Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand how you score each hand of French Tarot. I'm just curious how many hands are played in a typical game. Is there a target score for a win -- a 1000 points, say? Or do games usually take the form, say, of "Let's play four hands and whoever is ahead at that point wins"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no set rule on ending the game, the game is played as long as the players want to play (or have money left, since originally the game was played for money).

French tarot doesn't have such a rule, but many other tarot games have a rule something like this:

John McLeod wrote:
When the players wish to end the game - maybe at a certain time, like 4:00 AM, or when a player reaches a certain score - usually 1000 - or when the players are simply too sleepy or too drunk or too fed up to continue with the session), the škis round is played. The cards are dealt and a hand is played as usual, but at the end the players note who received the škis in the deal. The next time that it is this person's turn to deal, the hand they deal will be the last one of the session. For example, if in the škis round, the dealer gets the škis, another four hands will be played after that one. If the škis is in the talon, another škis round is played to determine who will deal last.

Škis is the Excuse or the Fool in French tarot. If this is too complicated, you can note who was the first dealer and when you quit, finish the round so that everybody deals equal number of times.

No idea how many hands is a typical game. I've never actually played French tarot, but when we've played other tarot games (we're particular to the Slovenian game), we've usually played 90 minutes or so. That's a bit on the short side to balance out the luck of the draw, but better than nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wickson
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the French Tarot software I often download, twenty is the usual number of deals in a game. Players of course may agree to a greater or lesser number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cdunc123 wrote:
I understand how you score each hand of French Tarot. I'm just curious how many hands are played in a typical game. Is there a target score for a win -- a 1000 points, say? Or do games usually take the form, say, of "Let's play four hands and whoever is ahead at that point wins"?

French Tarot is one of those games that are not played so that there is a single winner and other players are losers. The outcome of the game is the score, and this is usually implemented so that the differences of scores are paid in money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.