Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sooo, looking for opinions on showing House cards all the time versus maybe keeping them secret, aside from what has already been played. I don't play this very often, and am often teaching it when I do. Something about keeping everything secret seems more "fair" and speeds up things when battle actually happens, but I don't ordinarily house-rule things and wonder what the thinking is on seeing every House card all the time is? I think it feels thematically wrong, and it bogs down decision making, in my experience so far.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Neill
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We allow looking in hands. I guess you know what leader is in the battle when you go into a fight. So we play it the way we do for that reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excuse me but surely you can't allow looking at hands after house card for battle is selected! Then you get farcical situation of each wanting the other to select house card first, look at other's remaining cards then select their own, etc.

Rules (+FAQ) are clear:
House cards are available at all times EXCEPT during combat.
Discarded house cards are available to view at all times (including combat).
So you can know what cards your opponent has available, but not which one they actually chose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer42_au wrote:

Not entire combat. Just for a moment (really a moment) when players are choosing cards to revealing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radziol wrote:
gamer42_au wrote:

Not entire combat. Just for a moment (really a moment) when players are choosing cards to revealing them.
The rules say not available when players are choosing House cards. In practice, not available to be viewed from the moment when the player picks them up to select their house card until after combat cards are revealed for that combat.
Rules
page 19
"Note: All House cards, whether available or used (i.e.,
discarded), are public knowledge. As such, a player’s discard pile
or hand may be examined by others players at any time except
during Step 3 of combat."
page 27:
"The contents of a player’s House card discard pile and his hand of
House cards is open information except when players are choosing
House cards during Step 3 of combat."
Errata and FAQ version 1.0:
"Hidden information of discarded House cards: All
players’ discarded House cards are always considered
open information. A player’s House card discard pile
can always be reviewed by any other player at any
time, including during all steps of combat."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer42_au wrote:
Radziol wrote:
gamer42_au wrote:

The rules say not available when players are choosing House cards. In practice, not available to be viewed from the moment when the player picks them up to select their house card until after combat cards are revealed for that combat.
Rules
page 19
"Note: All House cards, whether available or used (i.e.,
discarded), are public knowledge. As such, a player’s discard pile
or hand may be examined by others players at any time except
during Step 3 of combat."
page 27:
"The contents of a player’s House card discard pile and his hand of
House cards is open information except when players are choosing
House cards during Step 3 of combat."
Errata and FAQ version 1.0:
"Hidden information of discarded House cards: All
players’ discarded House cards are always considered
open information. A player’s House card discard pile
can always be reviewed by any other player at any
time, including during all steps of combat."

Uhm...
That's whatI said
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the only reason to look at the housecards is to figure out what they can do and which are still available I use the summaries from the Geek and hand them to the players. This way they can still have all the information and the other player can already pick his card out.

Since the discard pile remains open anyway, it is pretty easy and fast to handle it this way.

Cheers,
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diederik Dol
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought of an extra rule just the other day. Never tried it though, so don't blame me if it doesn't work out

The player holding King's landing is the only one who may look at all the house cards still in the hands of the players. The discard pile is open for every one.

This way the character Varys gets a role in the game since he knows everything in the books and the series. He supports the house who owns King's Landing.
The discard pile is open for everyone because word of a battle fought will reach all the houses.
The fact that Greyjoy and maybe Stark find it hard to gain King's Landing is actually pretty accurate to the series I think (though i'm only in book three)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UzumakiDJ wrote:
I thought of an extra rule just the other day. Never tried it though, so don't blame me if it doesn't work out

The player holding King's landing is the only one who may look at all the house cards still in the hands of the players. The discard pile is open for every one.

This way the character Varys gets a role in the game since he knows everything in the books and the series. He supports the house who owns King's Landing.
The discard pile is open for everyone because word of a battle fought will reach all the houses.
The fact that Greyjoy and maybe Stark find it hard to gain King's Landing is actually pretty accurate to the series I think (though i'm only in book three)

WTF? surprise
The only effect I can imagine is elongation of the game and real disadvantage for new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisdk wrote:
Since the only reason to look at the housecards is to figure out what they can do and which are still available I use the summaries from the Geek and hand them to the players. This way they can still have all the information and the other player can already pick his card out.

Since the discard pile remains open anyway, it is pretty easy and fast to handle it this way.

Cheers,
Chris
I think this is sensible. YOu need to make sure the summary used is accurate though.
IMO the game is not meant to be about memorising abilities or other elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UzumakiDJ wrote:

The game makes an effort to prevent any "I know this game inside out" and "memory players win more" effects.
Why would you want to reintroduce these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diederik Dol
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're all right in the sense that it limits playability for new players. I thought of this rule because i'm playing this game with a set group of friends who know the rules (and, more importantly, the housecards) by heart. So then a twist in the rules from time to time is not such a bad thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheza Moonmaiden
Germany
flag msg tools
UzumakiDJ wrote:
You're all right in the sense that it limits playability for new players. I thought of this rule because i'm playing this game with a set group of friends who know the rules (and, more importantly, the housecards) by heart. So then a twist in the rules from time to time is not such a bad thing.
If all of you know the cards, there is no use in hiding this information. If I remember what Tywin does, there is no benefit in whether or not I look at the card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.