Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Pegasus Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: What did we do wrong?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I have played many games with the base set, but yesterday was my first game using the expansions (we had Exodus in play using the Final Five option).

We played a 5-player game with a Cylon leader and the New Caprica option.

I created the loyalty deck as per rules on page 22 of the Exodus rulebook: 1x Cylon, 8x Not Cylon, 1 Hostile Agenda. Each player was dealt a single card except for the Cylon Leader. After sleeper agent phase, there was 1 loyalty card remaining in the deck (I assume in case anyone was executed and we followed those rules for adding to the loyalty deck).

The Cylon Leader seemed very weak in this game. On her turn, she drew her 2 cards (3 if Infiltrating) and that's about it. No crisis card (unless infiltrating), so not a whole lot of destruction unless she used the Cylon Fleet or Caprica option. Is it true that the Cylon can only add 1 skill card to each skill check (2 while infiltrating)?

The other cylon player revealed before suspicions were high, went to the Resurection Ship, and just hung out there to draw super crises. At no point did we have a chance to execute a cylon before New Caprica because they weren't on our ship.

Once on New Caprica, we never executed a Cylon because it seemed all that happens is they go to the Medical Center. We did not reveal Crises cards on Cylon turns (unless they used the action that said to do so).

For the special Skill Check actions, we resolved all of the ones that said Skill Check but never a Reckless Skill Check card because no one ever played a Reckless card before the skill check. Are cylon players allowed to make a skill check Reckless? If so, that does not count toward their card limit for adding to the check, right?


Do Cylon Leaders start with a Super Crisis card? Do revealed cylon players draw a Super Crisis card when they reveal?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Cylons are limited to adding one card to a skill check if they have revealed. If the Cylon Leader infiltrates he can add two cards.

2. An infiltrating Cylon or an unrevealed Cylon could play a card to make a skill check reckless. This would not count against the limit of two cards. Once revealed they cannot use the text on skill cards (exception they can use the text on Treachery cards).

3. Cylon Leaders do not start with a super crisis. If he infiltrates then stops infiltrating he can grab one by using the action on Resurrection ship.

4. Regular Cylons do get a super crisis when they reveal (exception, they do not get one if they reveal through execution).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
From what you say, it sounds like we played correctly. We ended up finishing the game with 7 Food, 4 Fuel, 2 Morale, and 4 Population. That seemed rather high, especially for having a Hostile Leader in play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
The Cylon Leader seemed very weak in this game. On her turn, she drew her 2 cards (3 if Infiltrating) and that's about it. No crisis card (unless infiltrating), so not a whole lot of destruction unless she used the Cylon Fleet or Caprica option. Is it true that the Cylon can only add 1 skill card to each skill check (2 while infiltrating)?
FWIW, CL get to use their special abilities while as cylon, whereas revealed cylons just become "generic characters"

wizcreations wrote:
The other cylon player revealed before suspicions were high, went to the Resurection Ship, and just hung out there to draw super crises. At no point did we have a chance to execute a cylon before New Caprica because they weren't on our ship.
FWIW again, it eats up whole turns drawing a super crisis cards, all the while, drawing only 1 skill card. Then you need to spend an action to play each one.

wizcreations wrote:
Once on New Caprica, we never executed a Cylon because it seemed all that happens is they go to the Medical Center. We did not reveal Crises cards on Cylon turns (unless they used the action that said to do so).
It's worth executing unrevealed cylons if they're doing more harm than good at human locations (e.g. Breeders Canyon), or with titles (jumping as the Admiral), but otherwise, it's not something that's used alot (which helps explain why it only has 7-difficulty)

.

wizcreations wrote:
From what you say, it sounds like we played correctly. We ended up finishing the game with 7 Food, 4 Fuel, 2 Morale, and 4 Population. That seemed rather high, especially for having a Hostile Leader in play.
You said "her", so I assume the CL was Cap6? Also, what did her Agenda turn out to be?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
we had no unrevealed cylons on New Caprica, so I guess it makes sense for us to not have executed anyone. The cylon leader was Cap 6 and her agenda was Grant Mercy (humans win and some resource had to be at 2 or less)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
we had no unrevealed cylons on New Caprica, so I guess it makes sense for us to not have executed anyone. The cylon leader was Cap 6 and her agenda was Grant Mercy (humans win and some resource had to be at 2 or less)


I think you had an easy game because your Cylon Player failed to stay hidden and sow suspicion. This was especially important since you had a Cylon Leader who sided with the humans.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
Once on New Caprica, we never executed a Cylon because it seemed all that happens is they go to the Medical Center.

They also lose their hand of cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
wizcreations wrote:
Once on New Caprica, we never executed a Cylon because it seemed all that happens is they go to the Medical Center.

They also lose their hand of cards.

But with them drawing only 2 cards per turn, they never had a large hand. They still only draw 2 cards, right?

This didn't happen, but if a Cylon were infiltrating when the New Caprica phase started, would they only be able to perform human actions on the New Caprica board for the rest of the game? If they were executed, would they then be able to perform cylon actions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cylons still draw 2 cards while on New Caprica. Cylon Leaders draw three if infiltrating.

If the Cylon leader is infiltrating when the fleet reaches New Caprica he is treated as a human and uses the human actions on the board. If he is executed or stops infiltrating he goes to the Medical Center if Galactica has not returned. Then he will use the Cylon actions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Also, quick heads up, NC has no way to infiltrate. So if you have a Cylon leader who want humans to win, he better infiltrate before New Caprica or he is stuck taking cylon actions or passing until Galatica returns.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You were playing a 4v1 game, where, from the sound of things, the 1 Cylon didn't do anything particularly nasty. It sounds like the Final Five/Personal Goals didn't play a significant role either. Unless the Crisis decks were particularly vicious, of course you were going to win easily.

It sounds like you didn't do anything wrong, you just got (un)lucky.

This is one reason I'm not a big fan of Cylon Leaders in 5-player games - in 4/6-player, they're better than Sympathiser; in 5, they're worse than having a second Cylon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
we had no unrevealed cylons on New Caprica, so I guess it makes sense for us to not have executed anyone. The cylon leader was Cap 6 and her agenda was Grant Mercy (humans win and some resource had to be at 2 or less)


All your Cylons are revealed at New Caprica -- ALL CYLONS: revealed or not go to the Cylon New Caprica start location, so they are separated from humans at this point.

wizcreations wrote:


This didn't happen, but if a Cylon were infiltrating when the New Caprica phase started, would they only be able to perform human actions on the New Caprica board for the rest of the game? If they were executed, would they then be able to perform cylon actions?


Even if infiltrating, Cylons are sent to the same start location when New Caprica starts. Infiltration cant happen on New Caprica (until Galactica comes back I guess?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kismet wrote:

All your Cylons are revealed at New Caprica -- ALL CYLONS: revealed or not go to the Cylon New Caprica start location, so they are separated from humans at this point.


This is not the way everyone else is playing. This variant would make it pointless to not reveal before New Caprica. Note that in the rulebook(s) "Cylons" refer to unrevealed cylons and "Humans" to both human and unrevealed cylon players. (It is even said somewhere in there.. right, see page 7 of the Pegasus rulebook.)

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, a game rule that automatically made cylons reveal themselves would be seriously broken.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Yap
Philippines
Pasig City
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I'm going to repeat what the two previous posters said: Unrevealed Cylons are still treated as Human players on New Caprica. In addition, an Infiltrating Cylon Leader is also treated as a Human player on New Caprica. They all go to Resistance HQ together with the other Humans when New Caprica phase begins.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.