game development is not his full-time job).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the whole Kickstarter Fatigue thing starting to affect the less heavily hyped titles. I know I feel it after backing 25 titles so far and now much more picky what I back. I've tried to resist the temptation of a few titles and currently only 2 I have active, this and Airborne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
mbmbmbmbmb
If this game doesn't get funded, I'm going to cry blood out of my asshole or something extreme like that. I've been wanting a drafting deck builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.