Popular Tags: [View All]
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I've got a dilemma that I hope someone can tell me how to sort out.

I use an adblocker in my browser. Standard operating procedure for most people, I suspect. I used to keep it running everywhere *but* BGG, and left BGG outside of its operating range. I do want to see the board game ads, after all.

Then the BGG ads started becoming inundated with the t-shirt and MMO ads that I'm sure everyone knows about. "Let's advertise ourselves with sex appeal!" Yeah, I don't want that on my BGG. So I disabled the ads on BGG as well, as at the time I didn't have a steady paycheck.

Today, I saw the new Sad Meeple Is Sad ad-blocker-proof ad. OK, I can see that you guys want my cash, and I'll probably throw some money at you once I've got some spare funds next month. Just to see if the prior issues were sorted, though, I turned the ad-blocker off.

The window I'm typing this message in has a Resident Evil 6 ad at the top, and SD Gundam Capsule Battle on the right side. These are not board games.

The thing is, I don't *want* to lose the board game ads. I've bought kickstarter things in the past because of BGG ads. I don't know that I'd use the BGG ad-blocker if I made the $25 donation. I've also seen two t-shirt ads, a sex-appeal-MMO, and an ad for watching cartoons and WWE on TV since turning the thing off.

I just want to lose the video game and TV and Too-Much-Sex-Appeal-MMO ads. Is there something we can check somewhere that would just turn off the non-relevant ads so I don't have them gumming up my BGG experience, or some other way to do a smart-block?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
When you use the BGG adblock, you can still not choose which type of ads you will get to see, but you can choose to block a spot where an ad appears by checking that spot in your adblock settings. Checking them all will block all ads.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geekaccount/edit/adblock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah sorry I have to agree but I'm not paying for ad block when the ads are spam like crap I would never click anyway. Instead I have a big sad meeple thing that messes up how the page gets displayed. yuk The real problem is that even with adblock disabled it is still there. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That doesn't fix the layout though. I just hate when sites try to force their ads down my throat no matter what. I love BGG and if and when I chose to donate should be up to me. Much like the OP I don't have a lot to give atm though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll consider paying $25 instead of $15 next year. But I'm NEVER going to disable adblock, so if the banner stays there anyway I'm not sure what my incentive would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steev A
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems to be because they're looking for the various tracking cookies for Google Analytics, Google Adsense and Quantcast. They assume if these are absent that you are blocking ads.

I have no intention of allowing random megacorps to violate my privacy at every opportunity so I block all the tracking cookies. There is nothing to stop sites sending ads without tracking cookies or by using the services of organisations like Google who don't care about your privacy, only how they can exploit you.

Like you I still get the sad meeple even if ads are allowed. The ads are still mostly pointless however as BGG does not seem to target its ads by country - why would you present ads for US retailers (in US$) to UK based people. BGG know what country we're in - it's in our profiles after all! If we want to find US retailers to buy from surely that's what's BGG is for.

I also agree with the other comments. If I want random trash ads for stuff that can't possibly be relevant, I'll read my email spam folder. Ads only work if they are relevant to the reader.

BGG could run its own ads for gaming related companies targeted accurately by location using the information it already has - why do we need the personal data vultures to be involved? Most gaming companies and orgs would pay for ads if they knew they were going to the right audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a somewhat similar situation to the OP.
I love boardgame ads. So I happily browse BGG, and sometimes click on the boardgame ads. I also like to see the small pricing ads from OLGS. Even other geeky ads I love, like threadless and other t-shirts. VideoGame ads I'm neutral, I don't play video games but the ads don't bother me.

BUT, what gets me to click on the adblock is when I see those absolutely annoying "what if you got a grant to go back to college" ads that are an animated GIF of what looks like Condoleezza Rice in leotard with a freaking RED SIREN flashing on her HEAD, jumping up and down. How can I read a game review when I have that nonsense jumping up and down on the right of my screen?

I've complained about this ad before but BGG says it's google and they can do nothing about it.

So Ad Block goes on when I see SirenCondoleeza, then it goes off when I want to see OLGS prices. Then back on when I see her again.

I can live with Sad Meeple in place of SirenCondoleeza.
If BGG did not use the google "smart" ads, I would never use AdBlock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing...

BGG is not only a customer of Google smart ads, but also is an influential website as per googles search results. It would be awesome if sites like BGG took a stand towards certain minimal standards in internet ads, and demanded that google smart ads adhered to these standards.

The offending ads (SirenCondoleezza is just the worst offender) tend to be in 2 main categories: mortgage refinancing and grants to go back to school. These ads all are animated, with annoying GIFS that generally have nothing to do with the content of the ad.
These are really low class ads, equivalent of SPAM in your mailbox. Rather than rely on smart graphic design and marketing skills, they just blatantly try to distract you from what you're doing with moving images and bright colors, basically saying LOOKATME!LOOKATME!LOOKATME!
The MadMen would be turning in their graves if they saw these.

Anyway my point is, BGG has always said "we can't do anything about it, it's Google ads" but I really think that's the equivalent of someone at Home Depot saying "not my dept" and walking away leaving you hanging... I think BGG could take a stand towards certain minimal standards in their ads if they wanted to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take "Sad Meeple" over Google Ads anyday.

When I want companies to take my data and mine it and relentlessly track me and market to me, I'll go directly to them with arms wide open.

Until then? I don't need an unrelated website that I happen to use to do that for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
KnobDoctor wrote:
I'll consider paying $25 instead of $15 next year. But I'm NEVER going to disable adblock, so if the banner stays there anyway I'm not sure what my incentive would be.

The image showing there for users who have paid for adblock is a bug. Users who have paid for adblock should not see the sad meeple. We'll get it fixed soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Anyway my point is, BGG has always said "we can't do anything about it, it's Google ads" but I really think that's the equivalent of someone at Home Depot saying "not my dept" and walking away leaving you hanging... I think BGG could take a stand towards certain minimal standards in their ads if they wanted to.

Who's said there is nothing we can do about it? We can block ads by advertiser, for particularly offensive or annoying ads, if we know who the advertiser is. I know Aldie has frequently blocked problem ads when there have been complaints. If anyone has said that we have no control over the Google ads, they were mistaken. We can't block individual ads, but we can block advertisers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Who's said there is nothing we can do about it? We can block ads by advertiser, for particularly offensive or annoying ads, if we know who the advertiser is. I know Aldie has frequently blocked problem ads when there have been complaints. If anyone has said that we have no control over the Google ads, they were mistaken. We can't block individual ads, but we can block advertisers.

It was an admin from a thread a while back, they said that the ads that are through "google smart" you have no control over them... when I see these problem ads again, I'll make sure to geekmail you a screenshot. (Although a screenshot won't capture the most annoying animated part of it devil)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
dakarp wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

It was an admin from a thread a while back, they said that the ads that are through "google smart" you have no control over them... when I see these problem ads again, I'll make sure to geekmail you a screenshot. (Although a screenshot won't capture the most annoying animated part of it devil)

The screenshot won't help. The only thing that would help is the weblink to the advertiser. It is possible that these are some special type of google ad that we can't block--I wasn't aware that there was something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The very first thing I did this morning was nuke the 'sad meeple'. I like to think he's even sadder now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would gladly pay for a way to see only board game ads. I wonder if this is something that can be coded in the future?

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad Meeple can go __ himself. I use Adblock all the time. It's nothing personal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
dakarp wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

The screenshot won't help. The only thing that would help is the weblink to the advertiser. It is possible that these are some special type of google ad that we can't block--I wasn't aware that there was something like that.

Yeah from what I remember of what the admin told me there are two categories of ads:
1. Companies that pay BGG directly for ads.
2. Google smart-ads that appear when there are not enough ads of the first category to fill the add space/time.
They said "category 2" ones were the ones that you guys can do nothing about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
dakarp wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
dakarp wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Yeah from what I remember of what the admin told me there are two categories of ads:
2. Google smart-ads that appear when there are not enough ads of the first category to fill the add space/time.

That is not correct. We can block Google ads (at least some of them) by advertiser, if we know who the advertiser is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
dakarp wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
dakarp wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

That is not correct. We can block Google ads (at least some of them) by advertiser, if we know who the advertiser is.

Happy to hear that, I will definitely be in touch the next time I see one of the ads... I'm guessing they are all from the same company, I'll find out when I click the link (as much as it pains me to click on their link devil)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Happy to hear that, I will definitely be in touch the next time I see one of the ads... I'm guessing they are all from the same company, I'll find out when I click the link (as much as it pains me to click on their link devil)

Actually, I take back what I said about a screenshot not helping--while it won't help us block the ad (we need the target site for that) it will help us confirm that it is something we don't want on the site. From your description, it sounds like something we would block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'll find out when I click the link (as much as it pains me to click on their link )

On some browsers you can right click and pick 'copy link'. No traffic for them and you get the link (the end site is at the bottom of the string).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Clarke
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use adblock for everything. I saw sad meeple this morning and realised what was going on. He lasted about 30 secs (if that).

Whenever a page on the web is struggling to load it's normally some google or facebook crap slowing everything down. Adblock is brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you that would like to see only the board game ads that I sell directly, we have discussed a bit on how to make this happen.

I currently sell about 70% of our banner inventory directly to game publishers and retailers, so you should be seeing mostly board game ads as is. However, I totally agree that it would be great if we could eliminate the 30% worth of junk ads. The problem is, 30% of our inventory is still a lot of ad impressions, and not monetizing them at all is the equivalent of someone's salary.

So, we currently have an idea up in the air that if our end of year pledge drive hits X dollars, we will disable Google adsense for 2013. We would then run "house" ads in those empty spots (ads for internal BGG activities such as contests, promos, etc). We might do it, and we might not at this point, but it's something we're seriously thinking about, as we would love to provide everyone with 100% advertising that is relevant to your interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
BUT, what gets me to click on the adblock is when I see those absolutely annoying "what if you got a grant to go back to college" ads that are an animated GIF of what looks like Condoleezza Rice in leotard...

(Quickly turns off Adblock...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad ZB!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.