Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been close to getting this but I play a lot with just me and my wife. How does it play with 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I've been close to getting this but I play a lot with just me and my wife. How does it play with 2?

Not great, in my opinion.
It's a great game for 3-6 but if there's just 2 of you there are better ways to spend your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not so great to be honest. I love this game but would never play it 2 player.
The real excitment in the game for staying in tokyo is if you can just survive enough of the slaughter to stay in till your next turn to get the Bonus points, not much of a issue if only one person between you and your next turn.
With 2 players it really comes down to who gets the necessary points first, rather than who can knock who out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does not work with 2 players at all. The starting player goes to Tokyo and stays there until he wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Originaldibbler wrote:
Does not work with 2 players at all. The starting player goes to Tokyo and stays there until he wins.

Or until he dies, since he can't heal while in Tokyo.

It is possible to play King of Tokyo with 2, but there are many better 2-player games out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Peters
United States
Saint Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played several two player games with my wife and it was not too bad. I agree it is better with three or more, but I still enjoyed it with my wife and would happily play again the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rio Malaschitz
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest to play variant, where every player manage two or three monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/843999/games-with-two-ya...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played it with 2. As an inbetween filler it works great. I couldn't see playing it all night long, but a game or two here or there is really fun.

It also helps to start with 3-5 energy cubes at the beginning to get more card action involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KoT works fine with 2 players but, as others have said, a) it gets way more fun with 3 or more and b) there are other 2-player games that would probably be a better use of your time and money if that is going to be your group size most of the time.

For example, if you're looking for a good 2-player dice-rolling game, I recommend Quarriors! It's also quick, pretty simple and lots of fun.

If you want a good 2-player tactical dueling game, you might want to look at Summoner Wars.

Just some ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
its alright, much better than I thought it would be. There's some interesting push-pull because you can't heal in Tokyo. Not sure how often I'd want to play it 2 player, and I wouldn't buy it predominantly for 2 player, but my girlfriend requests it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Other Tom
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sixthecat wrote:
As an inbetween filler it works great. I couldn't see playing it all night long, but a game or two here or there is really fun.

SirHandsome wrote:
its alright, much better than I thought it would be. There's some interesting push-pull because you can't heal in Tokyo.

My thoughts exactly. Some of the comments mentioned above are too harsh. I play most all games I own 2-player only. It's worth having in your collection as it is an easy game to teach even to non-gamers. While it would not be one of my "go to" games for 2-player, it would definitely be one that I will play if I want something really short and light even if it is with just two.

The biggest difference I see when playing with two is typically a monster will die before they get to 20 VP's. That isn't always the case but usually at least in the games I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I really like this game, and we most often play it with two. It's also one of the few games we have that my autistic daughter will generally play, on the rare occasion that she'll play a game. So we're most often at 2, but sometimes three. A bit different dynamics, but fun both ways, for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game there is a 2 player condition at a given point.

You could adjust the rules to meet the midgame conditions like (just guessing):
- start the game with less (8?) life points
- (based on super power variant) give one random keep card
- give 8 energy cubes minus the value of the previously dealt keep card.
- game ends at less (12?) destruction points.
- ? stay in tokyo only gives 1 star
- ? leave tokyo upon attack could be mandatory

or just play witth "the dead", ot with two monsters each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjørnar Løseth
Norway
Bergen
Hordaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it some with just 2, and there is no such thing as to enter Tokyo and stay there 'till you win. Staying in Tokyo in my experience means certain death. It surely works (and can be some fun) with 2 players, but I would prefer 4 or more players.

With two players? Play Knizia's Decathlon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keegan
United States
Whitman
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of the cards just don't mesh well with 2 players. Wings can be a little too powerful since you can basically ignore damage as long as you keep at least 2 energy available. If you have Wings and you are in Tokyo your opponent is pretty much screwed, although they can hope for something like Parasitic Tentacles to come up or that you just get really unlucky and roll no energy. Also, Nova Breath is a useless card in 2 player games.
Still, as other said it's not awful with 2 players but definitely plays better with more people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I have loads of fun playing this as a 2-player game. Going for VP takes a back seat to just clobbering each other, which is different from our other games. It's great to be able to clobber him without having to work so hard for it once in a while . Yes, some of the cards don't work but it doesn't really bother us much. I guess it comes down to your expectations. The game goes really quick so we find ourselves playing "just once more".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.