Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
If this is already posted, a point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Basically I need a layman's understanding of what is required for:

A card game (no bits, just cards, and a rule page in a box)

1.) Barcode requirements.
2.) Safety Testing.

Thanks in advance for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason, I would highly recommend that you use GS1 for barcodes. The initial expense is large, but if I recall correctly, you can buy 100 for a total expenditure of about $700. There is then a $25 yearly renewal to stay a GS1 member. They are very helpful, have online clinics/classes, and are very quick to respond. To me, that beats the hell out of paying $50+ for one barcode from some online company (who may be scamming you), and not having the support. Your mileage may vary of course.

I was told that safety testing for product coming into the country isn't mandatory...but that if customs or whoever says it has to be done, then you have to do it. In talking with one game printer in particular, they said they very rarely have had that happen with clients. It might be a good idea anyway, but a 13+ age designation and the typical "harmful to children under 3" should get you by. I'd still carry insurance though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Wishing Tree Games wrote:
Jason, I would highly recommend that you use GS1 for barcodes. The initial expense is large, but if I recall correctly, you can buy 100 for a total expenditure of about $700. There is then a $25 yearly renewal to stay a GS1 member. They are very helpful, have online clinics/classes, and are very quick to respond. To me, that beats the hell out of paying $50+ for one barcode from some online company (who may be scamming you), and not having the support. Your mileage may vary of course.

So, I need one barcode per game design, and I'd have 99 left over for other projects, is that what you're saying?

Makes more sense to pay the $50 for one, if the company could be verified legitimate, but you don't feel that would be the case?

I was told that safety testing for product coming into the country isn't mandatory...but that if customs or whoever says it has to be done, then you have to do it. In talking with one game printer in particular, they said they very rarely have had that happen with clients. It might be a good idea anyway, but a 13+ age designation and the typical "harmful to children under 3" should get you by. I'd still carry insurance though.

Can you elaborate a bit on the insurance? Are there companies that offer product safety insurance, sort of like a rider?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

You'd need one barcode for a game design, yes. I didn't create a case-pack barcode for Seven Sisters, but you might have to have a second one for that, and a third for a pallet code...those are things you should speak directly to the printer and maybe a GS1 representative about though. Here's a link for you to check out:
http://www.gs1us.org/get-started/i-need-a-barcode

You'll probably also want to read this, about a company prefix: http://www.gs1us.org/get-started/i-need-a-gs1-company-prefix

If you use GS1, you'll also need to know how to create your barcodes using their data driver: http://www.gs1us.org/resources/tools/data-driver. They actually offered an online class that I sat through just to clarify things more when we first started out.

GS1 has a wealth of information on their site, so just browse around and you probably can get a lot of questions answered.

For me, it only makes sense to pay $50 for one if you only need one, or a few. Get above a dozen or so though, and you haven't saved any money in comparison to using a reliable source rather than a random "get a bar code" website. I'd be interested to hear from others that have gone that route though...results, complaints, praise, whatever.

I'm not sure of product safety insurance, but general liability seems like a smart move. Just because you (and by you I mean any publisher,) put an age recommendation and an "objects are small and may be swallowed" warning on your box, that doesn't mean that you can't be sued if something happens. Better to protect yourself some if you can. Of course, others may know more about it or better than me, so if someone else that reads this has suggestions, I'm all ears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Des
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I have been using http://officialupccodes.com for a very long time for Amazon, Rakuten and Sears and I haven't had any problems and fast service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tru80 wrote:
I have been using http://officialupccodes.com for a very long time for Amazon, Rakuten and Sears and I haven't had any problems and fast service.

That's a great site. And they explain a lot of stuff about barcodes and UPC ... so it is also very informative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.