Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was on the brink of buying this game. I love history and lately I have been buying a lot of games that have to do with history (1989, 1812, etc...) But for some reason I didn't buy this. But then my birthday came and my wife bought me this game.

So, here is a quick little review of this game.

The box is sturdy and well made and will handle well with a lot of use. (Unlike my Strike of the Eagle box where one of the corners tore apart for some reason even though I had barely used it). The board for this game is nice and thick mounted map, but I would say be careful openning it up as I was trying to get it all unfolded and part of the map tore just a little from the mounted part, no big deal, but now I am very careful. The cards are nice, nothing special, better than average, but not great (like the GMT cards or Strike of the Eagle cards). You get lots and lots of cubes which is nice, each side in the game gets their own dice, which is cool, even though the dice is kind of light and cheap. The white plastic tray everything is set in is kind of junky I thought, but in the grand terms of everything that really isn't a big deal, except for the fact the regular big playing cards are kind of hard to fit into the tray spaces, or at least I thought so. So overall, I liked the components, though the quality isn't exactly the greatest.

But, who cares about components, is the game worth playing?

Yes.

Absolutely. In the 4 player mode, which I have played, I thought it was great. Not too complex, there is nothing too hard to bend your mind around. (I have been playing games like Andean Abyss and Strike of the Eagle and Kingdom of Heaven lately, so it was nice for a more medium/light weight game of rules). I like that each party running for president had a special advantage that was just for that party, even though it didn't really over power any of them.

The cards worked well, were interesting, and you had a good decision to make every turn of whether to help yourself or try to limit one of the other parties. I wished it included a little history on each of the cards kind of like the game 1989, I like that little tid bit of information on the cards. (But it does inspire me to look it up myself).

I wish the map had been done a little different, not enough room is given for the small eastern states, where obviously a lot of action will go on. they could have slid the map to the west a bit, and making the boxes for the eastern states bigger.

Overall, I had a fun time playing this game. It's great with 4 people, it's the kind of game you can pull out, teach to new people right on the spot, and then have a chance for everyone to play (I love the game Andean Abyss by GMT games, but it's not a game you can just teach people and play, it would be harder), but with Divided Republic you could just whip it out and play and have a good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.