Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same scale, blocks and the east front. How does this compare to Columbia Games' EastFront?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Santandrea
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I love it when a plan comes together!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hallo Bjorn,

EastFront is an excellent game we like vey much and Craig Basinque did a really good job.
We hope we could do as well as he did.

About Blocks in the East, the scale is 52miles/hex (while Eastfront is 70miles). That means that BITE has 9 hexes (3x3) every 4 hexes (2x2) have EF. And 300 BITE unit counters vs 150 EF counters.
Plus over 200 other counters, such as oil barrels, production points (yellow=generic, red=tank, blue=aircraft, white=navy), partisans, factories...
ALL the game parts are wooden or plastic made. The map is PVC laminated, like the stickers are and THERE IS NOT ANY PAPER COUNTER or part except the rules manual!

The reason is that we wanted to develope high quality game, corps-based, with some units representing divisions (some very strong SS formations such as the LSSAH) and some brigades (there are 2 hungarian brigades in the game, 1 is the mountain one while the other is a Security Division).

Here comes another interesting feauture: russian partisans. They can really break your supply lines if you dont put garrisons in conquered Soviet cities (thats why we have included also German RHG Security corps and other small units.
BITE has fighters, bombers, and Soviets have Long Range Aviation. Air war play a key role in the game.

Technology Level: units can gain better fire power, speed and special abilities reaching an higher Technology level. How? You have 2 options. Decide by yourself the research effort attempt in 6 specific fields: Infantry, Armor, Fighter, Bomber, Subs and Surface Ships, or use the deafult breakthrough time.
For example Soviets and all axis minors start the 1941 scenario at Technology Level 1 (the lowest) in all the 6 fields above. Germans have already reached Tech Level 2, all their units have better firepower, better mobility and more special abilities, such as Reserve Units, Paradrops, Exploitation, Panzer attack, Blitz...

Strategic warfare also has been developed to recreate the airwar over Germany and atlantic battle between U-boot and Lend Lease convoys trying to supply the Soviet Union.

Game could seem complicated at that point (still havent talked about Air Recon, Production - this is amazing - and Special Optional rules such as Sruka Trumpet Attack and T34 Large Winter track).
But we have developed 3 levels of difficulty and 10 scenarios.

Basic game rules manual is only 6 pages long. With many picyure and examples. It allows you to play in a couple of hours (and with a good beer!) one of the 4 basic short scenarios lasting only 3 months without too many things to remember.

Then you have the advanced game rules manual, 2 pages long, which introduces the use of fuel. Yes, fuel! To use your armor and air forces at full strenght in the advanced game, you need fuel.
Imagine the astonishing German war machine stalled on ground without fuel! Caucasus oilfields could change things... but they are far...
You can play all the 5 advanced scenarios (6 turns long) or even the 1941 Campaign.

But if you want too have more (partisans, armor productions, research and Soviet Marines in action...) then you are ready for the Master Level, which need 2 more pages of reading.

I hope I have given a good preview of what we have done.
In the next days we will post some more news, some picture of the Final Map and of the counters.

If things go right, we will be ready to ship the first copy on October 1st 2012.

Preorders ends on September 30th at midnight. After that regular price of 69 euros will be applied.

Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Best Regards

Emanuele Santandrea
Head of Historical Research and Game Development
VentoNuovo Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the information. Sounds interesting and it looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
How does it compare to Eastfront in complexity? I noted 21 pages of rules, which looks not much if I see what you put into it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Santandrea
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I love it when a plan comes together!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kael,

yes you are right. 21 pages of rules (images included!)

BLOCKS IN THE EAST is like Chess.
Few rules, many and many strategic options to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Gregor

Wells
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ULTIMO wrote:
Kael,

yes you are right. 21 pages of rules (images included!)

BLOCKS IN THE EAST is like Chess.
Few rules, many and many strategic options to choose from.

So excited to play your games man. they look awesome and the short rules is refreshing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.