Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
95 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Legal sex with a consenting partner rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what Rep. Kerry Gauthier had with a 17 year old male at a rest stop.

And he was forced to abandon his re-election bid by what is the more socially liberal of the two American political parties.

If you can't have sex with a consenting partner who is of age, who can you have sex with?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't 17 yo underage? How then is it legal?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
That's what Rep. Kerry Gauthier had with a 17 year old male at a rest stop.

And he was forced to resign by what is the more socially liberal of the two American political parties.


The story I found said he agreed to drop his re-election bid, but is not resigning for this term. Has this changed?

Quote:
If you can't have sex with a consenting partner who is of age, who can you have sex with?


He apparently didn't do anything illegal and he isn't being charged with anything. But I could see how soliciting for sex on Craigslist and meeting at a rest stop for a blow job from a minor might not be the behavior people are looking for in an elected official whatever his sexual orientation is.
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
whac3 wrote:
Isn't 17 yo underage? How then is it legal?


Might depend on state law?

I'm sure one of the various lawyers will jump in 3....2....1....

Darilian
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Isn't 17 yo underage? How then is it legal?

There are many different types of "underage" for various purposes, and they vary from state to state. In this case and for this purpose, the teen was not underage.

Quote:
Police say Gauthier admitted having oral sex with the boy on July 22 after the first-term lawmaker from Duluth advertised on Craigslist for "no strings attached" sex. Police declined to charge him because the boy was older than 16, the legal age of consent, and no money was exchanged.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Isn't 17 yo underage? How then is it legal?


Age of consent varies by state:

http://www.webistry.net/jan/consent.html
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of consent in MN is 16.

And I misspoke, he is not resigning he dropped his re-elecition bid.

But essentially it's the same thing, he is being pushed out of the job that otherwise assuredly would have been his.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
bjlillo wrote:
Random sex in a rest stop isn't exactly the most high brow of activities. Live boy/dead girl, etc...


And heck, that hardly hurt Huey Long at all in Louisiana!

Darilian
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have some sort of issue with this? I mean what are you getting at? You say he is being pushed out, the only thing that is pushing him out is his constituents who I can assure you don't want their representative getting caught having sex with anyone in restroom.
1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Age of consent in MN is 16.

And I misspoke, he is not resigning he dropped his re-elecition bid.

But essentially it's the same thing, he is being pushed out of the job that otherwise assuredly would have been his.


If they thought he would clearly be re-elected, then they probably wouldn't have pressured him to resign. The party's goal is to retake the legislature.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Ogsponge wrote:
Do you have some sort of issue with this? I mean what are you getting at? You say he is being pushed out, the only thing that is pushing him out is his constituents who I can assure you don't want their representative getting caught having sex with anyone in restroom.

How are his constituents pushing him out?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the higher ups in the state party pushing him out, it's not clear what way the constituents would have voted, but given him being the incumbent on the ballot, well dead people have won that way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a matter of pragmatism. A 56 year old who gets a blowjob from a 17 year old guy is just not electable regardless of party.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
And he was forced to abandon his re-election bid by what is the more socially liberal of the two American political parties.


He gave up his re-election bid because there is no chance he could get re-elected in our very not socially liberal society.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As a practical matter, I would generally prefer my party to run a candidate other than the one who gets blowjobs from "barely legal" people in bathrooms.

I'm not saying I'd vote for a republican on the strength of that fact alone, but it is a consideration. I feel like a guy who's that focused on getting his dick sucked is probably not spending as much time as I would like on political issues and more time surfing Craigslist looking for people to hook up with.
8 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
I feel like a guy who's that focused on getting his dick sucked

So really, your policy is to never vote for male politicians?
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
I feel like a guy who's that focused on getting his dick sucked

So really, your policy is to never vote for male politicians?
Maybe just not ones that have to go that far for it?

So I guess I'm saying that he should have been better looking.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
So I guess I'm saying that he should have been better looking.


So I can count you in the Ryan 2012 column then?
That overdressed fratboy? Not really my type, sorry.

Looks like the kind of guy I'd pick a fight with in high school just because.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
So I guess I'm saying that he should have been better looking.


The way he looks (and I assume you were joking) and his sex life (which it sounds like you were serious about) don't have anything to do with his accomplishments, political positions, or job performance. I'll grant you it's not a very promising sign... but it does bother me that decisions about political leaders focus more on the scandal than on how good a leader he was/could be. And I know nothing about him or his situation, or what happened. I'm speaking to the general idea more than to him specifically.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's something creepy about an adult in their fifties having sex with someone in their late teens. I know nothing about this case (e.g. whether he had a spouse he was cheating on), but if a hedonist like me finds someone's sex life creepy it's no surprise that it hurts their election chances.
10 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
I think there's something creepy about an adult in their fifties having sex with someone in their late teens. I know nothing about this case (e.g. whether he had a spouse he was cheating on), but if a hedonist like me finds someone's sex life creepy it's no surprise that it hurts their election chances.


Just did some googling and it appears he is openly homosexual, and unmarried.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
I think there's something creepy about an adult in their fifties having sex with someone in their late teens. I know nothing about this case (e.g. whether he had a spouse he was cheating on), but if a hedonist like me finds someone's sex life creepy it's no surprise that it hurts their election chances.


Just did some googling and it appears he is openly homosexual, and unmarried.


Well, that's certainly better than the alternatives. It doesn't change my reaction to the age gap. I certainly don't think there should be any legal sanction against him, but if he's just agreeing not to run again on the grounds that this would really hurt his chances then I think that's understandable.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
frumpish wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
I think there's something creepy about an adult in their fifties having sex with someone in their late teens. I know nothing about this case (e.g. whether he had a spouse he was cheating on), but if a hedonist like me finds someone's sex life creepy it's no surprise that it hurts their election chances.


Just did some googling and it appears he is openly homosexual, and unmarried.


Well, that's certainly better than the alternatives. It doesn't change my reaction to the age gap. I certainly don't think there should be any legal sanction against him, but if he's just agreeing not to run again on the grounds that this would really hurt his chances then I think that's understandable.


The Democrats are going to have a tough time keeping the seat either way. With him not running they will need to field a write in campaign to keep the seat and to make matters worse there are two Democrats currently seeking the seat. So the party has very little time to coalesce behind one of them, and then has to get his name out enough that people will write it in rather than bubbling one of the names actually on the ticket.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's about national spillover then. Republicans aren't only trying to get Aiken out because he could lose -- they know his presence turns off people in other races.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
Claiming that he wouldn't have gotten re-elected is taking the easy way out IMHO.


He had no shot at re-election. A gay sex scandal with a youth decades younger than himself? In the South?? (Okay, so whether Florida is really "the South" is another discussion) Ain't gonna happen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.