Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Dominant Species» Forums » General

Subject: anyone plan on buying the 3rd edition even though you have the 1st ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just curious if anyone has or plans on buying the 3rd edition even thoguh you have the 1st eddition ? i was like tom vassel - quite happy with the old eddition until i saw the new..would love it but at £53 im not sure...though i did buy the p.rico anniversary set sooo..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Love the first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Krach
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, one is enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I really love the 1st printing, I also bought the 3rd printing upgrade kit (board, cards, tiles, tundras, elements, animal mats, rulebook) and I'm very glad I did. Now I can be fairly sure that the game will not get worn out in my lifetime because, you see, it's my favourite one! Not to mention that the P500 price was $30 plus 16-ish for shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the second edition.

I passed on the upgrade - thought the art made it too distracting. I enjoy the muted layouts of the first two editions. The plays the thing.

I know thats blasphemy for those eye-candy spoiled euro-brats, but it is what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the 1st edition and bought the thicker 2nd edition tiles. Though the 3rd edition looks nice, I still prefer the muted colors of the earlier editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the new artwork is pretty (I have the card game) but I really like the look of the 1st/2nd editions so I've no interest in buying a new one. I don't consider it an upgrade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the new art work works great for a simple card game like DS:TCG. It's too distracting for a wargame like DS, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
...for a wargame like DS...

laugh +1!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2Ed. The only thing I wish I had from the new edition is the printed VPs on each tile. I like the original artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Temple
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, I'm happy with my 1st edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
vidra wrote:
Although I really love the 1st printing, I also bought the 3rd printing upgrade kit (board, cards, tiles, tundras, elements, animal mats, rulebook) and I'm very glad I did. Now I can be fairly sure that the game will not get worn out in my lifetime because, you see, it's my favourite one! Not to mention that the P500 price was $30 plus 16-ish for shipping.

You could've purchased the entire game for that price...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
Yes, the new art work works great for a simple card game like DS:TCG. It's too distracting for a wargame like DS, however.

LOL distracting?

You haven't played ASL...

Not really sure it's a Wargame, you don't have to destroy "enemy" units to win, just outcompete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLChampion wrote:
vidra wrote:

You could've purchased the entire game for that price...

Where?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLChampion wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:

LOL distracting?

Wrong. I have. To wit: My ASL review
ASLChampion wrote:

Not really sure it's a Wargame, you don't have to destroy "enemy" units to win, just outcompete.

Sure plays like a wargame. The play is the thing. I think I said that already.

In any event, to each his own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
ASLChampion wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:

LOL distracting?

Wrong. I have. To wit: My ASL review
ASLChampion wrote:

Sure plays like a wargame. The play is the thing. I think I said that already.

In any event, to each his own.

I agree with you on the Wargame thing but I've been slapped down for saying that. Play it like a Euro and you lose

Anyway I'm happy with my copy but if I had the Third Edition I know I'd say it was worth it. I'm seriously thinking of getting the latest print as I know a friend who would love my current copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nothing different in the rules, just cosmetic. I bought the 3rd simply for the look and quality of it. I felt that the 1st looked too much like a prototype before the real game is printed. Although I know of a few people that say they prefer the minimalistic look of the 1st edition, I suppose in keeping with the theme of a young bare planet Earth. I just prefer the thicker quality pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman56 wrote:
Nothing different in the rules, just cosmetic. I bought the 3rd simply for the look and quality of it. I felt that the 1st looked too much like a prototype before the real game is printed. Although I know of a few people that say they prefer the minimalistic look of the 1st edition, I suppose in keeping with the theme of a young bare planet Earth. I just prefer the thicker quality pieces.

Fortunately I have the 2nd edition which is the 1st edition artwork but thicker cardstock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That's definately the best of both then.
I must admit, I haven't seen the 2nd edition. I heard a lot about the 1st then the 3rd, but not the 2nd!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman56 wrote:
That's definately the best of both then.
I must admit, I haven't seen the 2nd edition. I heard a lot about the 1st then the 3rd, but not the 2nd!
The second edition was the same as the first, except they fixed the error in the first where the tiles were accidentally printed on the wrong thickness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio de Souza Fonseca
Brazil
flag msg tools
The Third printing is simply gorgeous, much better than second or first print. Of course, it's not necessary, but the visual will make this fantastic game seems even better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
msouzafon wrote:
The Third printing is simply gorgeous, much better than second or first print. Of course, it's not necessary, but the visual will make this fantastic game seems even better!

I wish people would stop saying that, I am SO close to buying the third edition even though I own and am satisfied with the second. I'm desperately trying to find excuses not to get it and you're not helping

I didn't think it would be easy to update the art without making the game almost unplayable. I think it shows how much talent was put into this design that the artist seems to have pulled it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.