Sereg Megilmor
msg tools
mbmbmb
Let's say I'm trying to fire with one warship on an enemy one, and there's a friendly in the way like a cog.
Obviously, I don't want risking to hit the friendly, so i'll make a partial shot and use only half of my cannons.
Same if the obstruction is an island, no use on shooting at it.

But what if whatever is in the way is a hostile ? Like an enemy cog or a sea monster bound to be controlled by the enemy ?

Wouldn't it make some kind of sense to make a partial shot against each target ? Rounding down the number of dice used on the obstruction in the event the number of cannons you have is odd ?

IE : The Heldenhammer wants to shoot at the Bloody Reaver, however there is a Sea Giant in the way. Having lost cannons, it has 5 dice down from its original 6.
In this case, There would be 3 dice used to shoot at the BR and 2 to shoot at the SG.

What do you people think about this ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good idea. You could easily houserule that.
But I´d say the ship further away sould be hit by less dice, since you don´t see the full ship.

But if you start houseruling that you also have to think about what happens if there are more than one models that partially block LOS.

Will the damage dice will always evenly be split between obstacles?
So shooting at a ship with a shooting line that goes between to islands which both partially block LOS. Plus a cog that´s also in LOS...
What if the target is partially obstructed by one of your own ships?
Do you have to split the damage dice here, too?

So I see this as a good houserule but the wording must be clear enough to cover all situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sereg Megilmor
msg tools
mbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:
Sounds like a good idea. You could easily houserule that.
But I´d say the ship further away sould be hit by less dice, since you don´t see the full ship.

I was thinking that keeping the original rule in mind, the target should benefit from the "real" partial shot, the rest being a "bonus", but your point makes sense too.

Quote:
Will the damage dice will always evenly be split between obstacles?
So shooting at a ship with a shooting line that goes between to islands which both partially block LOS. Plus a cog that´s also in LOS...
What if the target is partially obstructed by one of your own ships?
Do you have to split the damage dice here, too?

Well when I thought about this, it was by taking in consideration the fact that cannons aren't "linked", and can therefore be either shot at a different target or not shot at all.
In that case :
- Island in the way : Not going to waste ammo, treat this as a classic partial shot
- Friendly in the way : Not wanting to risk hitting him, so again, classic partial shot

In the case with two islands partially blocking _plus_ the cog, I think I'd consider the ship behind all that as being entirely blocked from LOS.

Quote:
So I see this as a good houserule but the wording must be clear enough to cover all situations.

You're right, in the end there are several combinations which would need to be covered. In the same way the original rules kept it simple with the "all, half or nothing" without having to try and calculate which fraction of the cannons could really shoot at the target, this houserule should not need to make some weird measurements (so something like "all, half, evenly spread, or nothing")

Thanks again for your input, when I get time to think this over, I'll try to come up with as many scenarios as possible which could be covered, and I'll post again if I come up with something more "solid".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreadfleet is "Tabletop light for boardgamers".
This is how I see it. There were so much options left away just to keep it simple. And somehow I like that (a relief from the more complicated Tabletops I play occasionally).
Personally I´ll only add houserules when they don´t make the game more complicated and explaining it to newbies wouldn´t take much longer (see my initiative variant...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.