Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
97 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Discussion Thread for You Know, For Kids - A Family-Friendly Math Trade rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the discussion thread!

If you're looking for the trade list, it's here.

If you're looking for the request list, it's here.

This is the place to let me know if you have any questions, concerns, gripes, or if you just want to discuss the trade.

My one request: if you have any hiccups with the trading process once the results are final, please try to work things out in private first before going to this thread. I've participated in dozens of math trades, and there have been very few actual issues that weren't caused by a simple mistake or miscommunication that was easily rectified with via GeekMail.

Now that that's out of the way, have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, one other point. In no way am I trying to make a value judgement on what constitutes family-friendliness, or discriminate against families with teenage or adult children, or anything like that. I just have a toddler myself, and it seemed like using the subdomains and ESRB ratings was a good way to focus the trade. Maybe I'm being overly concerned, but I want this to be a themed math trade, not an argument, so hopefully we can just all have some fun, even if you don't have young kids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to put an early D&D pack as an item, but I want to get permission first. I don't want to waste my time adding it first and then finding out it's not "family friendly" and having to remove it, since I was going to itemize each parts' condition, which will take some time.

The items are:
GAZ10: The Orcs of Thar
GAZ5: The Elves of Alfheim
GAZ2: The Emirates of Ylaruam
PC1: Tall Tales of the Wee Folk
Legends & Lore
Oriental Adventures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another interesting idea. As I have no kids, I'll pass on this. Someone asked me to run an unrestricted MT next week, but I can wait until this one's done...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
Another interesting idea. As I have no kids, I'll pass on this. Someone asked me to run an unrestricted MT next week, but I can wait until this one's done...

Ooooh, THAT's what I've been really waiting for, it's been too long since we've had one of those, at least 3 months I think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
I was going to put an early D&D pack as an item, but I want to get permission first. I don't want to waste my time adding it first and then finding out it's not "family friendly" and having to remove it

I appreciate the thought, but I'm OK with it if you are. I don't plan to police the list; I figure this is general enough of a theme that the honor system will be fine. Post away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VolcanoLotus wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
I was going to put an early D&D pack as an item, but I want to get permission first. I don't want to waste my time adding it first and then finding out it's not "family friendly" and having to remove it

I appreciate the thought, but I'm OK with it if you are. I don't plan to police the list; I figure this is general enough of a theme that the honor system will be fine. Post away!

Cool, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"No one ever influenced Tolkien - you might as well try to influence a bandersnatch." -C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an RPG Genre called Kid-Friendly which lists many games specifically aimed at kids and families. Click to see pages of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
Another interesting idea. As I have no kids, I'll pass on this.

You're still welcome to participate if you'd like - quite a few good games are in the Family subdomain, including 10 of the Top 100 ranked games, and you can always use the request list for stuff that wouldn't normally make the cut. No worries if you want to wait for your next trade, though - and thanks for not overlapping
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Is there an easy way to tell what's in the Children and Family domains?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"No one ever influenced Tolkien - you might as well try to influence a bandersnatch." -C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:

Is there an easy way to tell what's in the Children and Family domains?

I went to MyGeek -- For Trade and used the Columns feature at the top to add Subdomain Polls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that sweeteners (or pick-from-this-list) don't need to all be family-oriented.

I don't know that this will turn up anything I want to trade for, but I'll be putting up Fresco (family!) with pick-a-sweetener of Dominion: Seaside or Power Grid: First Sparks. Neither of which are particularly family-unfriendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
anglotiger wrote:

Ooooh, THAT's what I've been really waiting for, it's been too long since we've had one of those, at least 3 months I think!

Or... 1 month?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
anglotiger wrote:

Or... 1 month?

Nah I don't count that one, I'm talking good ol' fashioned, unrestricted, anything goes math trades.

The one from a month ago, my eyes glazed over at the idea of prioritizing hundreds of items so I skipped that one pretty fast...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
No good deed goes unpunished.
badge
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There's a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:

I am going to wait for this as well. I have no kids and Jack is the MT KING! bacon (Sorry... there is not crown emoticon.). How about: tantaj:

I did not mean to imply that Jeremy (VolcanoLotus) is not good at math trades... he is great and I absolutely encourage everyone to join in this math trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
No good deed goes unpunished.
badge
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There's a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Nah I don't count that one, I'm talking good ol' fashioned, unrestricted, anything goes math trades.

The one from a month ago, my eyes glazed over at the idea of prioritizing hundreds of items so I skipped that one pretty fast...

Testify, Brother, Testify! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The item count so far is pretty low. Seems like maybe a lot of people aren't participating yet because they think they aren't interested in the theme? But lots of games match the Family subdomain, more than I thought. And you can always add 1 "anything you want" game for every 3 Family games you add. Come on, people, start your game-adding engines!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gatchaman wrote:
The item count so far is pretty low. Seems like maybe a lot of people aren't participating yet because they think they aren't interested in the theme? But lots of games match the Family subdomain, more than I thought.

Yeah, "Family" games is pretty broad, here, and includes many popular Euros - if anyone's still on the fence because they think they won't like any of the games, check out the list - I won't say there's something for everyone, but I think the vast majority of gamers have both things to post and things they'd like. There's a bunch of good stuff in the trade already, too!

gatchaman wrote:
And you can always add 1 "anything you want" game for every 3 Family games you add.

Not to mention the request list - we've already had a few requests for "off-theme" items fulfilled!

gatchaman wrote:
Come on, people, start your game-adding engines!

Indeed! I suppose perhaps people are waiting for the unrestricted one, but there's no reason you can't do both (I probably will). Worst case, no one posts something you want, and you submit blank want lists. If you use the OLWLG to add items, you could add all the same stuff from this trade to the next one in literally seconds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CM Amidon
United States
Hancock
Michigan
flag msg tools
Isle Royale NP
badge
GO CRAWL IN A CAVE! When not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Though this math trade does not yet have a lot of participation, I thought this theme was a good idea. Kudos to you for attempting this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does Galaxy Trucker not qualify as a family game??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VolcanoLotus wrote:
Indeed! I suppose perhaps people are waiting for the unrestricted one, but there's no reason you can't do both (I probably will). Worst case, no one posts something you want, and you submit blank want lists. If you use the OLWLG to add items, you could add all the same stuff from this trade to the next one in literally seconds.

Agreed! Post items in this one, even if you don't see anything you want yet. Your additions might encourage others to add things you want. Plus, as Jeremy says, you can copy your items to the next Math Trade using the OLWLG, which will really save you time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry for all the questions, but for this Math Trade

Will I be able to post Game A (Memoir '44) only if I can get game B (Galaxy Trucker).

I have other games on my want list besides GT but will only put up Memoir if I would be able to get GT in return.

Any likelihood of that happening??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VolcanoLotus wrote:
anglotiger wrote:
Another interesting idea. As I have no kids, I'll pass on this.

You're still welcome to participate if you'd like - quite a few good games are in the Family subdomain, including 10 of the Top 100 ranked games, and you can always use the request list for stuff that wouldn't normally make the cut. No worries if you want to wait for your next trade, though - and thanks for not overlapping

I wouldn't dream of it! Overlapping that is...

I've found a few family friendly things to add to this event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
Sorry for all the questions, but for this Math Trade

Will I be able to post Game A (Memoir '44) only if I can get game B (Galaxy Trucker).

I have other games on my want list besides GT but will only put up Memoir if I would be able to get GT in return.

Any likelihood of that happening??

It's possible. And with a math trade, you can enter exactly that.

Post up your copy of Memoir '44 to offer. If someone puts up a copy of Galaxy Trucker, you can put that you will trade only Memoir '44 for Galaxy Trucker. And if that works out, yay. And if not, oh well. You'll never have to trade away a game without getting in return something that you entered into your wants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Post up your copy of Memoir '44 to offer. If someone puts up a copy of Galaxy Trucker, you can put that you will trade only Memoir '44 for Galaxy Trucker. And if that works out, yay. And if not, oh well. You'll never have to trade away a game without getting in return something that you entered into your wants.

Rephrasing that, in case it's more clear this way:

There is never a risk merely by adding a game to the trade. If you add a game, but never submit your wants, you have not committed to anything. Or if you submit your wants with nothing checked in the row for your game, you have not committed to send that game to anyone. So it is safe to add your games now, and only decide later whether or not you actually want to trade them for anything offered up by others.

If you check any boxes for that game, and (after the submission window opens) submit those wants, then you have committed to trade that game for any that you checked. You may or may not end up getting any of those trades you wanted, but if you do get one, you are obligated to follow through with that trade.

But you are never committed to any trades other than where you checked the boxes and submitted those as your official wants.

Before you actually submit your official wants, if you would like a math trade veteran to look them over to make sure they are sane, just ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.