Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

FYI, we're busy working on not one but TWO new editions of ZULUS ON THE RAMPARTS. The first is a app game version (initial release for the iPad, but we'll get to the other app game platforms) and it's looking pretty spiffy already. Stephanie Newland is leading the programming, and we're applying a lot of lessons learned from our resent LEVEE EN MASSE app game.

The second version is a new Gold Banner second edition of the game, which I am developing. It will have 50 full-size cards and include the expansion kit (plus some new material), plus our uber-thick laser-cut counters. I'm experimenting with the counters right now making many of them "standees," and we'll be playtesting with those new pieces over Labor Day weekend and making sure the ergonomics work.

Both games will feature new illustrations by Clark Miller, and the boardgame will have a new map from Tim Allen. You should have these games in time for your holiday spear-it, you can bet your assegai.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This Memorial Day weekend, do not thank a veteran. Say a prayer of thanks for those in our military who gave their last full measure of devotion, and all their tomorrows, so that we could enjoy today and all OUR tomorrows.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Damn you, Chard! Damn all you butchers" ... for making me want to buy another Zulu game! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My next "must buy!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"They're taunting us!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Fantastic news - I will definitely be ordering this !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raimund Bubelis
Canada
Welland
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new Gold Banner edition will include 50 cards, but the original with expansion includes 44 cards. How much will change from the original with these additional cards and will there be an opportunity to purchase new/additional cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, here's a tease for you. In this picture you can see the alpha of the proposed 50-card deck. These are full-size cards this time, and very nice in quality.

The pictures in the top-left corners are placeholders, there to inspire our illustrator, Clark Miller, when he gets to doing original artwork.

You'll see a lot less information from the film, ZULU, and a lot more history on the card bottoms this time. Also, there are some new Heroes in the mix, including DICK, Surgeon Reynold's fox terrier who was specifically mentioned for bravery in his citation and written about by several of the troops defending Rorke's Drift.

Also, in the top-left corner, you can see one of the iButhos as a "standee" with its Hit markers staked below it (adding an ominous height to this threatening force).

I'll be seeing the designer, Joe Miranda, this weekend at a game convention and we plan to "push the pieces around" and test drive this new version. Hopefully, it will inspire more cool ideas for the new edition.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Antonio Rivero
Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria- Canary Islands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
upstanding figures? Bravo !!!

new illustrations? Brilliant!!

more historical data? Great !!!

more heroes? Sensational !!!

more fun? Absolutely !!!

Cool stuff, to the wish list!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raimund Bubelis
Canada
Welland
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your very quick reply.

Alan Emrich wrote:

You'll see a lot less information from the film, ZULU, and a lot more history on the card bottoms this time. Also, there are some new Heroes in the mix, including DICK, Surgeon Reynold's fox terrier who was specifically mentioned for bravery in his citation and written about by several of the troops defending Rorke's Drift.

Wikipedia wrote:
Surgeon Reynolds also had by his side the whole time during the battle his fox terrier named Dick. Dick never wavered as shots and spears continued falling around them. He only left his side once to bite a Zulu who came too close. Dick was specially mentioned in the citation for "his constant attention to the wounded under the fire where they fell."

Will the new version be available for preorder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

We don't require advanced money from our customers through preorders. We have no printer bills to pay the Chinese, as we manufacture and assemble our games right here at VPG. So, we just release the game when it's ready.

I expect both the new board and app games should be available by the holidays. We won't keep their release a secret, you can be sure of that!

Here:

This is what the iButho Standees look like, standing on the old map. Tim Allen will be redoing the map for the new edition, of course.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raimund Bubelis
Canada
Welland
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the info.
I will patiently wait for the new release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
It looks really good but there's only one problem...these nice new Gold Banner editions are making me not want to buy your games until the improved versions come out! I already own Zulus and now I have to buy it again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
We have no printer bills to pay the Chinese, as we manufacture and assemble our games right here at VPG.

Thank goodness Alan, because all that non-quality controlled glucose, the toxic levels of pet-killing melamine and the falsely advertised lead paint would wreak havoc on things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
" It looks really good but there's only one problem...these nice new Gold Banner editions are making me not want to buy your games until the improved versions come out! I already own Zulus and now I have to buy it again!"

Sorry about that. The old editions are still perfectly fine games...

"Thank goodness Alan, because all that non-quality controlled glucose, the toxic levels of pet-killing melamine and the falsely advertised lead paint would wreak havoc on things."

Ewwww! Really? I'm pretty sure we don't have any of that stuff in our games. My pet is here at the office today, Cookie (half-beagle half-chihuahua), and she seems just fine hanging out in the production room and getting all kinds of wonderful attention.

Alan Emrich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
raimundb wrote:
The new Gold Banner edition will include 50 cards, but the original with expansion includes 44 cards. How much will change from the original with these additional cards and will there be an opportunity to purchase new/additional cards?

Good question - will owners of the "old" edition be able to purchase the extra 6 cards separately (in the same "old" format and size), or is that not feasible (cost or re-design wise)?

Anyway, congratulations to designer Joe Miranda and VPG in giving their best selling game of all-time the Deluxe treatment; well-deserved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Good question - will owners of the "old" edition be able to purchase the extra 6 cards separately (in the same "old" format and size), or is that not feasible (cost or re-design wise)?

I think the 6 new cards are 2 Privates, 1 Dog, and 3 Volleys (it might be 3 Privates and 2 Volleys, I forget). Nothing "super-powered" or "new" in there that you've got to have, just more great flavor.

It's not feasible to make just six cards for the old game in the old way. The old game and its expansion will be discontinued.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes perfect sense, thnx Alan - just checking as others probably had the same question as well.

Besides, the Deluxe edition sounds (and will look) to cool to resist anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stokes
United States
Seal Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:

FYI, we're busy working on not one but TWO new editions of ZULUS ON THE RAMPARTS. The first is a app game version (initial release for the iPad, but we'll get to the other app game platforms)
Alan Emrich

Will that include the Kindle Fire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

We haven't been supporting the Kindle Fire. I'm not saying that we won't in the future, but it's not on our radar right now.

Alan Emrich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esko Heimonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does this effort on a Gold Banner edition in any way suggest that GMT's reimplemented States of Siege series will not include ZotR ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The GMT game was never planned to include ZULUS.

Alan Emrich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esko Heimonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
The GMT game was never planned to include ZULUS.

I assume this applies to the entire GMT series, and not just to SoS #1: Revolt and Revolution (whose scenarios have been fixed a good while ago, of course).

Well, then I'm certainly waiting for this edition. I always wanted to start my SoS career with ZULUS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Heath
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan do you have a photo of Cookie, I'm curious as to what a half beagle half chihahua looks like.

Great news about the new editions to Zulus too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

You know... I have no pictures of Cookie! I mean, I see her every morning when we take our walk (before sun up), and when I get home at night (circa 9PM), but I have no picture to share...

ZULUS is coming along. I played the new board game with designer Joe Miranda last weekend, and it held up well. Now game analyst and programmer for the app game, Stephanie Newland, is shaking down the new version. After that, we'll be sending out playtest kits to interested parties (probably by mid-September).

The app game is looking good, too, but this is the part of the schedule where it starts to all come together before QA testing.

Alan Emrich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Alot
msg tools
Great news about the iPad version BUT
please make sure that you include the
OTIONAL rules for both the Basic game AND
the EXPANSION in the iPad version.
There are a lot of optional rules in ZULUS
and their omission in any iOS port will only
make it look like a pale shadow of the game's
physical version!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.