Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at D-Day Dice and I am intrigued, but I already have Elder Sign, which is another yatzee on steroids (so a game with a very similar mechanic) along with Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age which I also own.
I then have In Magnificent Style which scratches the same light-war-game itch, even though with very different mechanic.

So, do you think D-Day dice would find space in my collection, or do you think it would just be a double?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Dickinson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see Elder Sign as more of a "puzzle-solving" dice game, whereas D-Day Dice has a lot more interplayer interaction with the sharing of resources, timing of moves, etc. I think the games are different enough that you shouldn't write off D-Day Dice just because you have Elder Sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
binary101010 wrote:
I see Elder Sign as more of a "puzzle-solving" dice game, whereas D-Day Dice has a lot more interplayer interaction with the sharing of resources, timing of moves, etc. I think the games are different enough that you shouldn't write off D-Day Dice just because you have Elder Sign.

Mmh. Interesting points... But if I'll only play it solo? Would your view change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Farthing
United States
Auburn
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is more challenging, but I feel like D-Day Dice really shines as a solitaire game. It is a real challenge to win, but I still keep coming back for more--a surefire sign of a good solitaire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that DDD shines as a solo game. The co-operative game is interesting, but the heart of the game is solo. The production is VERY nice. It's one of those games you gotta play over once you ---almost---make it all the way up the map.

Not just Yahtzee on steroids at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
r2mites wrote:
It is more challenging, but I feel like D-Day Dice really shines as a solitaire game. It is a real challenge to win, but I still keep coming back for more--a surefire sign of a good solitaire game.

I keep on reading how good DDay Dice is as a solitaire, but my issue is another one: if I already own similar games that share the same mechanic or are of the same genre, does DDD bring something new?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all three and will rank them in this order in terms of "fun". (Dunno about the wargame-y side though)

1. Elder Sign
2. Roll Through the Ages
3. D-Day Dice

For me, Elder Sign is great because of the theme. I'm a fan of the Cthulu mythos and I feel like part of the game. However, the issue I have is your choices are somewhat obvious as far as dice results.

Roll Through the Ages is good because the decisions you make to gain food/people/goods are pretty relevant. You can pursue different strategies, instead of the "roll and select the obvious choice".

D-Day Dice has characteristics of both games, however I don't believe it does it better than either of them. The atmosphere for D-Day Dice is there, but I don't "feel" it as much as Elder Sign but definitely moreso than Roll Through the Ages. The dice results and your choices in D-Day Dice are more meaningful than ES, but not moreso than RTtA.

Now, to answer your primary question....is there a spot for D-Day Dice if you own the other two? "Yes, but..." D-Day Dice does feel different from both games and I could probably play all 3 in one game night and not feel like I've played the same game 3 times. However, I don't think you'd be missing out if you didn't have it in your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:
I own all three and will rank them in this order in terms of "fun". (Dunno about the wargame-y side though)

1. Elder Sign
2. Roll Through the Ages
3. D-Day Dice

I think you're right on with that order. I backed DDD on KS and walked away slightly disappointed with the game. Elder Sign is much superior in terms of production and theme. When I play DDD I feel as if I'm just going through some motions and it's not as fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:

1. Elder Sign
2. Roll Through the Ages
3. D-Day Dice

For me, Elder Sign is great because of the theme. I'm a fan of the Cthulu mythos and I feel like part of the game. However, the issue I have is your choices are somewhat obvious as far as dice results.

Roll Through the Ages is good because the decisions you make to gain food/people/goods are pretty relevant. You can pursue different strategies, instead of the "roll and select the obvious choice".

D-Day Dice has characteristics of both games, however I don't believe it does it better than either of them. The atmosphere for D-Day Dice is there, but I don't "feel" it as much as Elder Sign but definitely moreso than Roll Through the Ages. The dice results and your choices in D-Day Dice are more meaningful than ES, but not moreso than RTtA.

Now, to answer your primary question....is there a spot for D-Day Dice if you own the other two? "Yes, but..." D-Day Dice does feel different from both games and I could probably play all 3 in one game night and not feel like I've played the same game 3 times. However, I don't think you'd be missing out if you didn't have it in your collection.

rmilanov wrote:
arcane220 wrote:

1. Elder Sign
2. Roll Through the Ages
3. D-Day Dice

I think you're right on with that order. I backed DDD on KS and walked away slightly disappointed with the game. Elder Sign is much superior in terms of production and theme. When I play DDD I feel as if I'm just going through some motions and it's not as fun.

Exactly the answers I was looking for!!!

Thanks to both GG awarded

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.