United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG ratings aside, looking for some personal feedback on which you would choose for a "quicker" solo/co-op game:

Elder Sign
or
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

By quicker, I just mean not a 2+ hour affair. I love Mansions of Madness, and I love War of the Ring, but both are long (or very long) games. I'm looking for a game to recreate the same atmosphere of those universes but that can be played by my lonesome or just my wife and I, and without having to play against each other.

Which do you like better, or would you recommend?

EDIT: I already own Elder Sign: Omens HD for iPad, and enjoy it enough that I would enjoy sharing the tabletop experience with others (or just to not be staring at a screen).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, especially since you have Omens on iPad. I only have the core and 2x chapter packs and I manage to have a good time. Some get frustrated by the difficulty, but I kind of like that most missions aren't cakewalks by any means. It does a pretty good job of recreating the Tolkien world, for a card game.

Elder Sign is pretty inexpensive as far as games go, you can always pick it up later and still use your iPad in the meantime. I don't find it quite as immersive as LotR LCG, but they are pretty different considering one is card driven and the other has a lot of dice rolling.

My 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you feel about deck construction? To get the most out of LotR:LCG, you'll need to do at least a bit of it. You can play the 3 scenarios in the base game using the cards in the base game. You can start with single-sphere decks, but they won't be "tournament legal" (too few cards). After a couple times, you'll at least want to mix 2 or 3 "spheres" together, which probably means choosing which cards to leave out (to get down to "tournament size").

If you enjoy Magic-style battle card games, where each card has various special abilities, and if you can tolerate, like, or love doing some deck construction, then LotR is probably your better choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin makes a good point regarding LotR LCG... If you don't like or want to do some deckbuilding, it probably isn't for you. I made tournament legal decks by making two decks with two spheres each and haven't messed with them much since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I don't quite get deck building. I can play Ascension and it's expansions just fine, but I get the feeling that's a different kind of deck building. Am I wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascention and Dominion are different in that players do not enter the game with a premade deck.

If you pick up LotR the card game, you'll have to make at least one deck of at least 50 cards (I made two) from a card pool. The composition of the deck can make a big difference in the success rate of questing. There are four spheres of cards, and I just made two decks with 2 spheres each which between them encompassed all four spheres. I'm by no means a deckbuilding expert and didn't find the process that bad... But it's not for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dojogrant wrote:
I think I don't quite get deck building. I can play Ascension and it's expansions just fine, but I get the feeling that's a different kind of deck building. Am I wrong?

"Deck-building" has come to mean 2 different things. One is in-game, like Ascension. The other is pre-game, like Magic: The Gathering. I use the term "Deck construction" for the pre-game style.

Imagine if you had all the Ascension cards in front of you. You have to put together a 30-card deck, using no more than 3 copies of any one card. Whatever deck you put together, you'll have to play the game with that deck (not adding cards during the game). That's not exactly the same feeling, but hopefully gives you an idea.

If you read the "Strategy" forums of LotR:LCG, you'll read about how people approach deck construction. It's a whole world. If you enjoy it, it can give you hours and hours and hours of enjoyment. Of course, it can also drain your wallet if you decide you need multiple copies of all the cards in all the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I will notnbe buying multiple copies of any decks. I don't mind expansions at all, but I don't want to feel forced to either. As I was understanding it, the LCGs aren't like that, but maybe not?

By spheres, we're you meaning cycles, like all 6 decks in a release cycle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dojogrant wrote:

I know very little about Magic, but I believe LotR "spheres" roughly correspond with Magic "colors".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, so 4 spheres come in the core set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dojogrant wrote:
Ah, so 4 spheres come in the core set?

Yes. And each includes 3 heroes, and 30 cards of that sphere. In the base set, there are 3 copies of the only "neutral" (sphere-less) card: Gandalf. You can't put a card into play or activate it without enough energy (I forget their term) of that sphere. Expansions start to dabble with cards that span more than one sphere.

(From memory, so apologies if it's slightly off)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
dojogrant wrote:

I know very little about Magic, but I believe LotR "spheres" roughly correspond with Magic "colors".

Is Gandalf an artifact or a land?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobDoctor wrote:

Um...he's a wizard?

Like I said, I don't know Magic. But I think I heard that lands generate mana, and in LotR, heroes generate the pellets that let you do stuff. A hero generates pellets of its own sphere/color. Heroes start the game already down, and you don't get more. There are precious few other ways to get pellets.

Gandalf is a card you get in your hand, and pay to play. Being neutral, you can pay with any color of pellets. Unlike, say, allies, or attachments, or actions, all of which have a sphere, and must be paid for with pellets from that sphere.

Hope that helps, and doesn't further confuse things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobDoctor wrote:
peakhope wrote:
dojogrant wrote:

Gandalf is an artifact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
United States
flag msg tools
badge
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely love Lord of The Rings: The Card Game. It's not necessary to get adventure packs (adding more heroes and more adventure scenarios to play) because everything you need is in the box. However what might happen is that you will find that you want to go on new adventures and then you will end up buying a pack just for a nice change. These packs come with multiple copies of cards and they too are all inclusive.

And if deck building is not your strong suit (not mine for sure) you can always visit http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/forum/19-lotr-lc... to get a deck list to build. If you don't have the cards just substitute something similar.

edit: grammar

P.S. not fond of TCGs. Wish I liked magic but the learning curve is super steep against seasoned players and the expense is WAY too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.