Forbidden Island» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Just for fun - a review of forbidden Isalnd rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Nimmo
South Africa
flag msg tools
My first review!

I have been eying this game for a while. The co-op nature of it seemed a good way to get into gaming with my girls.(6 and 9)

So we openned the box and started playing.
The pieces are very nicely done. the nine year old thinks the grey one is definately a brain!

It takes about two turns each before they both a getting it. The actions really are straight forward.

It takes about two more turns before the 9 year old is comming up with variants (future design star!)

Yet, for me the game had not grabbed me yet. I just felt that i was flipping tiles and waiting for cards. I was not caught up in the theme.
I started a running commentary to try and evoke the plight of adventurers on a sinking island to the girls.

We picked up our first treasure easily and we were coping very well shoring up the sinking tiles - the out of the way ones we ignored.

Treasure two took a little bit of planning and guiding.But relly no sweat! just flipping tiles and figuring out a route - just to be safe.

Treasure three was way off to the side but a quick flip in the helicopter got us there and back no problem. Our toes had gotten a little wet and fools landing was developing a sinking habit - but a little card swopping and we were off after threasure four.

It was getting dangerous now. The waves were breaking all around us. the spray was getting in our eyes and the saltwater was stinging. I left the little one behind to shore up fools landing - no point exposing her to this much danger.

It was only just in the nick of time that we made it to the treasure. they way back was falling away before out feet. I had to swim for my life when the ground sank beneath my feet. We could see fools landing was sinking and we needed a helicopter card. HElP!!I remebered the quote "I am not waving - I am drowning!"

When I thought all was lost, by a stroke of fortune - the six year old got the helicopter off the ground. WE were safe - We had done it!! As I looked out the window of the helicopter as we roze above the punding waves I flipped on more card and fools landing disappeared beneath the foam.

I was breathless, my pulse was racing. WE HAD MADE IT! HIGH FIVES ALL AROUND!

I am not sure when I will risk taking my daughters back to the forbidden island. It may just be too dangerous.

But what the heck. Lets go back this weekend - JUST FOR FUN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Not sure I'd really call it a review, but I loved it anyhow! You really captured that feeling of communal stress when co-op games get tight and you are all playing together; had the same experience with Pandemic a couple of days ago - really tight and, pulses racing, we had to resort to prayer on a 50:50 chance and... WON!

It's what gaming with mates/family is all about!

Susie_Cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a session report, not a review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nimmo
South Africa
flag msg tools
shake Thanks! I will know in future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muddy Boots
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for posting, David. I enjoyed reading about your session. We have a great time playing this game too; it's a great one for the family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam L
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this - great approach. just ordered F.I. for our family today! Can't wait. Also, ordered artcow variant cards - for when we "graduate" beyond basic game.

Wish more reviews were like this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.