Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Walmart carrying Catan and Axis and Allies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I should be happy more customers are being exposed to better gmaes. though I dislike Catan. But I cannot help but be concerned what Walmart could do to the hobby. I do realize it is a slightly inferior version of Catan (Gallery edition), but Mayfair making a cheaper version is already conceding quality.

But on the back of the gallery edition of Catan, Mayfair makes quite a ridiculous claim; "Welcome to the greatest game ever published."

LLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.................NOT
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
No one smart enough to be able to play Catan would be shopping at Wal-Mart.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
No one smart enough to be able to play Catan would be shopping at Wal-Mart.



I dont like Walmart, but our income dictates we have to shop there from time to time. It has nothing ot do with intelligence. But just so you know, I am smart enough to NOT play Catan.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:
No one smart enough to be able to play Catan would be shopping at Wal-Mart.



I dont like Walmart, but our income dictates we have to shop there from time to time. It has nothing ot do with intelligence. But just so you know, I am smart enough to NOT play Catan.


So, the 407 BGG users who have recorded plays (and, no doubt, the 100's who don't record plays) this month are not smart?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
weezknight wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:
No one smart enough to be able to play Catan would be shopping at Wal-Mart.



I dont like Walmart, but our income dictates we have to shop there from time to time. It has nothing ot do with intelligence. But just so you know, I am smart enough to NOT play Catan.


So, the 407 BGG users who have recorded plays (and, no doubt, the 100's who don't record plays) this month are not smart?



Everyone has a weakness or two. (Just remember, it wasn't me who thought this discussion thread was a good place to discuss people's intelligence.)

And if you want a reason why I cannot stand Catan, her you go: I think a game should be designed to give a player something to do when it is their turn. Catan, over and over and over, offers a player NOTHING to do on their turn if their numbers are not coming up. If your numbers are not coming up, you basically roll and sit there. And it is even worse on other player's turns when they open a trade and you have to sit even longer, since you have nothing to trade. And this can happen even if you are surrounded by 6's and 8's. I'm sorry, but turn after turn of nothing is simply not a design for a good game. There are plenty of games that are dice based that offer players SOMETHING to do regardless of their dice roll.

And Mayfair cannot claim the label of "greatest game ever published" is because of the influence of the game and its impact on the boardgaming hobby. My opinion of Monopoly and Risk aren't that high either, but both of those have had FAR more impact on board gaming than Catan. And to be realistic, the games BGGer's play are going to have to be around for a few centuries to displace Chess, Go, Shogi, Xianqi, and others, to be considered the "greatest".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
weezknight wrote:
So, the 407 BGG users who have recorded plays (and, no doubt, the 100's who don't record plays) this month are not smart?


I wasn't impressed with it after seeing it on Tabletop. I played it this month so I could finally see what it was actually like. I gave it a 6.5 with no room to really improve.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
"Welcome to the greatest game ever published."


well, it is one of the most successfull games...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Originaldibbler wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
"Welcome to the greatest game ever published."


well, it is one of the most successfull games...



And it is shocking how many people enjoy games with long stretches of nothing. I just can't bring myslef to join that crowd.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Originaldibbler wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
"Welcome to the greatest game ever published."


well, it is one of the most successfull games...


So is Monopoly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On the quality of Catan - Which would you rather play at the in-laws... Monopoly or Catan?

On the worthiness of WalMart - Sometimes you find yourself in WalMart. Why? Because sometimes you gotta buy a tire and milk at 10:45pm, and the local Auto Bits and Dairy closed at 9.

Some third thing.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What does it matter WHERE the game is carried?

I miss the old days when I could walk into a Toys R Us and pick up a copy of an Avalon Hill game, or Kay-B-Toys and find discounted copies of old SPI games.

I would think having these games available at a local Walmart/Target/Whatever would make accessibility easier, right? We do want more people to play these games, don't we?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
essayons7 wrote:
What does it matter WHERE the game is carried?

I miss the old days when I could walk into a Toys R Us and pick up a copy of an Avalon Hill game, or Kay-B-Toys and find discounted copies of old SPI games.

I would think having these games available at a local Walmart/Target/Whatever would make accessibility easier, right? We do want more people to play these games, don't we?


To me it matters a bit where the item is carried. Walmart, I've heard, can be dominant and unfair to the smaller companies that sign on board. I've heard that Walmart even likes to control how much of your inventory is sent where. Smaller companies that sell through Walmart can be forced to implement cost cutting measures that effect the quality of their product. Not to mention, Walmart is known for not giving a rat's ass about their employees or the other businesses in the area. There are other stores that, to me, aren't as evil and actually care a bit about quality.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough....

I can't speak of Walmart's business practices; I was only thinking on the level of availability of the games.

Thanks for letting me in on why there is concern!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
essayons7 wrote:
Fair enough....

I can't speak of Walmart's business practices; I was only thinking on the level of availability of the games.

Thanks for letting me in on why there is concern!



Ive heard Walmart even goes so far as to put a patch on a supplier's software that allows Walmart to keep tabs on real time inventory. If that is indeed true, I feel sick that I ever surrender any of my money to Walmart. Walmart would never push around a company like Mattel or Hasbro, but I'm sure they would have no problem holding a gun to the head of a company the size of Mayfair.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
On the quality of Catan - Which would you rather play at the in-laws... Monopoly or Catan?

On the worthiness of WalMart - Sometimes you find yourself in WalMart. Why? Because sometimes you gotta buy a tire and milk at 10:45pm, and the local Auto Bits and Dairy closed at 9.

Some third thing.


If only between the two, Catan. Thankfully I own neither and have other games I would rather play that I feel are even better.

I bought my poker chips at Walmart due to how close they were and price. I also go there looking for plano boxes due to being the closest place that would have them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
To me it matters a bit where the item is carried. Walmart, I've heard, can be dominant and unfair to the smaller companies that sign on board. I've heard that Walmart even likes to control how much of your inventory is sent where. Smaller companies that sell through Walmart can be forced to implement cost cutting measures that effect the quality of their product. Not to mention, Walmart is known for not giving a rat's ass about their employees or the other businesses in the area. There are other stores that, to me, aren't as evil and actually care a bit about quality.


Yes I have heard those things too, but that is only if Mayfair wants Walmart more than Walmart wants Mayfair's games.

Considering how successful Catan has been without Walmart, I don't think Walmart will be able to force Mayfair to change their production quality since they already are being carried in ToysRus and Target stores.

As for Walmart carrying the galery edition, well that was released some 4 years ago...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverbuy wrote:
is this thread really happening?

oh god i think it is.



The great thing about this site is that there are other threads you can visit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Ive heard Walmart even goes so far as to put a patch on a supplier's software that allows Walmart to keep tabs on real time inventory. If that is indeed true, I feel sick that I ever surrender any of my money to Walmart. Walmart would never push around a company like Mattel or Hasbro, but I'm sure they would have no problem holding a gun to the head of a company the size of Mayfair.


I don't see why this is a bad thing. Care to enlighten me?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
No one smart enough to be able to play Catan would be shopping at Wal-Mart.


Or, no one smart enough to study economics would be so illogically anti-Walmart?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteRider27 wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
Ive heard Walmart even goes so far as to put a patch on a supplier's software that allows Walmart to keep tabs on real time inventory. If that is indeed true, I feel sick that I ever surrender any of my money to Walmart. Walmart would never push around a company like Mattel or Hasbro, but I'm sure they would have no problem holding a gun to the head of a company the size of Mayfair.


I don't see why this is a bad thing. Care to enlighten me?



Would you want Walmart dictating to you how much inventory goes where? As long as you fulfill your contract with them, it should be none of their business how you allocate your stock.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
WhiteRider27 wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
Ive heard Walmart even goes so far as to put a patch on a supplier's software that allows Walmart to keep tabs on real time inventory. If that is indeed true, I feel sick that I ever surrender any of my money to Walmart. Walmart would never push around a company like Mattel or Hasbro, but I'm sure they would have no problem holding a gun to the head of a company the size of Mayfair.


I don't see why this is a bad thing. Care to enlighten me?



Would you want Walmart dictating to you how much inventory goes where? As long as you fulfill your contract with them, it should be none of their business how you allocate your stock.


I'm assuming that this would be them dictating to you where and how much of your inventory goes to their stores, correct? I would need a little more information to better understand the situation...

...but...

Why should it matter if I agreed to it in the contract?

If they include it in the contract, I have a a right to say 'I'm not comfortable with that to the point where I no longer want to do business with you' or, 'Regardless of my level of comfort, I will deal with that in order to do business with you.'

It's entirely my choice, as long as there is no coercion involved.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
By the way David, I admit to creeping around on your profile. How do you like 'The Castles of Burgundy'? I was toying with the idea of picking it up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteRider27 wrote:
By the way David, I admit to creeping around on your profile. How do you like 'The Castles of Burgundy'? I was toying with the idea of picking it up.


The first time I played it, it was a bit meh. But after about three plays I really like it. Great for 2 player and it is the most strategic game that my wife will request to play. Ive grown to really like dice games in which you have many choices as to what to do with the dice, especially when a 1 can be equally as good as a 6, which is the case with CoB.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
WhiteRider27 wrote:
By the way David, I admit to creeping around on your profile. How do you like 'The Castles of Burgundy'? I was toying with the idea of picking it up.


The first time I played it, it was a bit meh. But after about three plays I really like it. Great for 2 player and it is the most strategic game that my wife will request to play. Ive grown to really like dice games in which you have many choices as to what to do with the dice, especially when a 1 can be equally as good as a 6, which is the case with CoB.


Nifty! I was considering it while on my quest for more/some dice games, and since my sisters tend to gravitate more towards builder-euros/euros I thought it would be great to round out that category a bit.

One of them is starting her freshman year at the University where I'm employed so we're both anticipating many a game night. Anyway, that's a rather long-winded way to say that a great two-player option is likely to hit the table often.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.