Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jane
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone.

I hope it's not minded too much that I'm making another thread. My last one kind of got exhausted with recommendations and here I'm looking for just one (sort of) specific kind of game.

First off, thanks to all the suggestions in my other thread and all the great video reviews on this website, I've managed to come up up with a number of games to buy:

Battle Line
Lost Cities
Jaipur
Carcassonne
Coloretto
(Maybe) San Juan

Games I own:
Yinsh
Dominion
Ticket To Ride (steam version)

What I'm looking for:
- Must be good with 2 players
- No co-op
- Should be competitive with an element of conflict/sabotage/blocking, so no multiplayer solitaire type games, but at the same time the sabotage shouldn't be too extreme in that you can completely obliterate the other player ie not too cut-throat. The blocking in TtR is a good example of what I'd like, as is the attacking play in Dominion so something like that or slightly more interaction is ideal.
- Not heavily reliant on luck – the luck in Dominion is roughly as far as I'd like it to be luck-wise
- Should offer something different from the games above.
- Should be light to medium weight, leaning more to medium, say 2-3 rating
- Should be reasonably easy to learn but have quite a bit of depth
- Should take an absolute maximum of 2 hours to play
- A board is a plus but not necessary

Games I've ruled out:
Ingenious – it looks an ok game but I think I'd lose interest in it pretty quickly
Quirkle – ditto
Summoner Wars – seems too much like Chess
Hive – seems too much like Chess
Small World – undead viking says it “gets dull real fast” and from what i've seen of it I think i'd feel the same
Survive! - similarly I think it'd get less interesting and I think it might be slightly too cut-throat.
Mr Jack – not too keen on deduction
Letters From Whitechapel – not too keen on deduction
Tobago – not too keen on deduction
Tikal – maybe in the future
Thurn and Taxis – maybe in the future
Alhambra – seems like it's lacking in interaction

Possibles:
Stone Age – not sure how much chance/luck there is in this. mainly considering it because it's so often recommended. How solitary is the game-play?
Airlines Europe – again is it solitary?

So what am I missing that fits my criteria?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to disagree with Lance about Small World. I can't get enough of that game, and all its expansions. There are definitely a ton of bad reviews out there, but the game is still rated 60th overall for a reason. I love it!

I will say that Tobago isn't your typical deduction type game. It's nothing like Whitechapel or Fury of Dracula. It's more of a reverse deduction game where you just play cards to narrow down where treasure is. That being said, there really isn't too much screwage, so it might not be for you. Just giving a bit more info.

I would look at Claustrophobia. It's competitive, not a multiplayer solitare game. There is dice rolling, but the luck is pretty low. Completely different from any of the games you have. It's pretty light. It's incredibly easy to learn, and only takes about 45 mins to play through, and has tiles that you build into a board. Check out the review/session report from
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It really swayed me (and many others) into buying it.

The Dirty 1/4 Dozen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Morels

My wife and I recently picked this up and really like it. Meets your criteria and well worth a look!

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Romero
United States
Jacksonville
FL -
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Citadels? It seems to fit your criteria and is relatively cheap. Plays fairly well with two, and has some head to head to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian L
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Looks like a good list!
I would definitely reconsider Summoner Wars! Not really comparable to chess at all, except the grid pattern and the "Kill the King/Summoner" winning condition. Anyway. Great game!

Also, I think you should check out Innovation.
An awesome card game, that at first might seem chaotic. However, especially with two players it plays great and is fun over and over again.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska (NE)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my gameplays are 2-player. Here is my input:
Airlines Europe plays better with 3-5 players. We don't enjoy it with 2.
Thurn and Taxis is wonderful with 2, but it pretty solitary play, except for taking the cards, tiles before the other player. It reminds me of Ticket to Ride without the screwage.
For your criteria, I agree with the ones you ruled out for the most part. Although, Small World might deserve another look at some point.

Check into Stone Age again. It plays great with 2 and has so many routes to victory. While you are working on adding to your own player mat basically, you are constantly competing for the same resources and items on the main board, shutting each other's choices down. It can be intentional or not.

There are so many other great 2-player games out there, but you have a great start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BauMeister wrote:
Hi,
Looks like a good list!
I would definitely reconsider Summoner Wars! Not really comparable to chess at all, except the grid pattern and the "Kill the King/Summoner" winning condition. Anyway. Great game!

I don't think the chess like aspect is the issue. They want something with minimal luck in it and that's where SW is going to fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies so far!

Sandmanx82 wrote:
I would look at Claustrophobia. It's competitive, not a multiplayer solitare game. There is dice rolling, but the luck is pretty low. Completely different from any of the games you have. It's pretty light. It's incredibly easy to learn, and only takes about 45 mins to play through, and has tiles that you build into a board.

I've looked at Claustrophobia before. Can't remember why I dismissed it, but I will have a look at it again!

texasgeoker wrote:
Morels

My wife and I recently picked this up and really like it. Meets your criteria and well worth a look!

Good luck!

Can't get it in the UK.

MRomeo99 wrote:
How about Citadels? It seems to fit your criteria and is relatively cheap. Plays fairly well with two, and has some head to head to it.

I've also looked at Citadels quite a few times because it's recommended a lot, but I was put off by a review that said it can get a bit samey or boring or something like that. Is it different enough from the other games on my list?

BauMeister wrote:
Hi,
Looks like a good list!

Also, I think you should check out Innovation.
An awesome card game, that at first might seem chaotic. However, especially with two players it plays great and is fun over and over again.

Good luck!

Yeah it was the moving of the pieces/cards and the "kill the king" aspect that made me think of chess.

I've also looked at Innovation before and I think I was quite interested so will take another look. Is it much of a solitary game? Much luck?

jill e gamer wrote:
Most of my gameplays are 2-player. Here is my input:
Airlines Europe plays better with 3-5 players. We don't enjoy it with 2.
Thurn and Taxis is wonderful with 2, but it pretty solitary play, except for taking the cards, tiles before the other player. It reminds me of Ticket to Ride without the screwage.
For your criteria, I agree with the ones you ruled out for the most part. Although, Small World might deserve another look at some point.

Check into Stone Age again. It plays great with 2 and has so many routes to victory. While you are working on adding to your own player mat basically, you are constantly competing for the same resources and items on the main board, shutting each other's choices down. It can be intentional or not.

There are so many other great 2-player games out there, but you have a great start.

Thanks for the feedback on those games. I'll take look at Stone Age, again because it's recommended a lot. It's possibly the one I'm leaning towards most to buy. Still not sure if there's enough "screwage" as you call it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigris & Euphrates. It has blocking, some conflict and NO LUCK. Check it out, might be something you are looking for. The Pegasus version is very beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
I haven't played Battle Line but I was under the impression that it was very very similar to Lost Cities with some added interaction/strategy. Not sure if buying both is really worth it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong thought...as I said, I've not played Battle Line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aton is a great 2 player game. It plays fast, has almost no luck factor. Has a form of sabotage, e.g. by taking away priests from the opponent. Easy to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
qudoz wrote:
texasgeoker wrote:
Morels

Good luck!

Can't get it in the UK.

Sorry. Didn't know where you were located.

Suggestion: Take a moment and update your BGG profile and rate some games you've played. It helps us with recommendations.

And based on your reply to an earlier recommendation, I would also suggest you get Innovation. My wife and I love this one too and not only is it good as a 2-player game, we think it scales well to 3-4 players also.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dungeon Twister 2: Prison

I think its fits all your criteria perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
centaurreader wrote:
I haven't played Battle Line but I was under the impression that it was very very similar to Lost Cities with some added interaction/strategy. Not sure if buying both is really worth it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong thought...as I said, I've not played Battle Line.

Yeah they are quite similar but I couldn't decide which one to get so I'm getting both cool

texasgeoker wrote:
Suggestion: Take a moment and update your BGG profile and rate some games you've played. It helps us with recommendations.

I thought I was pretty thorough with my criteria I'm completely new to board games so basically I've played Dominion and Ticket To Ride. I love both but I find the online version of Dominion much better than the physical version (the shuffling is annoying and the solitary nature becomes more apparent).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi qudoz - I have been following your other thread as I am kind of along the same journey as well, being relatively new to boardgames

I will heartily recommend Carcassonne from your list as I own and love it. You can definitely block and steal in that game, or leave each other's cities/roads/farms alone, depending on your desired level of interaction and stabbing. My wife hates it when I steal a big city of hers, but she can get pretty cutthroat too.

I have bought the iOS versions of San Juan (love it), Battle Line (love it), Lost Cities (almost love it) and Coloretto (it's ok, but mega cheap so will probably also buy). San Juan is a nice intro to the role selection mechanic, but pretty low on direct interaction. Battle Line is a really simple, really thoughtful game with a lot of bluffing and interaction (knowing when to show your hand on a particular flag etc).

I was dubious on Summoner Wars until downloading the iOS version and playing it a few times. It's now on my definite order list for next month (I am ordering a few games to be delivered to one of our hotels on our USA trip, saves us about 50% compared to buying here in Australia!). Yes, it's very much like chess, but with very interesting pieces available to each side. It's very much balanced between knowing when to deploy, what to sacrifice etc.

Good luck, and I'll be watching this thread too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
Hi qudoz - I have been following your other thread as I am kind of along the same journey as well, being relatively new to boardgames

I will heartily recommend Carcassonne from your list as I own and love it. You can definitely block and steal in that game, or leave each other's cities/roads/farms alone, depending on your desired level of interaction and stabbing. My wife hates it when I steal a big city of hers, but she can get pretty cutthroat too.

I have bought the iOS versions of San Juan (love it), Battle Line (love it), Lost Cities (almost love it) and Coloretto (it's ok, but mega cheap so will probably also buy). San Juan is a nice intro to the role selection mechanic, but pretty low on direct interaction. Battle Line is a really simple, really thoughtful game with a lot of bluffing and interaction (knowing when to show your hand on a particular flag etc).

I was dubious on Summoner Wars until downloading the iOS version and playing it a few times. It's now on my definite order list for next month (I am ordering a few games to be delivered to one of our hotels on our USA trip, saves us about 50% compared to buying here in Australia!). Yes, it's very much like chess, but with very interesting pieces available to each side. It's very much balanced between knowing when to deploy, what to sacrifice etc.

Good luck, and I'll be watching this thread too

That's all really useful - thank you! Do you think it's worthwhile getting both Battle Line and Lost Cities? Also, have you played Dominion? I feel the same about Coloretto - just getting it as a really cheap, really light, really fast game.

I've made a new list (I think this is my 4th spreadsheet lol) with weights and ranks and prices. I'm going to force myself to watch their video reviews (again) to hopefully come to a decision. My problem is I have a really short attention span so I nearly always get bored about a quarter of the way through the review whistle

Anyway, just in case you're interested, this is my new list of games to look at:

Tigris and Euphrates
Summoner Wars
Stone Age, though considering Egizia in its place
Troyes
Claustrophobia
Small World
Innovation
Citadels
Dungeon Twister: Prison

Goa was on the list too but then I couldn't find it here. Also all of those games except Citadels (2.1) and Small World (2.4) are rated as 2.5 or higher in terms of weight. I think I need a slightly heavier game for my order so that's all good.

Also, if anyone can help me out with what Carcassonne expansions are either "must haves" and/or best for 2 players that's be cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2 players, we really like Carcassonne: The Castle. It was one of our first boardgames and we still enjoy playing it. But it's on the lighter side (similar to Ticket to Ride).

For something heavier, we like Reef Encounter for 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I'd not even heard of Reef Encounter, hasn't been suggested to me before. Another one to check out further

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Holt
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
Small World is super fun! My friends and I play it about every other week. I recommend it!

Summoner wars plays more like a table top miniature game but with cards. It's a great game too and it's pretty cheap to change factions if you want to. A new faction will only run you about 10 bucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- 1 Small World (boring, at least that's my opinion)
+ 1 Summoner Wards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aagh conflicting opinions! surprise lol If I remember correctly I think what I thought would be a bit boring about Small World is the chasing the other person around the board thing. (Hope I got the right game!)

Does anyone have an opinion on the Game of Thrones card game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Will would be perfect!

It scales really, really well from 2 - 5 players.

I love its "backward" mechanic which ties in perfectly to the theme. Everyone starts with the same amount of money. The first one to get rid of all of their money wins.

It has interaction without being too cut-throat. There are several different paths to victory.

I also recommend Finca and Vikings. Both of these are more abstract, but a lot of fun. (Vikings is out of print, but maybe you'll see one somewhere. Finding Finca is no problem.) While I always seem to recommend these two together, they are different games. They feel similar because their weights and game length are almost the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small-no luck. Very tight game (for only 2p) where every time you choose your spot, you deny it to your opponent. I am constantly holding my breath, hoping my husband doesn't go where I want before I can get there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line is an excellent game and great choice. Take a look at Babel and Dragonheart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qudoz wrote:
Aagh conflicting opinions! surprise lol If I remember correctly I think what I thought would be a bit boring about Small World is the chasing the other person around the board thing.

That's exactly what it is... spread out your race tokens, conquer a bit, go in decline after your race is getting too weak (one of this game's mechanisms) then pick another race, and conquer again.. etc. etc. This goes on back and forth, over and over for a certain number of rounds.

Races have different powers and benefits to set them apart and to create a bit of variation. But still... I just don't like it, I find it, as I mentioned earlier, very boring and not exciting whatsoever. But your mileage may vary... just my two cents.

A conquering game which I do like is Cyclades. Much, much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.