Popular Tags: [View All]
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interesting in getting this game, but one of the concerns that I have from the reviews I've watched & read is that the game is a bit heavy in the luck department.

I have Troyes & Alien Frontiers & a friend has Castles of Burgundy. Whilst each of these games is a dice rolling game, they have ways to manipulate the values of the rolled dice. So, there is still some element of luck, but there is also the ability to have some control of your destiny.

Does Dungeon Run have any similar mechanics?
I think it was Ryan Metzler who said that the monsters weren't that difficult to beat. Would being able to manipualte the values of dice give players too much control?

I'd be interested in what people thought about the luck element of the game.

I don't have a dungeon crawler in my collection & I'm trying to get games of types that I don't already have. Should Dungeon Run be it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On dice & luck: While any die roll has an element of luck, I think that Dungeon Run does a good job of allowing you to control your destiny. For each combat, you get to pick between Magic and Brawn for your attack and roll that many dice. When you level up (which I find happens more with Dungeon Run--2 or 3 times per game--than with the other crawlers) you can add a die to one of your stats. More dice means a better chance to hit/block. I like that better than the single die roll with a modifier. But, as was pointed out, it also make it easier to beat monsters.

Part of your decision on which game to get will be how heavy or light you want your dungeon crawler to be. Personally, I prefer Dungeon Run because it's a much lighter game. We can play 3 games in a night, whereas the D&D games or something like Descent, often take the entire night (and then some).

But, then again, Dungeon Run isn't as much about beating the monsters as it is about beating on your friends during end game. The monsters are really just a way to gain levels so you have a better chance once end game starts. With this game's format, I wouldn't want the monsters to be too much of a threat or else it would just be a source of frustration before the boss is found.

Build your characters, kill the boss, stab your buddies. Sort of like a cross between Munchkin and D&D (from the standpoint the game's attitude, not mechanics).

If you like a light-hearted, competitive, quick game, then Dungeon Run might fit the bill. If your group is more serious and wants to quest together with various scenarios/goals, then go for D&D or Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.