Popular Tags: [View All]
laudemar gonzalez
Canada
toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I believe that, with all the new units, the 400-point army will soon be a thing of the past. Larger armies will become the norm. With that in mind, I've decided to create this thread. Here's one 500-point army that I think can be very effective in a balanced scenario. Of course, any army can be defeated, but in a tournament, you go in "blind"; the draft must be done beforehand and you can't "counter" your opponent as you can in regular play.

* 2 squads of Roman Legionnaires..............100 pts
* Venoc Warlord...............................120 pts
* 3 squads of Venoc Vipers....................120 pts
* Airborne Elite..............................110 pts
* Marro Warriors/Me-Burq-Sa...................50 pts

TOTAL.........................................500 pts

REASONING: The Roman Legionnaires give the Venoc Warlord free turns. The Venoc Vipers get enhancements from the Venoc Warlord (+2 speed and +1 on the Frenzy roll). The Airborne Elite give excellent long-range (up to eight spaces) firepower (4 attack dice from higher ground) and can pop up anywhere. The Marro Warriors are a super bargain at 50 points. Instead of choosing the Marro Warriors, Me-Burq-Sa can be chosen only because he is very fast and the Roman Legionnaires give him a free turn. I, however, would choose the Marro Warriors.

DRAWBACKS: This army is very "chompable". It is also vulnerable to Mimring's Fireline Special Attack. In addition, you'll need a bit of (but not much) luck. The Airborne Elite may (very unlikely) not arrive in time and the Venoc Vipers may not Frenzy often enough. The Venoc Vipers themselves, unless you keep them hidden while advancing, are easy pickings for ranged units like Deathwalker 8000.

Do YOU have any ideas for a 500-point army? If so, please post them here. I need all the help I can get to beat my opponents on Friday nights in the Heroscape Night group I've started here in Toronto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willson
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sgt. Drake Alexander...............110pts
Sir Denrick.............................100
Thorgrim the Viking Champion.....80
Knights of Weston....................70
4th Massachusetts Line(x2)......140
------------------------------500pts

Tactics:
*This entire force is 'valiant', making the 4th Mass. Line tougher to kill. Make sure to keep your heroes in range of the 4th Mass Line so they don't have to move before shooting
*Use the Knights' bonding to keep your Heroes on the move (and your opponents guessing) with out ever putting an order on them.
*Thorgrim is the only unit that needs to be adjacent to other pieces to be useful, have him support the unit(s) that your opponents start gunning for first.
*Don't be afraid to spread this force out both as a defensive measure (against the DW8000, Mimring, etc.) and as an offensive measure-> make your opponent have to do a lot of leaving engagement by spreading out the Knights to utilize the Coward's Reward

If you were going to play in a "bring your army" style, I would recommend a sideboard for different fields/scenarios. With this army I would have Finn the Viking Champ and a second Knights o' Weston. This way you can tailor the army to the field.

I've had success with this army in 3- and 4-player games. Where players normally go after the real big beasties first leaving this seemingly weaker army alone for several turns. Which is also good because the large, though, multi-wound heroes are the ones that pose the biggest hurdle to this force.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laudemar gonzalez
Canada
toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Excellent post, Steve! Now that's Heroscape at its best!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laudemar gonzalez
Canada
toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Here's another good army. It netted me two wins last night out of three games (in the first game I didn't choose a good army).

* Grimnak...........................120 pts
* Tornak............................100 pts
* 3 blade grut squads...............120 pts
* Airborne Elite....................110 pts
* Marro Warriors.....................50 pts

TOTAL...............................500 pts

REASONING: Obvious, isn't it? The Orcs bond completely, while the Airborne Elite (if and when they arrive!) provide much needed ranged attacks. The Marro Warriors are excellent insurance against Airborne Elite "tardiness". In one of my games last night, the Airborne Elite didn't arrive until the fifth round. The Marro were instrumental in wiping out my opponent's nine Venoc Vipers as they managed to frenzy thrice(!), and managed to completely mangle one of my orc squads and Tornak (140 pts total). If it hadn't been for the Marro Warriors, the Venoc Vipers would have gotten away with no casualties. The Orcs are excellent glyph-getters/holders/users, especially with their champions nearby.

DRAWBACKS: The major drawback is that the Airborne Elite may not arrive for several or many rounds. It is even possible that they will not arrive at all before your army is severely crippled (by your opponent's ranged units) or completely wiped out. A less severe drawback is that it is sometimes difficult to move Grimnak over "bumpy" terrain. However, this problem usually disappears once the Orcs control the speed glyph.

TIP: If your Airborne Elite arrive in the first round, you should seriously consider using them to secure glyphs.

This will make your Orcs much, much faster and more powerful. Your Orcs will be able to come at your opponent fast before he gets a chance to attack your Airborne Elite (assuming you only placed the first order marker on them and the other two on the Orcs). Attacking with the Airborne Elite at the start may seem attractive, but if your Airborne Elite get killed only to destroy an opponet's cheap squad or hero, the rest of your army will be at a severe disadvantage for the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Scherer
United States
Kanab
Utah
flag msg tools
mines never lost ( Yet ) but then again the people I play against arent very good
agents 100
marro warriors 50
Taelord 180
snipers 100
samurai 60
490 points I use a lot of long range units
and defend tem with samurai
this only works on a map with a good size and lots of towers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laudemar gonzalez
Canada
toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
You DO INDEED use a lot of ranged units, Timothy, and a very expensive one too (Taelord). Your army seems a bit one-dimensional. It looks like it would be very vulnerable unless situated on high ground, as you yourself pointed out in your post. The Samurai are fine, but who will hold the glyphs? (you should always play with at least the four basic glyphs -range, attack, defense and speed- to give players an incentive to move).

Once your opponent grabs hold of the "Range + 4" Glyph, he'll be able to pelt you from afar and your all-ranged army will be unable to react without coming down to the lower levels where your opponent's melee units will make short work of them. Perhaps the reason you've been so successful with them is that you never played with the range glyph. The strategy I just described would be the one I'd use against your army.

Thanks for the post, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laudemar gonzalez
Canada
toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Here's a great smash-mouth army, suitable for SMALL scenarios with elevations, water, and, of course, glyphs.

* 2 squads of Minions of Utgar................220 pts
* Deathwalker 8000............................130 pts
* 2 Roman Legionnaire squads..................100 pts
* 1 Me-Burq-Sa................................50 pts

TOTAL: 500 pts

REASONING:
The Romans can move immediately to activate glyphs and secure the area while giving Me-Burq-Sa free turns to do some opportunistic sniper work along the way. If the opponent has ranged units in high places right off the bat, (the Airborne Elite come to mind) then the Minions can fly right up to them and cleave them asunder. The Deathwalker can get to work right away should there be any pesky Venoc Vipers or other weaklings advancing. Once the Romans secure the glyphs, the Minions will become dauntingly powerful.

DRAWBACKS:
This army is obviously vulnerable to long-ranged (7+) units. It can't afford to get pelted for long. It also can't afford to make positional errors because of its slow movement. Every move counts. It's a fun army to play, but difficult to play well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laudemar gonzalez
Canada
toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
You want to play with a quick ranged army? Here's one:

* Syvarris..................................100 pts
* Airborne Elite............................110 pts
* Krav Maga Agents..........................100 pts
* Brunak....................................110 pts
* 2 Blade Grut squads.......................80 pts

REASONING:

This army's success will depend heavily upon its ability to deploy quickly and to secure glyphs with orcs, especially the + 4 range glyph, so that the ranged units can pelt the enemy with enhanced attacks. Brunak can be used to carry Syvarris to an advantageous elevation - preferrably one surrounded by lava (Brunak has a height of 8!). He can also protect Syvarris or attack small units trying to bull rush Syvarris. The Airborne Elite need no help; just hope they arrive within the first 4 turns. The Krav Maga Agents are excellent for taking out the enemy's ranged units or speedy attackers (like the vipers), in case the Airborne elite are tardy.

DISADVANTAGES:

Firstly, the Airborne Elite may not show up. That's a risk you have to accept in exchange for their: great ability, good attack, range (8), numbers (4 of them), and relatively low price. Secondly, as stated above, success depends to a great extent on the ability to control the + 4 range glyph. Unless the scenario is very small, that glyph must not be allowed to fall into enemy hands. If it does, YOUR RANGED ARMY will be picked off (one by one) by your ENEMY'S RANGED UNITS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laudemar gonzalez
Canada
toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Some scenarios call for large numbers of "expendables". Here's a great army of that ilk:

* Venoc Warlord............................120 pts
* 3 squads of Venoc Vipers.................120 pts
* 3 squads of Roman Legionnaires...........150 pts
* Airborne Elite...........................110 pts

REASONING:
The Venoc Vipers provide a -potentially with the odd frenzy- devastating assault that may cripple an opponent's army by destroying some of its key units (such as Raelin, Syvarris, etc.) The Vipers are enhanced by their Warlord in both speed and frenzying opportunities. The Warlord in turn is given free turns by the Roman Legionnaires who are excellent ground troops, especially in large numbers. Finally, the Airborne Elite, keep the opponent guessing, and they provide excellent ranged firepower when they arrive.

DRAWBACKS:
This army depends heavily on the prompt arrival of the Airborne Elite (within the first 3 rounds), and some luck frenzying with the Vipers. In addition, the Legionnaires are sluggish and will require time to reach glyphs and engage the enemy. Before the Airborne Elite arrive, your army will be vulnerable to ranged attacks.

TIP:
You may want to use the Venoc Warlord to control a key glyph (such as the + 2 speed glyph, which would give your Vipers a speed of 11(!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laudemar gonzalez
Canada
toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Sometimes, doing the unexpected wins games. This army looks odd, but it is remarkably "bonded" and consists mostly of units that your opponent will be unlikely to choose (with the exception of the Airborne Elite, which you should choose first, if possible).

* Raelin......................................80 pts.
* Brunak......................................110 pts.
* Airborne Elite..............................110 pts.
* Krug........................................120 pts.
* 2 squads of Arrow Gruts.....................80 pts.
TOTAL: 500 pts.

REASONING:

This army is designed to bring great pressure to bear on the enemy's weak spot very quickly. Brunak can carry Raelin around to help protect himself (9 defensive dice!) while he slashes away at an enemy's weakest units with his bloodlust attack. Krug can delve into the enemy's main force, thus providing cover at no cost for the Arrow Gruts to scramble and secure glyphs. The glyph of + 2 defense, for example, would give Brunak 11(!) defensive dice. The Airborne Elite, of course, will hopefully provide the much-needed ranged attacks. This army can catch an opponent off-guard because he probably won't realize how quickly all the units can move together.

DRAWBACKS:

Surprise is everything. You have to catch your opponent off-guard somewhere with either Krug or, more likely, the Brunak-Raelin combo. If the Airborne Elite don't arrive quickly and provide supressive firepower, your opponent will likely recover and bring his more numerous squads to bear on your big and expensive units. You must slaughter many enemy units while keeping your loses to a minimum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laudemar gonzalez
Canada
toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Against an opponent who usually chooses hordes of small, weak units, this is a great army to draft.

* Charros..................................210 pts.
* Brunak...................................110 pts.
* Raelin...................................80 pts.
* Marro Warriors...........................50 pts.
* Tarn Vikings.............................50 pts.
TOTAL: 500 pts.

REASONING:

Once again, the Brunak-Raelin combo can be used to charge into enemy squads to wreak havoc. Brunak's height of 8 means that most enemy units will not be able to place themselves out of his reach. If necessary, Raelin can fly up to a particularly pesky enemy ranged unit (such as Syvarris) to neutralize it. The Tarn Vikings, if they're lucky and get at least one "frenzy" can quickly move to secure glyphs/strategic passages, while the Marro Warriors can provide ranged attacks from above. Charros, of course, must be used to go after the enemy's BIG, expensive/key units (5 attack dice). His hitback ability will make an opponent think twice before swarming him with defensively weak squad units. In addition, Charros and Brunak become much more formidable if the defense + 2 glyph is secured AND Raelin adds her defensive bonus. Charros would then have 9 defensive dice (great hitback potential), and Brunak will enjoy a defense of 11.

DRAWBACKS:

This army is clearly vulnerable to ranged attacks, especially Raelin. For this reason you will have to invest turns to secure the defense glyph. This army also lacks any real bonding. It is difficult to move the units effectively; you must plan carefully. At all costs, stop the enemy from securing the glyphs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laudemar gonzalez
Canada
toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
C'mon, people, contribute! I'm the only one contributing here. I know tons of you are reading my entries and I suspect most of you are printing out my armies and notes. Don't be afraid to participate. The moderators won't lock up this thread like they locked up my "BRUNAK HAS ISSUES" thread. This thread is the best they've got going. I started this to get ideas, not to be a one-man charity. Anyway, here's an army you can use when you're in the mood to play with wolves, howl at the moon, and devour your opponent. Use it when you don't feel like doing much thinking and would rather pray for lucky 20-sider rolls.

* Khosumet the Darklord.........................75 pts
* 3 squads of Anubian Wolves....................225 pts
* Airborne Elite................................110 pts
* Arrow Gruts...................................40 pts
* 2 Swog Riders.................................50 pts

REASONING:

This army is somewhat lop-sided, but, with a bit of luck (ok, quite a bit of luck), it can pull off remarkable/resounding
victories. Success will depend almost exclusively on good d20 rolls, whether for the wolves' attack power or the arrival of the Airborn Elite. However, the wolves are formidable when lucky, especially with the help of their Darklord, and the Airborne Elite force your opponent to give at least minimum respect to your range attack capability. The Arrow Gruts and the 2 Swogs bond nicely and should be used exclusively, in the early going at least, to secure glyphs. Three nice things about the Swog Riders: they're fast, they're cheap and they can't be chomped.

DRAWBACKS:

Without luck, this army will have you howling in sorrow. Unless you get good d20 rolls, all the strategy in the world won't help you. This army is vulnerable to Chomps, ranged attacks, water (delays), flying units, special attacks and large numbers of small units with a decent attack (Romans, Marro Drones, Vipers, Blade Gruts, etc.). You should just HAVE FUN with this army; don't EXPECT to win often. If you do, you'll be disappointed and you'll get frustrated and bitter (I've been told).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Charos - 210
3 squads of 4th Massachusettes Line - 210
Saylind the Kyrie Warrior - 80

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laudemar gonzalez
Canada
toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thank yEW, MatthEW. Some pointers on how to actually USE the army would have been nice, since Saylind is still not available here in Canada, but at least you came up with an original army. Hmmm...3 squads of 4th Massachussetts Line? Who's going to get to and hold the glyphs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laudemar gonzalez
Canada
toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
On an open, grassy plain, with little water, there's nothing like having the Marro Drones around to swarm your opponents from left, right and center.

* 4 squads of Marro Drones.......................200 pts
* Airborne Elite.................................110 pts
* Krav Maga Agents...............................100 pts
* Marro Warriors.................................50 pts
* Venoc Vipers...................................40 pts

REASONING:

A while back I decided that Heroscape was going to be "the" game for me. I stopped buying other board games (which had become insipid to me in comparison to Heroscape) and I invested heavily in Heroscape. I bought two master sets and three of each expansion with one exception. I bought 4 packs of Marro Drones/Minions of Utgar. Why? Simple. If you only have 3 squads of Marro drones, as soon as you lose one your swarming power is crippled. With 4 squads, you can afford to lose up to 3 without having your swarming ability reduced. In addition, with 4 squads you can spare a few to control glyphs. Hence the 4 squads. The ranged units are great for reasons I've explained before, and the Venoc Vipers are a nice filler that can produce pleasant surprises.

DRAWBACKS:

The usual Airborne Elite condition. Also, you may suffer from a bout of bad luck when rolling the d20 for the Drones. Without their "mass advance/attack", you'll only be moving/attacking with 3 weak ground units per turn. The Drones have a height of only 4. Keep that in mind when deciding whether to attack an opponent on an elevated spot. Finally, do NOT attack units like Grimnak, Brunak, the Samurai, Charros and Mimring with your Drones. Use your ranged units to deal with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Octavian wrote:
Charos - 210
3 squads of 4th Massachusettes Line - 210
Saylind the Kyrie Warrior - 80

-MMM

The first obvious point of this army is that it is all Valiant figures, which gives the Massachusettes Line a bonus defense die. So they provide the ranged attack and Charos provides the melee.

I'm not sold on Saylind (who has a teleportion ability that, in conjuction with being able to fly, can be used to immediately get members of the Line up to high ground) - was almost considering putting Thorgrim in that slot - charging him into the enemy and putting his spirit on either Charos (making his counter-strike even more potent) or the Line.

Charos is the front line - swooping in and forcing engagements with multiple units, preferably ranged units. Meanwhile the Line merely need to get into defensible positions, preferably scattered throughout the board. By the time the enemy has taken out Charos hopefully the Line is set up such that they all have shots available without needing to move, giving them the bonus attack die. If the Line is able to take high ground they are very difficult to dislodge.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laudemar gonzalez
Canada
toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
That's the way! Well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys have alot more heroes & duplicate squads to work with than I do. I started late and I missed some expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laudemar gonzalez
Canada
toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Yes, having started late is a disadvantage when it comes to building up a collection. However, most "Toys 'r Us" and "Walmarts" carry the game and the expansions. I suggest you do what I did. You can't serve two masters. Either Heroscape is your passion/obsession and you invest all of your gaming time/money in it, or you go play other games. You can't do both unless you're rich/don't have to work. Get three of each squad with the exception of the Drones/Minions (get 4 of those). When the "Road to the Forgotten Forest" expansion arrives in Canada, I'm going to buy 4 of them. I too once doubted whether Heroscape would be worth it; I doubt it no more. I've had more fun with Heroscape alone than with all other games I've ever played combined (including Chess).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laudemar gonzalez
Canada
toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
When you want to surprise your enemy with a quick offensive, this army may be the ticket.

* Sgt. Drake Alexander..............................110 pts
* Brunak............................................110 pts
* Mimring...........................................150 pts
* 2 squads of Arrow Gruts............................80 pts
* Marro Warriors.....................................50 pts
TOTAL:500 pts

REASONING:

Sgt. Drake Alexander can ride Brunak into battle. The Sarge is immune to normal ranged attacks and Brunak rolls 7 defense dice. Mimring gets free turns while the Arrow Gruts sprint to the glyphs. The Marro Warriors may become very useful once the glyphs are secured, but should just stand by behind cover until then. Brunak can take care of squads and units on high ground, while the Sarge deals heavy damage to large units. Mimring creates uncertainty in the enemy camp as enemy units usually scatter so as not to be caught in the "fire line" when Mimring attacks.

DRAWBACKS:

This army is a bit vulnerable to large numbers of ground troops as well as to most ranged units. The Arrow Gruts are fast, but they have trouble holding glyphs. You've definitely got to find a way to draw first blood...and second, and third, and,etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laudemar gonzalez
Canada
toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Woohoo!!! Hurray!!! Last night I got the latest expansions!!! Now all I need are the volcano and bridge expansions! You'd think that last night we would have played with the new units, eager to try them out, right? Wrong!!! Airborne Elite, Krav Maga, Marro Warriors, Snipers, Syvarris, etc. The same ol' stuff!

Why, you ask? Unfortunately, the ranged units, at least in every scenario I've ever played, are just too darn powerful and a much better value for their prices than the melee units. This may also be due, in part, to the fact that there is no glyph that REMOVES ranged abilities (as is the case for the flying ability); in fact, there's a glyph that ENHANCES it by 4(!). No wonder, then. What to do, what to do? I've struck upon an idea.

Decide, before the game, the theme. A theme could be, for example, "Units with non-white (white weapons are things like knives, rocks, bows and arrows, swords, etc.) ranged weapons are prohibited"
This measure, while it excludes several units, makes many, many more units enter the "drafting process". With the tech-shooters gone, units like the Knights of Weston, the Highlanders, Krug and others of that sort will finally see the light of day. Units like Syvarris and Mimring would still be allowed under these conditions.

Another theme could be "Ranged units cost double". That one is self-explanatory. Whatever theme you choose to limit range units will certainly help little-played, non-ranged units to get out of the box. If you don't impose some kind of limitation, you'll find that you'll end up playing with the same units over and over. Either that, or YOU will choose the little-played units and YOUR opponent (assuming he's intent on winning) will choose the ranged units and beat you 9 times out of ten. That would be unbalanced, predictable, and not much fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
You could also try not playing with glyphs, or playing with fewer of them, or making them harder to access. As you noted, the glyphs favor the ranged units by making them more potent (+ to range and attack) and by compensating for their biggest flaw - their typically low defense.

Even when playing with glyphs I find a mix of melee and range is superior to just ranged. The trick is using them in conjunction. If I've got my ranged units in position and am charging with my melee units, which do you attack? Attack my melee units and they'll soak damage while my ranged units pick you off. Attack my ranged units and you free up the melee units to charge in for the kill.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Chuck Singer)
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we play, we shuffle up all the cards, randomly cut them, then deal two cards to one player. A third card gets removed from the mix. Repeat for all playing players.

Then whatever you have leftover in points (we like to play with 600pt armies) you build your army with what cards are left in the mix. The person with the lowest pt army (or most points available) picks first.

This forces you to play with units you normally wouldn't play with (cough... Khosumet), such as, in your case, non-ranged units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laudemar gonzalez
Canada
toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
That's a good way to bring in rarely played units, Chuck. However, it does nothing to solve the problem of the supremacy of ranged units. What I mean is that people with the ranged units dealt to them, or the people that get to choose first afterwards, will have an advantage (if you accept my theory that ranged units -specifically the Marro Warriors, Krav Maga and Airborne Elite- are the best) and that players who want to win will choose them first. The problem then is not that little-used units don't get to play, but that the ranged units are ALWAYS the difference makers (he who gets them wins).

We'll need additional suggestions (to the two I've already proposed) if we're to solve the "problem" of ranged unit superiority. Matthew's idea of not using glyphs doesn't appeal to me because I WANT glyphs to be part of the game. Glyphs add incentives and provide interesting tactical considerations when attacking/defending. I hope more people contribute ideas AND new 500-point army recepies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Chuck Singer)
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is not doubt that ranged units are powerful. The snipers can really lay a good beat-down with the right rolls and some height, and don't even get me started on my hatred for playing against the Krav-Maga Agents (I think they got the point costs for Krav-Maga Agents and Taelord mixed up.).

But here is a strategy I use a lot that makes the non-ranged units useful in battles against the ranged units. I tend to see a lot of people spreading their turn markers out over their units, trying to spread out, dig-in, or take a foothold on some of the good spots in the terrain. I counter this by seperating my squad into sub-squads that work well together. I will "use-up" or put all of my turn markers on my one 'kamikaze' sub-squad and just use them to charge in and lay a beat-down. This allows my units to have reactive capability to what is going on while the opponent is forced to move other units that have markers. It really does suck to have Snipers with one turn order marker on them start up against a 2-pack of Drones with 3 turn order markers on them. With the Drones going 3X to the Snipers 1X.. the snipers won't last long.
This technique allows my non-ranged units to achieve maximum effectivness instead of just sitting somewhere while I play around with my ranged units, 'picking off' other units.

So I'll normally form my army with one or two expendable subsquads, and my core subsquad (that will have ranged units). If I can grab the Tarn Vikings, the Anubian Wolves, Denrik+Knights, Arrow Gruts+Swog, Blade Gruts+Tornak, two sets of Vipers or a couple sets of Drones, then I will so I can "use them up" before I start using my core subsquad. I can normally remove a ranged squad or two before my opponents can react, and then I don't have to worry about defending them anymore. The Monks can also do some serious damage if you can get them into the opponents base before they can react. I don't care for Marcus+Romans combo because they are too pricey for what I use them for. If I have Krug, I will sent him immediatly after Krav-Maga agents or Snipers. Finn is an excellent unit to "use up" on a kamikaze charge because he continues to help even after he is dead.

The only caveat to this technique is that you leave the rest of your army motionless in your base while you "use up" your first squad. This normally isn't a problem, but you have to keep an eye any approaching Deathwalkers or a sudden drop from the Airborne with with their grenades.

An example of my 500 pt army and how I'd use them (and I tried not to use the Vipers, because they are so cool and I use them differently than I wrote above).

Finn.. 80pts
2 Arrow Gruts... 80pts
Swog.. 25pts
Krug.. 120pts
Mass. Line.. 70pts
Wolves... 75pts
2 Dumetef.. 50pts = 500pts.

I have a lot of options with this.
I would break my subsquads down into:

A: Finn.
B: Swog+Arrow
C: Krug+Arrow
Core:
D: Mass. Line
E: Dumetef+Wolves

I would probably send out Finn to attack a scary range unit. Hopefully take out a krav maga/sniper or two and then die. Put Finn on Krug. Next I'd either use up Krug/Arrow or a Swog/Arrow depending on who I wanted to die next; If I needed to take Charos/SeBukNa/Krav/Snipers/DW I would send out Krug/Arrow, otherwise, I would use up an Arrow/Swog.
Then I would try to get my Mass.Line in position. After that, I would set up my dumuetefs/wolves on a road under the cover of the Mass Line. Then I would send out my other Arrow/Swog, Krug/Arrow squad to cause some havoc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.