Recommend
19 
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Town prepares to open 100 year old mystery package rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is kind of cool. The Mayor of a Norwegian town brings in a big package and hands it over to the city. The city can open the package but has to wait 100 years. The package was wrapped in 1912. Tomorrow the package gets opened. What's in the package?

Good story with a video attached to it. The video is in Norwegian but with English subtitles. Just one of those cool historical mysteries except with this one we find out the answer tomorrow.

http://www.thelocal.no/page/view/town-holds-breath-over-100-...

I'm going to toss out a fanciful theory which will be completely wrong. The year the package was wrapped was 1912. The story builds up the connection between the year and the anniversary of the Battle of Kringen. However the second half of 1912 is also the time that Roald Amundsen returned from his famous trip to the south pole. Perhaps there is a connection between the mayor and one of Amundsen's men and the package contains the man's diary or other documents related to the polar expedition.

On the other hand it might be the mayor's dirty laundry.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope it is full of classified information concerning their national defenses. That would be some fascinating reading.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

No!!

Don't let out hope!!!
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
Avatar
mbmbmb
That's really cool. Hopefully it's something really cool.

As a side note, whenever I have to do any repairs in my house that require me to open a hole in a wall, I always write a note, stick it in a plastic ziplock bag, and seal it up in the wall.

Recently I had to take down some drywall, and found one of the bags. It was from 8 years ago. It had some stuff that my son and I wrote and the date.

I've also stuck a note and things in a coffee can, put the lid on it, and tossed it up into my attic. Since then I've reinsulated my attic. The can is now buried up there.

I would bet there are about 4 of these bags in my house. I also have one wall where I moved a door. On the dry wall where the door used to be, all the kids that were over playing signed the wall.
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tulsa unearthed a 50 year old Belvedere a few years back

http://www.unburiedcar.com/
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
11 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And here's an actual picture of the man dropping off the box oh so many years ago.



Mind you if it's something really really dumb inside the package we're likely to find this guy's grave violated come Saturday morning.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
badge
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Da Debil wrote:

Yeah, I had a picnic hamper do that after I accidentally left some gorgonzola in it over the summer.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
The Mayor of a Norwegian town brings in a big package and hands it over to the city. The city can open the package but has to wait 100 years.

Remembering that one for the next time I have to dispose of a body.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We moved into our house in 2007. The previous owners left all the paperwork and a welcome note. The note ended p.s. somewhere in the house is some hidden treasure, good luck finding it!
Well, we spent about 6 months looking all over the house. In the loft, under floor boards (we don't have carpet up stairs so that wasn't hard). Eventually we forgot about it.

Two years later,I am sat at work when my wife texts me: "I found it."

Turns out she had been cleaning in our under stairs cupboard. The cupboard, for some reason had a carpet. I don't even remember registering this carpet before. I guess when we moved in we just shoved stuff in the cupboard and didn't think about it. Under the carpet she had found a plastic plug in the concrete floor, about 5 inches across. Under the plug was a plastic baggie containing a small sum of money and a note saying "Congratulations, now go and buy a beer"

However under the baggie is a safe, a tiny circular safe. The key is in it. What's in the safe? Now our house was built in 1905, but this is certainly a later addition (no point having a secret safe if everyone has one).
So what's in it? No idea. The key is totally rusted in there, won't move. Won't even wriggle. I should probably get a lock Smith to look at it, but it's probably empty. Be nice to know though.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clandaith wrote:
That's really cool. Hopefully it's something really cool.

As a side note, whenever I have to do any repairs in my house that require me to open a hole in a wall, I always write a note, stick it in a plastic ziplock bag, and seal it up in the wall.

Recently I had to take down some drywall, and found one of the bags. It was from 8 years ago. It had some stuff that my son and I wrote and the date.

I've also stuck a note and things in a coffee can, put the lid on it, and tossed it up into my attic. Since then I've reinsulated my attic. The can is now buried up there.

I would bet there are about 4 of these bags in my house. I also have one wall where I moved a door. On the dry wall where the door used to be, all the kids that were over playing signed the wall.



When I tore apart my shower several years ago, I had it down to the studs. I wanted to do something like this, but made the mistake of mentioning it to my wife, who quickly said it was stupid and I shouldn't do it. Oh well. If I have to do something like that again. I'll be sure to put something in it. I think finding that sort of thing is interesting.

Just recently in Toronto, they were doing work on the Maple Leaf Gardens. The old Arena where the Leafs used to play prior to the ACC (Air Canada Centre) being built. The old Arena was renovated into a grocery store and condos (I believe). At any rate, they found a time capsual in a corner of the building (apparently a common practice back then) with various memorbilia from the time period.

My brother told me a story of a guy who bought a small townhouse (forget the city). At one point he went to renovate a room upstairs, and ripped down the old walls. Behind them he found a strange type of insulation...

Movie Posters.

Apparently the original owner worked as an Usher at the local movie theatre that was down the street (it had been long gone at this point). He had renovated the room and stuffed hundred of movie posters as insulation. They had to get a specialist in to extract the posters carefully, and document them. Several of the posters were one of a kind relics from the turn of the century.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
We moved into our house in 2007. The previous owners left all the paperwork and a welcome note. The note ended p.s. somewhere in the house is some hidden treasure, good luck finding it!
Well, we spent about 6 months looking all over the house. In the loft, under floor boards (we don't have carpet up stairs so that wasn't hard). Eventually we forgot about it.

Two years later,I am sat at work when my wife texts me: "I found it."

Turns out she had been cleaning in our under stairs cupboard. The cupboard, for some reason had a carpet. I don't even remember registering this carpet before. I guess when we moved in we just shoved stuff in the cupboard and didn't think about it. Under the carpet she had found a plastic plug in the concrete floor, about 5 inches across. Under the plug was a plastic baggie containing a small sum of money and a note saying "Congratulations, now go and buy a beer"

However under the baggie is a safe, a tiny circular safe. The key is in it. What's in the safe? Now our house was built in 1905, but this is certainly a later addition (no point having a secret safe if everyone has one).
So what's in it? No idea. The key is totally rusted in there, won't move. Won't even wriggle. I should probably get a lock Smith to look at it, but it's probably empty. Be nice to know though.


You should get Geraldo.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Tomorrow the package gets opened. What's in the package?


Anthrax. Those wacky Norwegians!
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm loving the other headlines, too.

Drunk Norwegian falls asleep on luggage belt
Woman nabbed with 42-inch TV under her skirt
Motorist hits bear after avoiding elk

This is my kind of news!

Edit: Another one:
Bears in beer-fuelled Norway cabin break in

It seems a mother and three cubs ripped a wall off a cabin to enter and consume all food, including 100 cans of beer.

13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
Quote:
Tomorrow the package gets opened. What's in the package?


Anthrax. Those wacky Norwegians!


No worries - the whole town are holding their breath...
8 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


"What's in the boxxxx!!! What's in the Boxxx!!"



And of course, Robyn Sparkles imitiating Pitt..



Let's see what's in the box?
NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
STUPID!! YOU'RE SO STUPID!!!



The gang on big bang theory open a box they bought at a garage sale.


It just goes to show that you never know what you'll find in a random box.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
You forgot one.

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
.... However the second half of 1912 is also the time that Roald Amundsen returned from his famous trip to the south pole. Perhaps there is a connection between the mayor and one of Amundsen's men and the package contains the man's diary or other documents related to the polar expedition.
...


what... no one is gonna connect this to a 12/21/12 theory?

OK I'll give it a go....they discovered something major of an alien origin that makes a distinct connection between the "gods" that our ancestors made up and people from another planet/time/dimension.

It turns out that DNA was actually manufactured by these "gods" and placed in primates and thus we evolved.

This causes an end to all "holly" wars, everyone appologizes and gets along...

close?

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:
.... However the second half of 1912 is also the time that Roald Amundsen returned from his famous trip to the south pole. Perhaps there is a connection between the mayor and one of Amundsen's men and the package contains the man's diary or other documents related to the polar expedition.
...


what... no one is gonna connect this to a 12/21/12 theory?

OK I'll give it a go....they discovered something major of an alien origin that makes a distinct connection between the "gods" that our ancestors made up and people from another planet/time/dimension.

It turns out that DNA was actually manufactured by these "gods" and placed in primates and thus we evolved.

This causes an end to all "holly" wars, everyone appologizes and gets along...

close?


Nah, it's the East Nile Virus.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet it's another box with a note telling them not to open it up for 100 years.
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparantly it contained "some old note books and stuff".

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisbarth/2012/08/24/norways-10...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
Apparantly it contained "some old note books and stuff".

That's what I'd tell them to say if I were actually the mummified head of John the Baptist and they opened my box.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
Apparantly it contained "some old note books and stuff".

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisbarth/2012/08/24/norways-10...


HAHA.. SO what was in this package wrapped in 1912...Some newspapers from 1914.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot another

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Greendan wrote:
Apparantly it contained "some old note books and stuff".

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisbarth/2012/08/24/norways-10...


HAHA.. SO what was in this package wrapped in 1912...Some newspapers from 1914.



You mean they were able to predict the future!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.