Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Miss.... and weak attacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
zen master
Italy
flag msg tools
Hi to All.

I was thinking to the damage caused by the attack of some monster (for example a Wraith)

Well. The Wraith causes 3 damage and if he misses the shot causes 1 damage.
But theoretically if the Wraith attacks with a die roll very low (for example "3", "2"or "5"….) as it does to inflict a wound? :-(
The shot is weak!

I've been thinking about it and I thought of a house rule:

The attack "miss" (from Heroes, Monsters, Villains) not damage if the dice roll show a result 5 or less.

what do you think about this?

Regards

Zen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The miss damage functions as a balancing mechanism to ensure that the fragile monsters provide a certain level of threat before being vanquished and that the once-a-game daily powers are sometimes not completely wasted if they miss.

It has been proposed that a "1" is always a complete fail (no miss damage) which imo is ok since a "20" can mean +1 damage.

So a low roll can be a weak hit but still a hit, and a "1" is definitely a fumble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike oldham
United States
lake station
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
The miss damage functions as a balancing mechanism to ensure that the fragile monsters provide a certain level of threat before being vanquished and that the once-a-game daily powers are sometimes not completely wasted if they miss.

It has been proposed that a "1" is always a complete fail (no miss damage) which imo is ok since a "20" can mean +1 damage.

So a low roll can be a weak hit but still a hit, and a "1" is definitely a fumble.

I totally agree a natural "1" should be a fumble and a natural "20" is a crit so +1 damage gives the game a balancing effect for new addition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zen master
Italy
flag msg tools
Great!

This rule about 1 & 20 is very nice

Zen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.