Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2 vs 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff James
msg tools
I play most games with my wife and another couple the problem is the women don't like to hurt or take advantage over each other. Where me and the other guy like to and most of the games we get screwed cuz we find joy in messing with each others plans and their plans. Most of the games we end up playing against each other and team "WIFES". What I'm thinking is we need a team game us vs them. We have played co-ops but like the "take that" aspect of competive games. The game has to be pretty light and have some luck involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
IF, if, IF you can get the wives on board, Wings of War: Famous Aces is a light WWI combat game where the goal is to shoot down the other team. It's fun, it's got enough luck for you, and it's a 2v2 game. But if they are not into the idea of plane combat, it might not be for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play Ingenious 2 vs. 2. I haven't played it that way, but have always wanted to try it. Also, the Team Asia part of Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia can be played 2 vs. 2. Another one I've wanted to try out for a while. Sorry, I have no personal experience with these.

Then, of course, there are card games like Tichu. A great game, but perhaps more complex than you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Iliad, 1 vs 1 or 2 vs 2. Great card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

I've played Innovation with the 2 vs 2 rules and think it plays very well and is a lot of fun! Check it out.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to get the Iello version of Innovation. Superior artwork compared with the previous version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff James
msg tools
Wings of war looks cool but I'm thinking they will not be into WWI air combat. I'm thinking any war game will be hard to get them on board. I was thinking after I started this thread they might like Kings of Tokyo. If there is a clear leader they will attack. It's just if the choice is one of the guys or the other woman it will always be the man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do a search for games with "Partnerships" mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Chrest
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Just mentioned in another thread that the game Plague plays quite well in 2 vs 2 team play. It is on Kickstarter right now. I bought a prototype copy at Gen Con. Really a neat take on trick-taking.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1243534184/plague-the-ca...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if they would like it because of the war and fantasy aspect, but Summoner Wars can go up to 2 players vs. 2 players with the use of 4 factions and the addition of another board. It's not that difficult to learn either. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Noel
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Conquest of planet earth might be what's your looking for, fun game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just got my non-gaming wife to play 1812: The Invasion of Canada with me and she loved it. Loved attacking my little guys (like all good wives whistle). It's a team game, 3 vs 2 but can be played with 4 or even down to 2 (which is how I prefer it. Not a big fan of team games). If this game appeals to you (individually), I bet you can get your group to play it. Play as the Americans, there's a debate the Canadian/British side is overpowered (though the designers adamantly state this is untrue and not all strategies have been explored), and give your wives the firstgame win that will bring them back again.

I'll give a big +1 to Innovation. Exactly what you're looking for. I have yet to play with someone who doesn't ask me to play it again. Including my wife
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjfalzone wrote:
Not sure if they would like it because of the war and fantasy aspect, but Summoner Wars can go up to 2 players vs. 2 players with the use of 4 factions and the addition of another board. It's not that difficult to learn either. Just a thought.
I've heard that SW gets slow and boring with 4 players...

My suggestion would be Dog, a nice light partnership game from the Parcheesi family.

Another one would be Inkognito. A somewhat old (1988) but interesting and beautiful deduction partnership game for 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David P
msg tools
mb
Catacombs can be played 2v2 and can be a lot of fun due to it's lighter strategic nature (of course some people find the dexterity component to be way MORE frustrating). Have 2 players control the heroes and 2 control the monsters and away you go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Two games that are not officially made for 2vs2 but which seem to work very well that way are Puerto Rico and Small World. I play those 2vs2 whenever I get a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elendil wrote:
Two games that are not officially made for 2vs2 but which seem to work very well that way are Puerto Rico and Small World. I play those 2vs2 whenever I get a chance.

in the same vein, you could probably play lots of games like that, where you co-ordinate and sum the victory points with another player.
Carcasonne, Settlers of Catan, Power Grid, Macao would all be interesting as a pair.

Not saying they'd be great, but it's worth a shot.

Only the truly agressive games would lose something with alliances, like Tigris and Euphrates or Risk style war games.

P.S For Catan I'd limit the intra-alliance trading to a single 1-for-1 trade per turn. Unlimited trading with the 'enemy' still!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.