Subject: Console Rally rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Bane
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mb
Not much of a console gamer, but I do own an xbox that my kids have outgrown. I saw a cheap copy of Sega Revo Rally at my local game store and picked it up.

Now, it's not technically a "Rally" game IMHO because it has six cars on the track at a time, but it is a blast. To that end, is there any good true console (xbox) rally games out there? I asked the store guy and he said the "Dirt" series. I looked at that, but not sure it is what I am shooting for; has trucks, buggies, etc.

(This may be out of scope of these forums and hope it is permitted. If not, no hard feelings should it need to be deleted/locked)

Rally!
The Bane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second the suggestion for the DiRT series. I don't remember which one they're on now, but Codemasters makes the best rally console video games.

The basic breakdown is that you have different rally disciplines. Most of them are fun, and you really don't have to spend too much time with each one. I focused on the "true" rally events (I'm looking at you, Rallycross), obviously, but didn't mind having to dabble in some of the other ones.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Fowler
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will add a 3rd vote for DiRT. My only complaint about DiRT is that the version I have does not have a split-screen multiplayer mode. Other than that, it is one of the best rally series I have ever played.

Todd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Christophe Bouvier
France
Saint-Didier en Velay
Auvergne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Richard Burns rally, problably the best one on PC, with a stearing wheel (Logitech). A perfect simulatiojn, very hard to avoid loss of contral when you start to play !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNyeQK_aCgk
[url]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6usg99ioBE&feature=fvwrel[/url]

or crash compilation ! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5peLBQ_kV9Y&feature=related
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the motion for having a wheel if doing this on the PC. I suppose a gamepad might work as well. If you don't have a high-end PC you could see if you could find a copy of Mobile 1 Rally Championship. When I used to game on my PC, it was my favorite rally game.

edit - if I remember, I'll see if I can get this to install on my laptop and how well it works with a 360 controller (don't have a wheel anymore).

I did get this to install and run on my Windows 7 64 Bit laptop. I had audio issues when trying to use my 360 controller. Audio was fine with just keyboard. However, playing w/o a wheel sucked. I wonder if my Logictec Wheel for my PS2 would work. Now where did I put that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuseppe Sergio Raccampo
Italy
PALERMO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcbouvier wrote:
Try Richard Burns rally, problably the best one on PC, with a stearing wheel (Logitech).

Thanks for the hint. I have a very good pc with a logitech dfgt, but I usually play rFactor.
I will sure try richard burns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hornberger
United States
lockport
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Richard Burns Rally is by far the best sim rally game I have played (I have the PC version). JCB himself loves to play some RBR from time to time! There is also an (original) XBOX console version of it. Also Rallisport challenge 2 is amazing on the original xbox but it is more arcade than sim. The course design and graphics still amaze me, unfortunately its not backwards compatible with the 360 so I keep an old xbox hooked up just for that game!

Edit didn't see JCB comment above LOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bane
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mb
I don't think my PCs will run a video game

But I did do a search for the Richard Burns Rally XBOX game. Could not find it for sale anywhere. cry

I probably shouldn't invest in any more any way, I can't get out of the "Rookie" races of the game I got and it is aggravating me! You have to have 60pts over three, three race stages, to advance... I just don't have the eye/hand coordination for it! I can't even do well enough to open new cars up... blush

Off to see if I can get some Rallyman Stages done!
Best,
The Bane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hornberger
United States
lockport
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I found out that RBR was also on the PS2 if that helps. It still is best on PC with a wheel however. It has a low PC requirements, I can run it full speed on my 3 year old mac mini via bootcamp and windows xp.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bane
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mb
Still playing Sega Revo Rally! I did go out and bought Dirt3 Complete for Xbox360... a tad over my gaming ability (read eye/hand coordination) It lets you customize your ability level, but there seems to be a large jump from what they consider Novice and the next level... I have been watching for RBR for xbox but haven't seen one for sale yet. I have read that Xbox360 will play it. I also checked on the PC requirements and think I might be able to run it on my laptop, I just don't want to have to buy a wheel/peddles for it.

Thanks all for the advice,

The Bane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.