Gabriel Cohn
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I know this has been asked, but...

It seems to me that the council chamber is just too good. Once you have a guy in there (at a decent level) all you do is take a cube and then get one of the actions (at the level your family member is at or below) without paying any cost?

In contrast, on the craft buildings you pay time to use your placed workers. And to move when traveling you use lots of cubes and workers (though, yes, this gains you points as well as stuff).

In short, it seems unfair. Are you sure you're not supposed to pay the 2 green cubes or scroll even if you don't move forward? (It does say without paying the cost "above" the windows, and the 2 green cubes/scroll is at the window level.) That would seem fair (in which case, you could, for instance, trade 2 green cubes for 2 of your choice).

Thanks all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gabrielcohn wrote:
I know this has been asked, but...

It seems to me that the council chamber is just too good. Once you have a guy in there (at a decent level) all you do is take a cube and then get one of the actions (at the level your family member is at or below) without paying any cost?

In contrast, on the craft buildings you pay time to use your placed workers. And to move when traveling you use lots of cubes and workers (though, yes, this gains you points as well as stuff).

In short, it seems unfair. Are you sure you're not supposed to pay the 2 green cubes or scroll even if you don't move forward? (It does say without paying the cost "above" the windows, and the 2 green cubes/scroll is at the window level.) That would seem fair (in which case, you could, for instance, trade 2 green cubes for 2 of your choice).

Thanks all...

The power is limited because there are only so many influence cubes on this action. Plus, I typically go here early on which means I have a 1 or a 2 family member there and risk him being forced off the board because of death.

The other offsetting power is that you don't score a lot of points. Basically you get one guy in here and take what you can. And however far he progresses is the points you get. The Cathedral works similar but has point potential each round. And it makes sense to have more than one in the Cathedral so the points you gain can be decent.

Travel is another large point generator. Yes, it takes a lot of cubes/wagons to get anywhere but these are giving you both immediate effects (including points and other resources) but also giving yo a large bonus at the end.

And the Council and Travel work well together as you can activate your council guy to get you the missing cubes or wagon you need to travel at a much cheaper cost.

So I don't see it as overpowered. You pay the initial costs up front just to advance the guy and the actions are limited by the influence draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Fully agree with previous poster. I think the council chamber is quite balanced. In theory it can net you a lot of points, but in practice you will have to work hard.

The church can net you 2 VPs each round if you invest, and with each additional meeple you get additional points at game end as well as running for the 2 VPs for mass.

In the council chamber you will have to get medals as well as reaching the top space in order to get those 3VPs which is in truth a net gain of 2VPs since each coin is itself worth 1 VP.

So, even though it is true that it can help you a lot with other areas (mainly travel), it is also true that you need to spend actions in other stuff in order to gain full advantage of it (produce weed -> trade weed for gold -> trade 1 gold/action for 3VPs).

Finally, whereas in the church you won't have any difficult decisions because there are no additional actions to be taken, in the council chamber you will at times choose not to get the 3VPs in order to do something else... so theoretically, whereas the church could give you a comfortable 2VP each round without you taking any action, in the case of the council, you'd have to make choices... so put this way, I'd say the church is closer to be overpowered than the council chamber, but then again, is not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP is under the misguided apprehension that paying time is a "cost" and thus not paying time is somehow a benefit. However, there is a benefit to using up time, and that is that your meeples get into the chronicle, which is worth points at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have just as much opportunity to get your guys in there as your opponents do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.